Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Too out of shape?

Hey everyone, I am about 270 and 6'1", and I am enrolled at the local community college Academy here in KC. I started running this week, a mile every day, and the HIIT sprints after. After one week, my mile time is about 10-11 minutes. I am also strength training 4x a week, and eating right, supplementing with protein shakes after workouts. Now, the Academy starts in August and runs til December. By the end of Academy, the goal is to run 2 miles in 14 minutes. If I keep up this routine throughout, is 2 miles in 14 minutes reachable? Also, am I too overweight to be a FF? (Fat% ~33%)
    Thanks,
    Josh

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you enrolled at Blue River Fire Academy? If so your PT test will be to run a 1.5 miles in 13 min 54 sec.

Yes I am...I'm assuming you went through that academy, any advice? The paperwork for the physical said two miles in 14:00, I thought that was a little much..the 1.5 miles in 13:54 is much more achievable..

MembersZone Subscriber

I am in the academy now. I recieved the same paperwork that you did. When we started the academy we found out that our fit test for pt would be 1.5 mile run in 13:54, 32 push ups in 1 min and 32 situps in 1 min. I would say keep trying to push yourself for the 2 mile run. I know for our pt we up our runs every week and will be doing a 3 mile run by class finish.

As far as any advice for the academy, be on time, and move with a purpose. It has been a great experience so far and as the days go by it is better and better. The instructors are great and informative and their to help you accomplish your goal as long as you are putting forth the expected effort.

Good luck.

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it. I will keep pushing myself, I want PT to be as easy as possible...thanks again, and good luck to you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Josh- anything is possible

You don't tell me in your post what your body fat % is, so I don't quite know how to help you. I'll try to hit this from a few angles.

Yes, I agree, you should push yourself to do even more than the 2 miles. That way, when the day comes, you will feel like what they have you do is easier. But, you need to have a plan, and do it gradually. I would be careful, with your weight, though, and focus on increasing your lean body mass so that when you do cardio, (and just function all day) you burn more fat for fuel. I would think about trying to watch what you eat. I have an article on nutrition for training like you are doing. It might be alot of work for you, but it will help you get leaner.

Nutrition for Firefighters:

Introduction:
    Try the best to follow these guidelines. Shoot for perfection and give yourself room to be human. I do not recommend people eat vegetarian because it disallows pure protein, which is most easily absorbed into muscle tissue. In short, I tried it, and it made me fat and weak. (And I was eating very healthy, whole foods). This is aimed at getting all your essential fatty acids, protein and vitamins necessary for health and strength building.

Shopping:
    I shop at Whole Foods (or Whole paycheck, whichever you want to call it) when the budget allows. Thatís not always possible. When itís not, I make sure I wash my produce thoroughly with soap and water. The contents below are things one can get there. If you donít have a store such as this in your area, try your local health food store.
    Trader Joeís has great rice mixtures and lots of cheap raw nuts and seeds.

NO:
    hydrogenated oils/fats
    white flour
    white rice ( I will take you to whole foods and make you a rice mixture)
    corn syrup
    sugar
    syrup/honey
    you may only eat baby red new potatoes, otherwise, no potatoes.
    no alcohol, save a glass of wine once week
    packaged creamers, but you can use (organic?) 1/2 and 1/2
    processed food to the best of your ability

YES:
    So, that leaves fresh raw fruits and vegetables, the rice I show you how to make, and pure protein, and raw nuts and seeds.

Protein:
    Eat a fist size portion of pure protein with each meal. Pure protein is fish, eggs, low fat cottage cheese, chicken, lean pork, beef or other meat. When trying to put on muscle mass, eat 2 hard boiled egg whites every hour after your workout. This might interfere with a meal. Choose the eggs.

Fish:
    Eat deep sea fish when given the choice between that and river fish. I donít recommend eating trout or cat fish, and avoid bottom dwellers unless I just cant pass them up!

Carbohydrates:
    Do not eat any unanswered Carbohydrates. That is: always eat a pure protein with your fruit/vegetable/grains. Eat only fresh fruits and vegetables, and eat them raw as often as possible.

Organic:
    Try the best you can, within your budget to buy as much organic fruits and vegetables as you can. This significantly reduces the amount of poisons ingested, and allows your body to focus on the important thing: healing from your workouts.

Rice:
    Eat Ĺ cup of cooked brown rice with lunch and dinner. No instant. Read onÖ the fiber here is important. Make a bunch on the weekend. 2 cups of water-maybe more to 1 cup rice mix. Boil, and simmer for 40-45 min. I like to add a cube of bullion- organic is possible and no MSG for sure. If you canít get whatís listen below, try plain brown rice or a mixture found at Trader Joeís.

