Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maxim 8

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Maxim 8

My Fire Dept. just purchased back one of our old 70's apparatus to restore.
    it is a 1972 or 73 Maxim 8 engine with a gas powered motor. The problem we are having is trying to find resoration parts or just plain parts for the vehicle.
    If anyone knows where we would be able to find parts for this vehicle please let me know. thank you for your time.
    -Paul
    Lakewood Volunteer Fire Department

Always loved a Maxim. My dad's company had nothing but when I was growing up and the first company I joined had 3. Two "S" models, one long nose and one short nose and a Diamond T/Maxim.

If you have the Waukeshau gas engine, good luck finding any parts. Those two "S" trucks were either scraped or converted to diesel because of those engines.

Maybe one of these sights can help:

http://capecodfd.com/PAGES%20Special/Maxims1.htm

http://pages.cthome.net/ctcellarsavers/Maxim.html

http://www.webvenues.net/maxim/
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

You can always check the SPAAMFAA web site for parts and also place a free "wanted" ad asking about the parts you need. http://spaamfaa.org

Also, check for fire flea markets and auctions in your area!

Cincinnati Area Fire Auction & Fire Flea Market
    March 9, 2007 - Milford, Ohio. Annual fire memorabilia auction.
    Auction preview Friday 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. Auction at 7:00 p.m.

AMONG THE ITEMS TO BE AUCTIONED ARE: Brass Dietz Fire King Lantern, hand crank siren. 8” apparatus bell w/bracket, Cooper hose jacket, R.D. Wood 2 – 2 ½” outlets hydrant, Seagrave wood, 2-section attic ladder.

HELMETS: Cairns & Bro. High Eagle Leather “Ventilated Hat”, early brass German and German WWII with leather water guard, Cairns Yellow Plastic with shield & white with “Batt. Chief”, Black with Middleboro, Massachusetts shield, black fiberglass with “Rescue Squad” shield. FRONTS: Baltimore City Ladder 49 leather shield, Colerain F.D. Captain Front and an AT&T Firefighter front piece.

BADGES: V.F.W. National Home F.D. Captain, Hinman’s Corners Fire Police, 3 Pewaukee Wisc. Fire Dept., North Sewickley Twsp. VFD, ‘40s Jr. Fire Chief, Cushing Hospital Mass., Lakewood OH. #4 badge, Truman Minn., Hyde Park F.D. Chief, Aluminum Co. of America Fire Brigade, Wayne Twp. NJ, Tyrone PA. Fire Police, Windham Maine, French Dun-Sur-Auron Firefighter’s crest, St. Armand Firefighter’s crest, Cincinnati F.D. badge #436

GAMEWELL & ALARM EQUIPMENT: Gamewell box w/key, Original 175 pg. Gamewell Catalogue, FDNY keychain w/Gamewell box key, Emergency telephone box, alarm box red light fixture made into a lamp, Holtzer Cabot alarm box, assortment of fire alarm bells, Louis Bills tape register & reel, horns, pull boxes and coded alarm switch. Brass Gamewell maker’s plate, Shadow Framed Gamewell items, 8” & 10” fire gongs, Cincinnati house bells and Circa 1940 Buffalo NY running card, original FDNY framed fire directions indicator card, 1852 Gleason’s Pictorial w/Boston Fire Alarm drawings & other photos.

NOZZLES: National Foam inductor, Akron 2 ½” dual handle, brass/copper ship’s combination nozzle, 2 brass combination nozzles, 1 ½” Navy, assorted old chemical tips, assorted old 1 ½” straight tips in brass and nickel, 2 ½’ Elkhart adjustable master stream tip & 2 ½” Straight bore w/leather grips and ladder hook, 2 ½” UL copper playpipe polished, 2 ½” polished Boston Coupling Co., 2 ½” Forest Service fog nozzle w/handles.

BOOKS: “Fire in America”, “The Romance of Firefighting”, “Fires of The West”, “Brave Men and Bright Machines”, “Great Fires of America”, “Fire the Story of the Fire Engine”, “I Smell Smoke” by Paul Ramsey, “Story of Fire Engines” by Goodenough.

EXTINGUISHERS: Reproduced set of 3 Harden Star grenades; Pyrene auto type and heavy vehicle hand pump polished with bracket, acid bottles, Fireen dry powder, soda/acid, several tin tubes, Civil Defense 4-gallon hand pump.

APPARATUS NAME PLATES: JACO & CENTRAL script style.

ART WORKS: Steamer metal art wall hanging, framed fire boat print, 1871 Chicago Fire wall hanging, 4 FDNY prints, matted litho of steamer.

