Forum Member

Default A Medal of Honor Long Overdue

For anyone who has read We Were Soldiers Once.....And Young and recalls then Major Bruce Crandall and his exploits in the Ia Drang Valley, he will be receiving the Medal of Honor soon - 42 years later.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10336237/
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

I read the book, saw the film... and Major Crandall earned the MOH.

We owe him thanks and a debt of gratitude that cannot be repaid...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, I too read the book and saw the movie.

Kahoonuahs the size of church bells!

Should have had the Medal of Honor many years ago. It's the least we can do for the depbt of gratitude we owe him.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for posting. I just bought the movie (finally) a few days ago.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firetruckred View Post
    Thanks for posting. I just bought the movie (finally) a few days ago.
    Now you need to buy the book.

The movie mildly distorted the actions in Ia Drang. What was left was a more brutal battle when the relief troops had to hump out of jungle to another LZ. Some of the most brutal hand to had combat ever to take place.

Written by guys who were there and historically accurate. A novel (no pun intended) concept.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Yes, I too read the book and saw the movie.

Kahoonuahs the size of church bells!

Should have had the Medal of Honor many years ago. It's the least we can do for the depbt of gratitude we owe him.

If the movie got things even half right,anyone who flies into ground fire like that doesn't have anything else to prove on this Earth.
    The dustoff pilots that flew into fire without a way to defend themselves also richly deserved the medals they got.A shiny medal with a bit of pretty ribbon doesn't equal anywhere near what they did to earn them but there has to be a way to say thanks.

Forum Member

Crandall's wingman, "Too Tall" Freeman, got the MoH a couple years ago too.

My leadership class in the bachelor's program used "We Were Soldiers" as a midterm -we had to write papers on the leadership traits depicted. Boy, was that an easy paper-Hal Moore hit all the wickets.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv View Post
    Crandall's wingman, "Too Tall" Freeman, got the MoH a couple years ago too.

FREEMAN, ED W.

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress,
    March 3, 1863, has awarded in the name of The Congress the Medal of Honor to

CAPTAIN ED W. FREEMAN
    UNITED STATES ARMY

for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:

Captain Ed W. Freeman, United States Army, distinguished himself by numerous acts of conspicuous gallantry and extraordinary intrepidity on 14 November 1965 while serving with Company A, 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). As a flight leader and second in command of a 16-helicopter lift unit, he supported a heavily engaged American infantry battalion at Landing Zone X-Ray in the Ia Drang Valley, Republic of Vietnam. The unit was almost out of ammunition after taking some of the heaviest casualties of the war, fighting off a relentless attack from a highly motivated, heavily armed enemy force. When the infantry commander closed the helicopter landing zone due to intense direct enemy fire, Captain Freeman risked his own life by flying his unarmed helicopter through a gauntlet of enemy fire time after time, delivering critically needed ammunition, water and medical supplies to the besieged battalion. His flights had a direct impact on the battle's outcome by providing the engaged units with timely supplies of ammunition critical to their survival, without which they would almost surely have gone down, with much greater loss of life. After medical evacuation helicopters refused to fly into the area due to intense enemy fire, Captain Freeman flew 14 separate rescue missions, providing life-saving evacuation of an estimated 30 seriously wounded soldiers -- some of whom would not have survived had he not acted. All flights were made into a small emergency landing zone within 100 to 200 meters of the defensive perimeter where heavily committed units were perilously holding off the attacking elements. Captain Freeman's selfless acts of great valor, extraordinary perseverance and intrepidity were far above and beyond the call of duty or mission and set a superb example of leadership and courage for all of his peers. Captain Freeman's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit and the United States Army.

Another Dust-Off Army Aviator who was awarded the Medal of Honor is Colonel Mike Novosel - you REALLY ought to read about this guy's life before he went into the Army.

NOVOSEL, MICHAEL J.

Rank and organization: Chief Warrant Officer, U.S. Army, 82d Medical Detachment, 45th Medical Company, 68th Medical Group. Place and date: Kien Tuong Province, Republic of Vietnam, 2 October 1969. Entered service at: Kenner, La. Born: 3 September 1922, Etna, Pa. Citation: For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty. CWO Novosel, 82d Medical Detachment, distinguished himself while serving as commander of a medical evacuation helicopter. He unhesitatingly maneuvered his helicopter into a heavily fortified and defended enemy training area where a group of wounded Vietnamese soldiers were pinned down by a large enemy force. Flying without gunship or other cover and exposed to intense machinegun fire, CWO Novosel was able to locate and rescue a wounded soldier. Since all communications with the beleaguered troops had been lost, he repeatedly circled the battle area, flying at low level under continuous heavy fire, to attract the attention of the scattered friendly troops. This display of courage visibly raised their morale, as they recognized this as a signal to assemble for evacuation. On 6 occasions he and his crew were forced out of the battle area by the intense enemy fire, only to circle and return from another direction to land and extract additional troops. Near the end of the mission, a wounded soldier was spotted close to an enemy bunker. Fully realizing that he would attract a hail of enemy fire, CWO Novosel nevertheless attempted the extraction by hovering the helicopter backward. As the man was pulled on aboard, enemy automatic weapons opened fire at close range, damaged the aircraft and wounded CWO Novosel. He momentarily lost control of the aircraft, but quickly recovered and departed under the withering enemy fire. In all, 15 extremely hazardous extractions were performed in order to remove wounded personnel. As a direct result of his selfless conduct, the lives of 29 soldiers were saved. The extraordinary heroism displayed by CWO Novosel was an inspiration to his comrades in arms and reflect great credit on him, his unit, and the U.S. Army.

