MembersZone Subscriber

Default Boston Ladder Trucks with pump and tank?

THIS THREAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THEIR RECENT INCIDENT!!!

I am hoping that someone from the BFD or the Boston area would have an answer to my question. I'll give it a shot, and if not, I might have to contact E-One direct and see what they say.

My department purchased an E-One demo ladder truck over here in the Syracuse, NY area. The truck is 3 years old and in excellent condition.

Now supposedly, the truck was speced out for the Boston Fire Department, along with a twin which was also sold as a demo around the same time, but the deal fell through as they just started buying Pierce. So guys in my department were told that our truck was actually speced out by the Boston Fire Department, for the Boston Fire Department.

I on the other hand don't believe it because the truck has a pump and tank on it, and looking at their fleet, I don't see any of their ladder trucks with a pump and tank on it.

Is it possible that they were going to give it a try?

If I can't get an answer on this, I wonder if giving E-One the serial # of the truck if they will tell me who actually speced it out and who it was initially going to be sold to?
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Forum Member

They're called Quints!

And they're not real ladders

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by 23StepMan View Post
    They're called Quints!

And they're not real ladders
    That's because you need an engineer to operate it, not just a truck driver

Let the flaming begin!
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

not spec'd for Boston

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe it was spec'd for Boston, but because of some errors in paperwork, the deal fell through because it was built with a pump and tank.....just maybe.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Lightbulb And.............

Chris - Couple of Questions...... 1. Is it a Truck with a Tank and Pump or is it a Quint? There IS a difference. Quints have Less Ground Ladders, Hose Bed with plenty of supply line, Attack Lines, etc. A Truck can still be a Truck 100% AND have a small (200-250 gal.) tank and a PTO Pump. This is a Truck, not a Quint. 2. Have you talked to anyone associated with your area E One dealer? These folks should have a handle on stuff like that. FYI, Anne Arundel County, Maryland has several E One Quints, and they run as such, being assigned to a Truck or Engine function as appropriate.

BTW, is your Snow melting yet?? I saw a Clip on the Weather Channel yesterday from Brewerton where they were digging out from a LOT of it.....
    Last edited by hwoods; 02-24-2007 at 01:18 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We run it first out utilizing the quint concept. Our other station runs an engine first out. Now that I think about it, I do not know if it meets the NFPA 1901 requirement of having 115 feet of ground ladders on it, be be considered a true truck. It does meet the specs of a quint however.

I also believe that it was the dealer who sold us the truck who said it was made for Boston FD, but again, I am just looking for more fact on it.

Here is a photo:

Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    That's because you need an engineer to operate it, not just a truck driver

Let the flaming begin!
    I'm at a loss after that one~

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey! How does everyone feel about the Quint concept? Do you like it? Does it work? Does it make fire protection in a community better? What do you think?

Forum Member

I think for a larger department that has an ample amount of equipment available, but doesn't really have a huge need for larger aerial equipment, a Quint is a great tool.

Our department is a pretty large service with an extremely high call volume, and we don't really have much of a problem with lack of resources, so all but 3 of our aerials have a pump. Now, not all of them operate as a Quint, because most of them have a 95' platform. However, as long as you're not there by yourself for an extended period of time with only 300 gallons of water, it's great fun to be able to operate as a Ladder or a Pumper.

My $0.02

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

GeorgeWendtCFI: Hey! How does everyone feel about the Quint concept? Do you like it? Does it work? Does it make fire protection in a community better? What do you think?
    Oh my God George...I damn near spit all over the monitor when I read this. So genuine and innocent sounding...you Sir are the Master.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    Oh my God George...I damn near spit all over the monitor when I read this. So genuine and innocent sounding...you Sir are the Master.

FyredUp
    And he got a newbie hook, line, and sinker!

Forum Member

Yeah, I'm rather new to the forum and apparently I don't know George- just disregard my post.

Forum Member

Yeah, I'm rather new to the forum and apparently I don't know George- just disregard my post.

Yes, he got you. But dont sweet it. .

The quint v truck thing has been beat to death here. What youll find is that the reason some of the brothers dont like quints is based on the fact that in certain areas of the county they have been used to cut manpower. They buy a quint, and then close either an engine or a truck company, since the quint can do both (somewhat).

