Forum Member

Default is there counselling?

Hi!

Can someone tell me if the fire dept,police,etc have good counselling departments?Is there much on offer for anyone who needs to talk about a traumatic event that has occurred.Was there anything available for 9/11 and is counselling compulsary or frowned upon?

Forum Member

Nearly all larger, and some smaller departments (both PD and fire) have grief counselors. They are usually all trained in CISD, Critical Incident Stress Debriefing.

The counselors that are used in these sessions are almost always members of the department that experienced the incident, but there are times that counselors from outside the affected department are used.

Attendance may, or may not be mandatory. It is usually determined by the nature of the incident and the individual department's policy.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

I know getting denied for a grant can be hard but I dont' think its that bad to need counseling.
    Seriously though I don't know where you're located but New Jersey has an 800 number for this. You can get more info here http://www.njdcisr.org/cism.html. You're state might have something similar.

Forum Member

I don't need counselling.Yet.
    I am a trauma and bereavement counsellor in England.I just wanted to know how your system worked compared to ours.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by english View Post
    I am a trauma and bereavement counsellor in England.I just wanted to know how your system worked compared to ours.
    Actually in cases of Presidentially declared disasters, the Robert Stafford Act kicks in which does allow for "professional mental health counseling", not only for affected citizens and victims but, also for emergency first responders. I worked quite closely with a psychologist doing just that in the aftermath of Katrina in New Orleans for their police officers.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Question Question time

Quote Originally Posted by english View Post
    Can you tell me when counselling came into being in England and in particular the LFB?

Having done 20yrs in that Brigade-left in Nov 1981-DSI-all "our"counselling up until then was done round the mess room table.

Forum Member

Counselling,I'm told was introduced to England in 1965.It began in a girls school.
    As for counselling in the fire departments I'm not sure when that started.Hopefully I'll learn and let you know as I'm doing a further course to be able to counsel firefighters in particular.
    I hear that counselling around the table at work is still the prefered method but I guess there are some things you just don't want to discuss or tell your work collegues about.

Forum Member

Is counselling something that firefighters have to pay for or is it free?Can you choose where you want the sessions to take place,such as the firehouse,home or at the office of the counsellors?

Forum Member

Here in Kentucky, we have a crisis response team on the state level. It is mobilized through our state duty officer (think of a clearinghouse for resources beyond the county level, particularly for major incidents) at the request of any local agency.

Common reasons for requests include firefighter line-of-duty deaths; prolonged emotional incidents (such as searches for bodies in floods, etc); civilian fatalities or grievous injuries; and much more.

We have utilized these folks here a couple times lately, and they are excellent. They include mental health professionals, clergy, and much more. After a recent LODD, they came here in the middle of the night and stayed for several hours, making multiple return trips and meeting with the firefighters' spouses as well, counselling them on how to help their husbands.

Anyhow, you can read more about them here:

http://kccrb.ky.gov/
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

That's great to hear.
    I was wondering if family is also covered by counsellors.I would like to see more counsellors/therapist talk to families.Alot of partners/spouses and family don't always understand what a firefighter or any of the other emergency services go through on a day to day basis or at big call outs.Maybe seperation and divorce rates would be lower if there was more help.Unfortunately,I've not heard of much help here.America seems to be more together.

Thread Information