Forum Member

Lietenant Colonel (Ret.) received his Medal of Honor yesterday at the White House.

http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/cra...ion/index.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17352512/

This is his citation:

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:

Major Bruce P. Crandall distinguished himself by extraordinary heroism as a Flight Commander in the Republic of Vietnam, while serving with Company A, 229th Assault Helicopter Battalion, 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile). On 14 November 1965, his flight of sixteen helicopters was lifting troops for a search and destroy mission from Plei Me, Vietnam, to Landing Zone X-Ray in the la Drang Valley. On the fourth troop lift, the airlift began to take enemy fire, and by the time the aircraft had refueled and returned for the next troop lift, the enemy had Landing Zone X-Ray targeted. As Major Crandall and the first eight helicopters landed to discharge troops on his fifth troop lift, his unarmed helicopter came under such intense enemy fire that the ground commander ordered the second flight of eight aircraft to abort their mission. As Major Crandall flew back to Plei Me, his base of operations, he determined that the ground commander of the besieged infantry batallion desperately needed more ammunition. Major Crandall then decided to adjust his base of operations to Artillery Firebase Falcon in order to shorten the flight distance to deliver ammunition and evacuate wounded soldiers. While medical evacuation was not his mission, he immediately sought volunteers and with complete disregard for his own personal safety, led the two aircraft to Landing Zone X-Ray. Despite the fact that the landing zone was still under relentless enemy fire, Major Crandall landed and proceeded to supervise the loading of seriously wounded soldiers aboard his aircraft. Major Crandall's voluntary decision to land under the most extreme fire instilled in the other pilots the will and spirit to continue to land their own aircraft, and in the ground forces the realization that they would be resupplied and that friendly wounded would be promptly evacuated. This greatly enhanced morale and the will to fight at a critical time. After his first medical evacuation, Major Crandall continued to fly into and out of the landing zone throughout the day and into the evening. That day he completed a total of 22 flights, most under intense enemy fire, retiring from the battlefield only after all possible service had been rendered to the Infantry battalion. His actions provided critical resupply of ammunition and evacuation of the wounded. Major Crandall's daring acts of bravery and courage in the face of an overwhelming and determined enemy are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    Now you need to buy the book.

The movie mildly distorted the actions in Ia Drang. What was left was a more brutal battle when the relief troops had to hump out of jungle to another LZ. Some of the most brutal hand to had combat ever to take place.

Written by guys who were there and historically accurate. A novel (no pun intended) concept.
    Thank you. I will put it on the short list along with a few other books I intend to pick up. Looking forward to reading it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie View Post
    What was left was a more brutal battle when the relief troops had to hump out of jungle to another LZ. Some of the most brutal hand to had combat ever to take place.
    Amen to that. Read the late ABC reporter Jack Smith's account of the relief action.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firetruckred View Post
    Thank you. I will put it on the short list along with a few other books I intend to pick up. Looking forward to reading it.
    You will not be disappointed. I feel this som honestly that I recommend that you get the hardcover edition - as you will likely want to re-read it and want a more durable edition. Well worth the money.

Forum Member

I know I am preaching to the choir on this one. Crandall gets awarded the CMH and it rates a mention that only the truly interested would have noticed. Someone whose actions were a great contribution to our country.

Yet the death of Anna Nicole Smith (who didn't nothing more than take her clothes off) still dominates the airwaves.

It is a very sad commentary on the priorities of our society.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    I know I am preaching to the choir on this one. Crandall gets awarded the CMH and it rates a mention that only the truly interested would have noticed. Someone whose actions were a great contribution to our country.

Yet the death of Anna Nicole Smith (who didn't nothing more than take her clothes off) still dominates the airwaves.

To quote my Brother from Harwich who I share the brain with....

bing-fracking-oh!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

"They're" afraid of glorifying war or acknowledging that the concepts of Boy Scouting/ROTC or the Bible of putting others before yourself,or learning how to act and survive in situations where it ain't all that easy to actually work and mean something.

Forum Member

Saw this story on CNN last night and was thrilled to see this man receive the CMH. I have the honor of knowing a former Dustoff pilot who served in the Delta in the late 60's. Like most vets, he doesn't talk about those days. He's only shared a couple of stories over the years, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor every time. Think of all the pilots and crews and the thousands of lives they helped save and you can't help but realize the true meaning of the word "hero".
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

Forum Member

I thought the exact same thing on my way to work yesterday. Pretty much frosted my b@lls.

Forum Member

I own both the book and the movie and it is an amazing story.

Thanks for posting the story.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Thread Information