Other areas of the country, like mine, dont do that. We still have seperate truck and engine companies, although with very few exceptions, all our trucks are quints.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

That's the way most of our Trucks are- but like I said, full platform aerials. Either way, wish I wasn't so new here and didn't look mildly retarded.

MembersZone Subscriber

That's the way most of our Trucks are- but like I said, full platform aerials. Either way, wish I wasn't so new here and didn't look mildly retarded.

Don't worry. We were all new once!

MembersZone Subscriber

when I visted Station 1 in Boston, they had a truck with 2 attack lines mounted on it. I didnt ask about it but it seemed different. Probably just a small 250 gpm pump that can maintain 2 attack lines for car fires and dumpster fires.

Or urban renewal if needed

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Hey!!..........

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1 View Post
    Don't worry. We were all new once!
    Speak for yourself, young Man. A few of us were never young......... Right, George?........ George??..
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Speak for yourself, young Man. A few of us were never young......... Right, George?........ George??..
    You guys were born in turn out gear right? Oh, wait, George was born with a gun belt on, sorry, forgot that part.

Either way, I bet it was painful for your Mother!!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

I just confirmed things. It is a true truck per NFPA 1901 standards. It has 125 feet of NFPA certified ground ladders. I also got the S.O # which Emergency One gives to each truck right from the drawing board, and will contact them with it to see who it was originally ordered for.
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firetacoma1 View Post
    And he got a newbie hook, line, and sinker!
    Never fails, man. Never fails.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    when I visted Station 1 in Boston, they had a truck with 2 attack lines mounted on it. I didnt ask about it but it seemed different. Probably just a small 250 gpm pump that can maintain 2 attack lines for car fires and dumpster fires.

Or urban renewal if needed
    Are you sure it was Boston and not a near by city? The reason I ask is there is no Station 1 in Boston. Ladder 1 is with Engine 8 in the North End and it does not have a pump. The only Boston ladder I can remember with a pump is Tower Ladder 3, housed with Engine 10 and Rescue 1 on Purchase Street. It was an E-One but I think it's bucket got torn off in front of the station by a passing ambulance.

Forum Member

EOne: "If you buy our trucks, we will have a repair center built in Houston. Your trucks will be fixed in a timely manner."

Me as we pass Stewart and Stevenson: "There's one of our new E Ones."

My wife: "Wy is it painted tan?"

Me: "That's not paint, it's dirt. The truck has been sitting there so long that the earth is starting to cover it like an Etruscan vase."

Customer service totally blew. The trucks ride like jackhammers. The ACs put out more water than the pumps. You must press the accelerator 3-10 seconds before you actually want to accelerate. The crosslays are too narrow.

Forum Member

It has 125 feet of NFPA certified ground ladders.

Which makes me EVEN more suspicious someone was pulling your leg on where the truck was built for.

Any Boston Buffs out there to confirm what they carry? I'd be amazed if they don't meet or exceede the old NFPA requirements (what was that, 220' or so?)

Especially given they were throwing 50s just this past week!

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/G...36969_5759.jpg

That's from the Globe. http://www.CapeCodFD.com has a bunch more.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Chris - Couple of Questions...... 1. Is it a Truck with a Tank and Pump or is it a Quint? There IS a difference. Quints have Less Ground Ladders, Hose Bed with plenty of supply line, Attack Lines, etc. A Truck can still be a Truck 100% AND have a small (200-250 gal.) tank and a PTO Pump. This is a Truck, not a Quint. 2. Have you talked to anyone associated with your area E One dealer? These folks should have a handle on stuff like that. FYI, Anne Arundel County, Maryland has several E One Quints, and they run as such, being assigned to a Truck or Engine function as appropriate.

BTW, is your Snow melting yet?? I saw a Clip on the Weather Channel yesterday from Brewerton where they were digging out from a LOT of it.....
    I don't care what the ISO, NFPA, or IFSTA define as a quint, if it has the ability to pump water and carries water along with an aerial devise, it is a quint! The fact that they put a pump and water tank in in to take up space that could be used for other equipment, in my mind make it a quint.

Thread Information