TOYS: TEXACO fire helmet, 1995 SUNOCO 1:35 Scale ladder truck, Matchbox fire engines, Alarm Box on street post w/light & bell by Chicago Bell Toy.

TOOLS: American LaFrance hose clamp, Akron & other spanners, brass pike tip, electric hand lantern.

MISCELLANEOUS: Tool box with ”Foamite, American LaFrance” name plate, Red Comet refill kit w/6 grenades & carry case, brass fire warden’s bell, framed fire boat photo, 3 reproduction leather fire buckets hand made & decorated, Lionstone helmet decanter, firefighter’s cap w/badge, Cincinnati Fire Extinguisher Co. gauge, framed 1940s “Arson For Hire” movie poster, metal fire buckets, Aluminized turn-out coat, MSA Burrel mask, Chemox mask, ads for Seagrave & Howe apparatus, Sireno #70 6volt brass/copper working siren w/bracket, Sirenlite #20 6 volt (as is), 10” 6 volt alarm bell, polished extinguisher lamp, 2 Avon steins.

AHRENS-FOX: Fire Stream Scale Card #1, Range Finder Scale Card, 40s Hydraulics Manual, 1927 Operation Manual, Bulletin “Pumps With Punch”, 1927 Caliber of Fire Streams”.

And there will definitely be MORE items to come!

Questions e-mail me or call: Howard W. Kuhnell, Jr. Auctioneer 513-831-6398 - howdi@fuse.net.

Photos of some auction items can be viewed on the Youngstown Fire Forums at: http://www.youngstownfire.com/phpbb/...?p=28279#28279

March 10, 2007 - Milford, Ohio. 14th annual fire flea market.
    (Fire related items only). Saturday from 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Dealer set up on Friday the 9th from 1:00 - 6:00 p.m. and Saturday beginning at 7:00 a.m. Information: Mark Hetzel, SR 3623 Rio Bravo Trail Cleves OH 45002-2314 Phone: 513-467-1757 or PatchGuru21@fuse.net
    Click here for a printable Flea Market Registration Form: http://www.milesgreenwood.org/flearegistration.html.

The location for these events is the Milford Firefighters Community Hall which is conveniently located at the Milford Shopping Center on Lila Avenue (U.S. Route 50 and the intersection of Ohio Route 131 - just across from the Milford fire station!). The hall is at the east end of the plaza.

MembersZone Subscriber redbaron's Avatar

You might want to try contacting Earl Everhart. At one time Earl was Chief Engineer at Maxim. In the last two Inaugaral Parades in Washington he has driven restored Maxim vehicles. He now owns V-Tec and builds Poly Body trucks in Vermont. vtecearl@earthlink.net

You may want to contact my friend Howie Smith at the e mail address below. I don't know too many folks that are more up on Maxim's than he is. A great source for information.

HmaximS@aol.com

Keep us informed as what you do with that ride. Please provide photos too on before, during and after the work.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all the help. I got some additional information. The truck is actually a 1969, and yes it does have a waukeshau gas engine. The engine is leaking oil into the coolant but it did that 10 years ago when we sold the truck. Right now we are going to try and find anything we can to repair this engine. if we cant than we may not go ahead with the project. This department we sold the 69 maxim too also has our old 77 maxim. If this one is beyond restoring than we will try and pick up the 77. Thanks again for all of your help.
    -Paul

Forum Member

Jobbers' Warehouse in Philadelphia, Pa. is a good source of Waukesha parts. They have at least one person there who seems pretty knowledgeable on the older engines as used in fire apparatus. (215) 236-8500 www.jobbersinc.com. Also pull up www.waukeshaengine.com. There are a few people there who are willing and able to provide info.

Stay safe out there, everyone goes home!

Waukeshau is still very much alive and well, owned by the Dresser Corporation. Chiefengineer11's link to Wauky is correct. They just celebrated their 100th anniversary. If you have any technical questions, a gentleman there named Doug Mackey was of great assistance to me. He is one of their staff engineers. We chatted on the phone for about a half hour one day, and he says "oh, by the way, whats the serial number?" So I gave it to him, and could hear him typing into his keyboard. He brings up the original build sheet and "pick" sheet for my specific engine, which they had in microfiche, and then transferred over to electronic media. He emailed me what he had.