In the rice mix: I make this mixture up in advance. Then I have it for later.
    1 cup short grain brown rice. Bin # 6687
    2 cups mixed brown and wild rice. Bin #6670
    2/3 cup sesame seeds- raw- black or regular. Bin#6422
    1/2 cup red wheat berries. Bin #5908
    1 cup organic flax seed. Bin # 6407

Essential Fats:
    If you donít believe me, read Anne Louise Gittlemanís book, ďEat Fat, Lose WeightĒ. The right fats will help your body function better period- not to mention help you metabolize more fat off, and prevent heart disease. Twice a day, between meals, I eat a very small handful of this mixture of the raw nuts below. Remember that these bin numbers are those for Whole Foods. Trader Joes does not have bins.
    In the nut mix: all raw:
    2 cups spanish peanuts # 6354
    1 cup pecans # 6366
    1/2 cup pine nuts #6374
    1 cup walnuts #6396
    1 cup sunflower seeds #6433
    1 cup macadamia #6304
    1 cup cashews #6289
    1 cup almonds #6269
    1 cup pepitas- I lost the number

If you feel you have no hope of getting all this stuff, at least get a supplement, as listed below- of essential fatty acids and take that daily.

Nutritional Supplements:
    Everyone should take a multi, period. Buy these at your local healthfood store, or some such place. The multis that are mass produced, like centrum, are usually so coated with stuff that they are not digestible. They often pass through the digestive track in scathed. If you do have to use these, you should chew them, and wash them down with a large glass of water.

Essential fatty acids: again, buy them at the healthfood store if you can. Take as directed.

If you have joint pain or joint problems with your increases in training, I recommend Glucoseamine Sulfate (not Glucosamine HCL) at 1000-1500 mg./day. MSM can be used for inflammation. Take both as directed.

Traumeel is a homeopathic cream/gel rub I use for sports injuries and muscle and ligament sprains and strains. Search it up on the internet if you need to. Itís cheaper there than in stores. It works extremely well during your training.

Meal planning:
    I will give a daily plan here. Itís too complex to do many of them. Try to follow this exactly every day. The combinations are important, with respect to the ratios of carbs, fat and protein.

Breakfast:
    Large glass water with supplements
    3 egg whites/1 yellow or a scoop of low fat cottage cheese
    I piece of fruit
    Snack:
    Small handful of raw nuts
    2 egg whites- especially if you are training hard.
    Large glass of water
    Lunch:
    Large glass of water
    Scoop of rice mixture
    Fist sized portion of Protein: portion of tuna, chicken, lean beef, etc.
    Raw veggies- either a salad or a handful of other veggies
    Snack:
    Small handful of nuts
    2 egg whites- especially if you are training hard.
    Large glass of water
    Dinner:
    Large glass of water
    Scoop of rice mixture
    Fist sized portion of Protein: portion of tuna, chicken, lean beef, etc.
    Raw veggies- either a salad or a handful of other veggies
    A lightly cooked portion of veggies- fist sized

I will put up another post about other stuff...

Write me if have any questions! drjen@fireagility.com

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagiliity.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 03-03-2007 at 10:38 AM. Reason: typos

MembersZone Subscriber

Josh,

You don't say exactly what you do when you strength train. I am assuming you lift weights. The problem most people have is, they don't train hard enough. I hear these people complaining that they are not getting stronger, after all, they lift- 3 sets of each body part 2 to 3 times per week! If that's all it took, I'd have wasted years of my life in a gym.

I am cutting and pasting another response I wrote to someone else who asked why they weren't getting stronger. I am not necessariliy applying this to you. I am just trying to get the idea across that you should start with low weights and hi reps and go to hi weights and low reps within working out a muscle group. And you should train really hard.

Neither am I suggesting that you do this workout at any point. It is only what I do to completely exhaust my legs and stimulate strength building. Just running on your legs will not build the kind of strength needed to do the job of firefighter.

Here's what I told this guy:

Okay, it sounds like you are not training hard enough or long enough when you lift. 3 sets will do you no good. I will tell you my last leg workout, which I super setted with abs. This is only to illustrate how I think strength is built. You should not start out here. The basis is, I start out light and hi rep, then reduce reps and increase weight each set of decline leg press (but it could be anything- lat pulls, pec flies, leg extensions) until I am spent. The next time, I try to go higher- which would mean adding weight and doing less reps. Magically, the weight where I start with 20 will increase, and thus the end sets will have higher weights and the same reps. There is not rest between super sets, but you might need to do that. The weights go pretty heavy, and it might take you time to get to this- like years! You might never get to this-genetics are a very important factor! Please be careful, know your limits.

