Thread: Get Motivated

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Get Motivated

hey everyone. aight, i am about to complete my 1041-Fire and Emergency Service Instructor from the fire academy. i have already decided to do RIT/MAYDAY as my first class to the department. however, my department kinda has a motivation problem when it comes to training. most of our training is done in a classroom. and whenever i try to do something that requires physical training, people are hesitant and dont really want to participate. we are volunteer, and a young department(the oldest guy in the department is in his 40's, and hes the chief). a lot of people in my department will say "you cant be so hard on us on training, were just volunteers". i really hate this and they use this excuse for a lot of things. what can i do to try and boost people to get out there are do some true training? i think it would be good for us because most of the training i want to do is physical. thanks everyone. stay safe.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinFFVFD View Post
    hey everyone. aight, i am about to complete my 1041-Fire and Emergency Service Instructor from the fire academy. i have already decided to do RIT/MAYDAY as my first class to the department. however, my department kinda has a motivation problem when it comes to training. most of our training is done in a classroom. and whenever i try to do something that requires physical training, people are hesitant and dont really want to participate. we are volunteer, and a young department(the oldest guy in the department is in his 40's, and hes the chief). a lot of people in my department will say "you cant be so hard on us on training, were just volunteers". i really hate this and they use this excuse for a lot of things. what can i do to try and boost people to get out there are do some true training? i think it would be good for us because most of the training i want to do is physical. thanks everyone. stay safe.
    Take this line..

"you cant be so hard on us on training, were just volunteers". ..
    and then ask them if they think the fire will burn a little less hotter or stay a little smaller "because we're just volunteers".

Ask them if they want to learn something that will enable themand their brothers/sisters to go home to their families at the end of a call.

If they don't want to train, ask them to resign.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

I agree with DaGonz here....

This will always be a sticky situation and what can work on some dept won't work on others and it comes to what you can live with.

The best suggestion would be to have a sit down with the fire chief and discuss your concerns about training. Is he one of the boys? or is he a leader? I would say talk about what you want to do for training with him first and if you get him on your side, he can get the dept to get more physical in training.

Second...don't have "classroom" training only. Have a drill set up so when the members get there you do your drill first, cleanup, and then classroom. Have something set up like a FF down and go right into the drill. Let the members do the drill first and then critique afterwards. Then you can see some things that can be trained on, or improved. Not just go in and say this is how we are going to do this. Let them make the mistakes and then learn from them.

Another motivator could be to set up a drill with a neighboring department. The members won't want to look stupid in front of another dept and may care enough to do more hands on training.

Look at www.firefighterclosecalls.com, find some examples of where there could have been better training (trust me they're in there) and use that for a motivator. Too many FF's have died and if you can't learn from the lessons they taught, then....the world needs ditchdiggers too.....they have no business being a FF if they don't want to train.

MembersZone Subscriber

These guys are on the ball. Your chief should be doing his part and backing training.

Another aspect is to have and maintain an training program. Classroom is good, but hand-on is better. Making classroom training more enjoyable will help, as well. If you can get to where you have several months training planned in advance, do so. Invite instructors in from other departments so that they don't have to listen to the same guy(s) over and over again.

One trick to get your guys' attention that might help with your RIT/Mayday training is to utilize NIOSH LODD reports. If you're wanting to make an impact, use one that happened close to you. With RIT/Mayday, find one where a RIT team could have made an impact on the end result, stressing the importance of what they're getting ready to learn. Make this the first thing in the class where it really hits home why you're taking that class.

MembersZone Subscriber

Tell them the only thing they "Volunteered" to do was join, and everything else comes with requirements.

Next time they pull the "V-card" out, tell them to take a hike.

And don't be "politically correct" about it either. IMO, there is no place for PC in the firehouse, plain and simple!!

MembersZone Subscriber

whenever i try to do something that requires physical training, people are hesitant and dont really want to participate.
    I have the opposite problem. Most members of my department would rather do hands-on training then sit in a classroom.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

The last time I checked, I'd never actually fought a fire while sitting in a chair inside a classroom. Learned...yes, Studied fire....yes, but never actually fought one there. Your folks need to get out and DO. I've had similar experiences with folks in the past. Best way I've found is to make it personal. For example, ask them point blank...What if it was your wife, daughter, son trapped inside that building....who would you want to rescue them? Have them look around the room and think about it. Just my couple of pennies.