As chiefengineer11 stated, jobbers warehouse, located in Philadelphia does indeed maintain a limited stock of Wauky parts, including (at least last time I was down there) complete F817G and 140GZ Short Blocks, still wrapped in cosmoline paper. Jobbers does indeed have some knowledgable parts guys, but they are extremely expensive. Either way, mind you, Waukesha parts ARE NOT cheap. I prefer to use one of the other distributors listed on Wauky's website, but I cant remember their name and the website is down right now.

As was the case for many manufacturers, Wauky used many outside suppliers for components- Delco Remy for distributors, oil filters can be purchased from just about any NAPA, Wix, etc. catalogs, Zenith Carbuerators, etc.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by chiefengineer11 View Post
    Jobbers' Warehouse in Philadelphia, Pa. is a good source of Waukesha parts. They have at least one person there who seems pretty knowledgeable on the older engines as used in fire apparatus. (215) 236-8500 www.jobbersinc.com. Also pull up www.waukeshaengine.com. There are a few people there who are willing and able to provide info.

LOL you beat me to it. i was going to post this site as well.

The head gasket is bad, if coolant is getting into the oil!
    OUTSTANDING

Make It Happen

Never forget 9-11-2001
    343 Brothers Who Were MURDERED!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by allineedisu View Post
    LOL you beat me to it. i was going to post this site as well.

The head gasket is bad, if coolant is getting into the oil!
    Some Waukeshas had a head problem. Assuming it has dual ignition, check where the spark plugs are. Some had both plugs for any given cylinder one above the other on the same side. Others had the one plug on one side of the head, and the other on the opposite side. The heads that had the plugs one above the other were prone to developing cracks between the plugs.

In the early '60s, the 140GZ engine in FWDbuff's '58 FWD had that problem. The heads were replaced with the later version that had them on opposite sides. So now, 40+ years later, it still runs as well as it did when it was in active service here in Bryn Athyn.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, every bit of information will help me at this point.
    allineedisu- I dont think this is a headgasket failure. I see this problem on chevy engines especially the 3.1L V6. Oil tends to work its way around head bolts and down into the cooling system. I've been a tech for a while over at chevy truck department, but now im working at subaru. I've never in my life seen a blown headgasket last for 10 years, especially with the abuse these engines go through working the pump for 5 hours at a time.

I'm going down to the truck this afternoon to snap some before shots. I will post my webshots site when I get them on.

If anyone has helpful information please dont hesitate to add it. I would also love to find engine torque specs for this old thing just incase the heads have to come off for any reason. thank you,
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by TaberLFD View Post
    Thanks, every bit of information will help me at this point.
    allineedisu- I dont think this is a headgasket failure. I see this problem on chevy engines especially the 3.1L V6. Oil tends to work its way around head bolts and down into the cooling system. I've been a tech for a while over at chevy truck department, but now im working at subaru. I've never in my life seen a blown headgasket last for 10 years, especially with the abuse these engines go through working the pump for 5 hours at a time.

I'm going down to the truck this afternoon to snap some before shots. I will post my webshots site when I get them on.

If anyone has helpful information please dont hesitate to add it. I would also love to find engine torque specs for this old thing just incase the heads have to come off for any reason. thank you,
    -Paul
    Taber- I have an extra spec/repair manual for 817G's, but I cant let it go for free, I'm thinking 10 bucks plus the cost of the mail to you if you are interested. I need to dig it up and see what years it covers....Let me know if you are interested.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

FWDbuff- I would be very interested in the manual. I will pay 10 bucks plus shipping if it covers the 1969 F817G engine. send me an e-mail at Joker3030@hotmail.com
    I have pics of the truck up on my webshots page. As you will be able to see in the pics most of the bright work has been removed already. here's the link:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/nyz28man

I also have a couple pics of the engine. one with the block casting number and the other with the engine spec plate.
    -Paul

Just as an aside to this thread I happened to be sitting at a light at the Mass pike exit 8 today when a beauty of a S Model [I think] 4 door maxie went by code 3. red/white paint job , sweet looking truck with the great sounding detroit raring away. I knew Palmer has long been a Maxim Dept. but didn't realize they were still running any.

Forum Member

Maxim 8, What a nice looking truck! In 2004 we replaced our last of 3 Maxims. It was 1971 & it was a beauty. I have no idea where it went but, I we all wish we could get it back. Ours was repowered with a 318 Detroit and an HT740 Auto cause we resleeved the Waukesha 3 times then the main bearing went at a structure fire. Our 1966 Maxim w/817 never had a problem! I wish I could get that one back too. We had a 1976 with an 817 in it also. That truck had the similar problem that yours has. (ie water leak) Keep us informed on your progress with this truck! I'd like to see some pics when she's all done.

Thread Information