I super setted this decline leg press workout with bicycle abs. There's a picture of what they look like on this other web site of mine, click here: http://www.girlslax.org/circuit_training_boys.html

Super Set 1:
    Decline leg press, 1 45lb. plate on each side, 20 reps
    50 bicycle abs

Super Set 2:
    Decline leg press, 2 45lb. plates on each side, 18 reps
    50 bicycle abs

Super Set 3:
    Decline leg press, 3 45lb. plates on each side, 16 reps
    50 bicycle abs

Super Set 4:
    Decline leg press, 4 45lb. plates on each side, 14 reps
    50 bicycle abs

Super Set 5:
    Decline leg press, 5 45lb. plates on each side, 12 reps
    50 bicycle abs

Super Set 6:
    Decline leg press, 6 45lb. plates on each side, 10 reps
    50 bicycle abs

Super Set 7:
    Decline leg press, 7 45lb. plates on each side, 8 reps
    50 bicycle abs

Super Set 8:
    Decline leg press, 8 45lb. plates on each side, 6 reps
    50 bicycle abs

Super Set 9: I was spent, and could not increase by alot, so I did this
    Decline leg press, 8 45lb. plates on each side, plus a 25 lb. plate on each side, 4 reps (also failure- ugggh!)
    50 bicycle abs

Super Set 10: Now I go really light!
    Decline leg press, 1 45lb. plate on each side, 20 reps
    These I do really slow- like a 10 second count down and a 10 second count up. Wow this hurt!
    50 bicycle abs

This a quick and dirty leg and ab workout, and I am out of there in 45 minutes. If I keep moving the whole time, my heart rate stays up the entire time. I burn fat and increase strenght! Wahoo!

Your additions might have to be less. Adding a 45 each set is just quick, that's why I do it. With some people, I add a 25 (to each side) one set, the remove that, and add a 45 the next time. Then to that, I add a 25 (each side) the next time, and remove those 25's the next set, and add a 45 to each side. This way you are going up in smaller increments and don't go as high. OR: to be simple, you could do this whole thing with 25 lb plates instead of 45's! That would be easy!

I am not suggesting that you start with this much weight, or do this many sets. This is what I do on a heavy leg day. On that day, I do nothing else physical with my lower body AT ALL. These weights and reps took me years to work up to. I have been training with weights for 28 years consistantly.

My point is- work harder. 3 sets won't do you any good. 6 sets will. When you can work up to it, 8 sets will do you better, and 10 after that.

You could do this same type of workout with lat pulls and bicycle abs. Start with 60 lbs and 20 reps. Go up by 10 and down by 2. Super set with the abs. Go to failure or 4 reps. Start higher next month.

Are there light days between these heavy days? You bet.
    Do I get sore? You bet. It's almost nil if I stretch AFTERWARDS.
    Do the exercises change alot? Yup.
    How often do I do this to myself? No more than once a week.
    I might go heavy like this on upper body once a week also. Then I use Lat pulls to super set with abs, and got up a plate/pin whole each set. Or, I use pec flies, and start with 15 lbs, and go up by 2.5 lbs. per side each set.

I hope this will give you some ideas. Again, it took me years, plus some good genetics to get to these weights. Not everybody can even get there, and very few can get there fast. No offense, but the smaller you are, the harder it is. Women and small men need to work harder. Small women even harder.

With your size, you could be a great firefighter, and save alot of lives. Work hard (carefully) and you will reap the benefits.

I hope this is not too much info.

Dr. jen
    www.fireagility.com

Dr. Jen, thank you!
    My body fat% is about 33%. My strength training is chest (mon), back (tue), legs (thur), arms (fri). I do 4 sets of decreasing reps from 10, and increasing weight. Then I do a burnout set of 20+. I do about 6 exercises per day. My cardio varies, I run a mile two or three times a week. In addition, three times a week I jog for 10min, then do the Stairmaster level 6 for three minutes, then 20min interval training on a bike, then finish off with the Stairmaster again. I think I am making good progress, about 8 weeks ago, I was 287 and 36% body fat...oh, and btw..I tried that leg workout..it's pretty awesome!
    Thanks again!
    Josh

hey man increase your running after awhile and less weight and more reps when working out and just make sure that you are eating right. but just hang in there and remember NOTHING comes easy, it will take time and a lot of hard work

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Wow! Josh!

It sounds like you are doing alot! I might up the set from 4 of an exercise to 5 after a few weeks, then to 6. Maybe not, though, if you are doing 6 different chest exercises? Or are you including abs and stuff in there? I dunno...

It sounds like you are doing great! Keep working hard! Yeah, that leg workout keeps ya strong, alright. Twice a week, and not only am I spent, my legs don't need a ton more- maybe a bit of cardio. BUT- I am not training for what you are training for!

In losing that 17 pounds, think about how much muscle mass you had to put on! Losing 3% body fat that fast is great... Keep up the good work.

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 03-04-2007 at 11:54 PM. Reason: forgot something

Thank you, I've have been putting forth some effort , I do abs twice a week, 2 sets of burnouts for 2 different exercises (crunch and situp, usually). And this workout was recommended to me by at guy at the gym, and it seems to work well...thanks again for the help, Dr. Jen!

Forum Member

2 miles in 14 minutes is very doable. I used to do 2 miles in just a few seconds over 13 minutes in the Army PRT. I wasn't pushing too hard either.

Thread Information