MembersZone Subscriber

by the way, have any of you heard about NFPA or some group that may outlaw live fire training in abandoned homes and such because they are to dangerous? if so, what ways can you teach with live fire conditions while keeping it "safe"?

MembersZone Subscriber

I have never been a volly but we do have paid on call. We in the past we have had the same problem. We are also a young department and one thing I have found is that most sit thier and b!tch, but once you get them out and training most have fun and end up liking it in the end. My $.02 is that you don't give them a choice in the matter, and leave the b!tching to the wayside. Don't let it get to you. Just do it and leave it to them when they keep screwing up find a positive disipline liking picking up hose that has just fallen off the rig by accident. after a while they get the hint, and will not keep provoking you. Just my view the Idea is to go home from every fire in 1 piece. No heart attacks, No Injuries, No B!tching everyone trains as hard as they work in real life or go home.

Forum Member

by the way, have any of you heard about NFPA or some group that may outlaw live fire training in abandoned homes and such because they are to dangerous? if so, what ways can you teach with live fire conditions while keeping it "safe"?
    Get a copy of NFPA 1403.

And to be brutally honest, I can't imagine anyone coming close to be a certified instructor and not know a few basic NFPA codes.

I wish you luck.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I can't imagine anyone coming close to be a certified instructor and not know a few basic NFPA codes.
    i do know a lot of NFPA codes, but i did not know about this one. but i have to learn somhow. the instructor course only teaches me how to teach a class, not the material to use. so i have ask a few "easy" questions, but i dont want to get in front of these firefighters and make an a** out of myself because i dont know what i am talking about.

Forum Member

Kevin, part of the reason I said that is there is a 100 question test for Instructor 1. NFPA codes and what specific numbers covered what were about 10 of those questions. In NJ, the Division of Fire Safety banned acquired structure live burn training. It has to be done at an approved academy.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

If your people don't want to train, do as whats been said go over some close calls, put some of them on the spot and ask them what they'd do if they were in a close call situation. Hands on is the way to go teaching wise. The biggest thing I've learned over the years is just keep the classroom session brief, go over your plans and get out there and actually do it. Maybe your guys need to be advised the fd is'nt a social club as those days are long gone and if they don't like it show them the door. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

true. the textbook i have covers the NFPA codes i need. such as NFPA 1041-standard for fire service instructor professional qualifications.
    1402- guide to building fire service training centers.
    1403- standard for live fire training eveolutions (which answers my previous questions)
    1561- standard of fire department incident managment system
    1500- standard for fire department occupational safety and health program
    1521- standard for fire department safety officer

i went to the website for NFPA to find a book i could buy to go off of. but then i found out there are about 100 different books to chose from, all with different standards. which ones should i focus on? thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just completed my FESI 1 course. And one of the points made was you as the instructor needs to get/be motivated and show excitement. This will in turn get them motivated and excited. Or at least a few, which will lead to a few more....etc
    If you go in with the "just vollie" attitude, than the students will feel the same. Go in thinking WOW!! this is a great training. We'll have a fun and learn a lot!!

Just my 2 cents...
    Last edited by WaterbryVTfire; 02-27-2007 at 01:09 PM.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber

mayby you should have a brief training meeting.single out the biggest b!tchers by asking them why they are there.then tell them being a volunteer or paid FF training NEVER ENDS and your FD as a whole needs keep up on hands on so you guys can give your community the best fire service possible.also remind them that there families are apart of your community. if they don't respond s*!t can them,you will be better of in the long run good luck!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

If everyone is so dead set against actually physically drilling, just write up a note to the chief requesting a change in SOPs regarding response to structure fires. Basically say that instead of getting on the engine when the call comes in, everyone should run for the training room so you can use the white board and a few dry erase markers to put the fire out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Try to get motivation from with in. I like the idea of going to the Chief but try lower ranks first. Is there a Lt. or senior FF that every one gets along with or as much as I hate to say it "the cool group"? Get him to be on your side and soon more will follow. Also don't try to save the world on your first time out. Start small ie truck or Eng ops something that can be done in house but still hands on but low impact and hopefully before you know the people that were just "volunteers" will look forward to seeing what your trainnings have in store for them. Others will just sit in the back and cut you down and quite frankly **** you off but you have to kill them with kindness as much as it is hard to do.(trust me I know I am going thru the same thing) One thing that was always drilled into my head the fire service is quasi-military. Sometimes people forget that, it is how you remind them that makes you a leader or a dictator.

Thread Information