Question I want to be a firefighter, Do I finish my degree?

Hey,
    Im currently in my second year of a Bachelor of Commerce degree. But I know that I am going to be a firefighter, I have two years of volunteering under my belt and im set on a career in firefighting. Should I drop the degree for now (FINISH LATER) and get a job as a career firefighter? Or should I finish my degree? I hope to one day be a fire cheif, would the degree help me as much as an extra three years of experience in the fire suppression feild? would my degree help me at all? I know having a degree helps in the hiring process. Once your in,, do the job advancements go to education or experience?

Forum Member

It's just too easy!! Sorry bro, but it's CHIEF, not cheif.. Should probably be able to spell it if you want to become, ahh forget it.. Stay in school, degrees can be helpful,depending on the department. It can also take a very long time to get a career FF job, might as well finish the degree now, and at least you always have that under your belt..

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman01 View Post
    Hey,
    Im currently in my second year of a Bachelor of Commerce degree. But I know that I am going to be a firefighter, I have two years of volunteering under my belt and im set on a career in firefighting. Should I drop the degree for now (FINISH LATER) and get a job as a career firefighter? Or should I finish my degree? I hope to one day be a fire cheif, would the degree help me as much as an extra three years of experience in the fire suppression feild? would my degree help me at all? I know having a degree helps in the hiring process. Once your in,, do the job advancements go to education or experience?
    Research research research. Look that the departments you want to get hired at. Some require it before.

IF they do not. Take the job. Many departments and schools are now setting up TA for firefighters to get degree's. University of Richmond is doing that with the Tidewater area fire departments now.
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman01 View Post
    Hey,
    What makes you think that a commerce degree is a ticket to become a firefighter, let alone the chief ? Its one thing to be optimistic about a career in the fire service, but for you to assume that a job is a given, is not only ignorant, but a sure kiss of death for any hope of getting hired. If you expect anyone to take you serious, proof-read your posts. Good luck, you're going to need it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would be very reluctant to throw out that hard work you have put into your degree, just because you really want to get going on the fire department career.

Assuming you have what it takes to get a career position, your career can be ended with a single inury. It's always good to have something to fall back on. And yes, in most department these days, it will help you with officer aspirations. Whether you "need" it or not, a Chief is surrounded by College grads in council, business, and government. It will at least give you a little extra credibility with the "edumacated" type.

Most large departments hire at least every few years. The jobs are not going away anytime soon.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

Default For God Sakes Finish

I dropped out of a state school and got a fire job. I love it wouldn't trade it for anything. Then I spent the next 10 years finishing my undergrad degree at night.

When I was new, I missed a lot of nights out with the boys. When I got older, I missed a lot of nights with my family.

Finish your degree, it's one thing that no one can take away. It will also give you a lot more options in the future - company officer, staff chief, etc.

Good Luck.

PS - Hit the gym. Education will take you a long way in the fire service, but at the end of the day firefighting is blue collar manual labor. Fat guys finish last.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by polecat View Post
    for you to assume that a job is a given, is not only ignorant, but a sure kiss of death for any hope of getting hired....Good luck, you're going to need it.

I'll 2nd that

Apparently you have no idea how much competition your up against.

FossilMedic

Spend the next two years accomplishing three tasks:

1) Finish your degree - especially if your parents are paying

2) Increase your knowledge about the hiring process and the career path of professional firefighters.

3) Decide WHERE you want to spend 20 to 35 years as a municipal firefighter .... the next two years is a great time to be a tourist and visit the fire departments you are interested in.

There is a three phase process in becoming a career firefighter:

Successfully complete the application process. With thousands competing for each position in many departments, competition is fierce.

Successfully complete a fire recruit school. You volunteer experience just provided a taste of a much more intense and challenging experience.

Successfully complete the department's probationary process.

Good luck!

Mike

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Talking Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by callaway75 View Post
    It's just too easy!! Sorry bro, but it's CHIEF, not cheif.. Should probably be able to spell it if you want to become, ahh forget it.. Stay in school, degrees can be helpful,depending on the department. It can also take a very long time to get a career FF job, might as well finish the degree now, and at least you always have that under your belt..
    Wot he sayeth--Chief not Cheif--and as a little extra Field not Feild--but then you guys say Lever to rhyme with Leather--but not feather to rhyme with Fever. Don't forget it was "our" language until you lot borrowed it!

B4 you throw your toys out of the sandpit---Joke/Funny/HaHa button on

Forum Member

In short....finish your degree.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, you should absolutely finish your degree. I especially like Mike Ward’s advice to finish your degree if your parents are paying for it. You owe it to them. Having a degree shows that you can finish what you start, and that you can read and write. It will not get you a job as a firefighter, but it will certainly put you a step and a half above the competition. Most of us who are sitting on the other side of the table interviewing you will either be in school working toward our degree, or will have already earned it.

Many people mistakenly believe that the degree is their ticket in the door. It does not substitute for a lack of FIRE SERVICE experience and education. You still need to complete your EMT course, enroll in fire science courses, complete an AS degree in fire science, and continue to be active as a volunteer.

Most people do not aspire to be a chief officer, they’re just in the right place at the right time. If you set a goal to get the gold you can do it. Once you get hired, get involved with the department in training, become a paramedic, USAR, Hazmatter, or whatever else you can do to learn our profession.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thank you for your time, and feedback. BCLepone, Currently I have my MFR and I am on the University First Response Team. I have one third of the OFM’s pre-service fire complete , as I have been spending my summers in college. I have also completed some high angle rescue training. Is there anything else I should be doing over these next two years? This will be my last year of Provincial Jr. A hockey,, so ill have plenty of time on my hands.
    Again, thanks to everyone who replied.

Mr. Lepore would you mind if I pm'd you?

MembersZone Subscriber

I would welcome your contact. The best way to get me is:
    Paul.lepore@cox.net

Forum Member

Exclamation Finish your Degree!!!

I, like your self, was faced withy the same question. I had been volunteering for 4 years and I was in college. I am doing both thankfully. FINISH YOUR DEGREE!!! It won't hurt, it will ALWAYS help. My department offers raises depending on what classes you take. Since I will have a degree I will get a rase of almost 2 dollars! Finish your degree, remember, there will always be a need for firefighters!!! GOOD LUCK!

MembersZone Subscriber

I would say test for the department that you are looking into and see how it goes from there. BUt I would definitely stay in school until you get the job and even then I would still finish the degree one way or the other

MembersZone Subscriber

Default plisken

stay in school. I dropped out and now wish I had finished. To many cities looking for the paper. Now its alot of nights going back to get the degree so I can move above captain. If you get the job more power to you but with the degree it does give you something above alot of the others trying to get in. most just get the required FFI, FFII and EMT (if required) but very few go the distance some 2 year but very few 4 yr. The compitation is tough, so you have to stay ahead of the pack. The degree no matter what it is will always help. stay in school but test every where you can.

Thread Information