Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Breech31

Thread: Advice for Wi DNR Firefighters

Forum Member

Default Advice for Wi DNR Firefighters

Anyone KNow how to join the Wi DNR for wildland firefighting as a paid seasonal position? I should have my red card mid march.

Thumbs up WiDNR

Sense you have already got all your required Wildland FF Training all you should have to do is go to your local DNR Service Center and talk to an area Ranger and find out the information about if they offer a "Rider" or "LTE Forest Firefighter" Postion and the requirements.

Just as FYI for anyone esle that maybe interested in WiDNR Wildland Firefighting or National Wildland Firefighting, UW-Stevens Point offers a 3 or 4 day course that gets you "certified" for Wisconsin Wildland firefighting and I think it also gives you your qualifications for your National Firefighter Type II certification for National Firefighter (within the US).
    Here is the address for more information. According to the site the 2007 class is currently running and closed for new students. They I do believe offer it every year around this time.
    http://www.uwsp.edu/stuorg/fire/springclass.html

Hope this Helps! Stay Safe!

Forum Member

that is some good information, i never thought about at DNR firefighting job. I am very interested even tho i missed this springs session, depending on where i am i will probably sign up for it next year. Is there any limit on how many apply and can be in the course? Thanks for the info.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MMedrow21 View Post
    that is some good information, i never thought about at DNR firefighting job. I am very interested even tho i missed this springs session, depending on where i am i will probably sign up for it next year. Is there any limit on how many apply and can be in the course? Thanks for the info.
    I believe that they dont have a limit. This past class they had about 60 some students. I have heard numbers from past classes that there where numbers around 100, so. For the best info you may want to contact an instructor before that class or just sign up early lol. I took it I wanna say 3 years ago and at that time it was only 3 days long, so it goes to show that things have changed in a short amount of time.

Again after you complete the course and pass all the needed testing, go to the WiDNR web site and see if your area is being protected by the DNR.The DNR has three different types of protection that they do: Intensive,Extensive and Co-Op. I am not sure but I think that not all protection areas offer a "rider" or "LTE Firefighter" program. Best is to check with your local DNR Serivce Center.

Hope this helps and Good Luck! Stay Safe!

Forum Member

I know there is a 3 day class starting march 13 in wascott to get in you could call the Brule Wi DNR station and they could get you in touch with the right person.

Exclamation ATC Course offering

Hello all,
    Just an update for persons interested in WDNR Firefighting, after looking around I found out through fellow DNR LTE firefighters that Fox Valley Technical College (Appleton Campus) offers a(n) ATC (Advanced Technicial Certificate) for Wildland Firefighter. This certificate will get you your Wisconsin Wildland and I think your National Firefighter Types II and I. It also gives you some more qualifications aswell. For complete info on the program check out the link below:

http://www.fvtc.edu/public/academics...?plan=21-057-1

Hope this helps out, Stay Safe!!

Forum Member

Default great class!

For all interested, I took the Wildlands FF course at FVTC in January of 2008, with Rick Buser and Chris Klahn. It was a great course, and a good time, taught by instructors who work for the WI DNR and have 'been there, done that." After completion of the week long course, you will have completed S-130, S-190, L-180, "Meeting all of the criteria in the NWCG Field Manager's Course Guide as Authorized by MOU With Wi DNR." That is all I needed to get on board with the DNR in the spring of 2008 as an LTE Fire Rider in Langlade County. WHile it was a pretty wet spring, I did get in on some fires, and got some great experience in non-fire related stuff. I absolutely loved the experience, and because of it, I'm in the MATC Fire Academy in Madison, WI.
    NeilRatz likes this.

Forum Member

Not only does Fox Valley Technical College offer your basic and entry level classes, they also have an Associates Degree program for Wildland Fire. It covers everything from From S-190 to S-390 and everything in between. I believe you can also take these classes independently from the AAS as well.

Thread Information