Forum Member

Default Being a volunteer can help or destroy you!

Candidates want the opportunity to be a volunteer as a way of showing interest, gain hands on experience, have something to put on their resume and can say in their oral they have been a volunteer. Often they donít know the culture, politics and etiquette.

You will make an impression becoming a volunteer. Good or bad. Because of the politics something could happen that could ruin any chances you will ever have as a firefighter. And the big problem is you will never know what or who badmouthed you.

Even if you're testing else where, if you listed you are or were a volunteer the BI is going to be checking out your history with the volunteer department. They could contact a person that will bad mouth you that will keep you from being considered. Many volunteers, officers and chiefs of departments have tanked a whole a lot of wanna be's firefighters just because they played favorites, were jealous of their career path, couldn't make the cut trying to get a paid position themselves, lied to these candidates faces and they never knew what happened.

Iíve seen this happen far too much. Candidates wait years trying to become a paid member of their volunteer department or candidates like yourself want to be a volunteer as a stepping stone to a full time position and they have been marked because of some incident they donít even know about that will keep them badge less.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Some Guy

Good points, but that could happen anywhere. What if a present employer is ticked off that you are leaving? What if friend is secretly jealous that you have got that far?
    This space for rent

Forum Member

As I've tested and interview I've heard a common thread from several departments: If you're a volunteer, don't come in talking about how you did it at the VFD, showing off to the other unexperienced candidates, acting like you know it all, and not learning to do things their way. Basically, leave the VFD at the door.

Forum Member

Bob why don't you just tell people that they should live in a bubble until they get the job. You guys might need some prozac or something. Not everybody is out to screw you out of a job. Now you are trying to tell guys that people will talk bad about them for NO reason at all. Some of this stuff is pure rubbish. But then again if you have enough people believe you your products may sell better. Do you laugh at some of these topics and see how many suckers will buy into it or what?

I agree 100% with the post above about leaving the volley stuff behind you.

MembersZone Subscriber

At a previous dept, life was rough for me for a while after I made the hiring list of the adjacent career dept, when the Chief and his best friend both failed to make the list. Ahhhh, politics and egos.

(the Chief eventually became a cop instead )
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by agavegrove View Post
    As I've tested and interview I've heard a common thread from several departments: If you're a volunteer, don't come in talking about how you did it at the VFD, showing off to the other unexperienced candidates, acting like you know it all, and not learning to do things their way. Basically, leave the VFD at the door.
    Good point. The biggest problem I've seen on oral boards with volunteers going for a paid position is they can't place themselves in the position they are applying for; that of being a snotty nose rookie. Many volunteers have worked their way up to engineer and officer positions.

This is a delicate balance here. Leave your time and rank in your locker. You must be humble, place yourself in the rookie position and build a natural bridge to present your education, experience and integrity to the oral board panel. Without this bridge, you're dead meat. This is not easy for many seasoned candidates. An attitude adjustment is needed. Attitude is a small thing that can make the big difference. Remember the position you're applying.

The seasoned veteran candidate can roar past any of the other candidates if his attitude and game plan is in place.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information