Thread: Chief's Vehicle

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Chief's Vehicle

The position of Battalion Chief (shift commander) is still relatively new in our department, and we are in a continuous learning curve. My question to you all today relates to the Chief's vehicle:

What type of vehicle does your department use, and what equipment is carried on the vehicle? We have had many discussions, some heated, about what should be or shouldn't be carried, and I am trying to get some other views or opinions.

We are currently using an F-150 with four-wheel drive (for beach access).
    Capt. K

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firebeach406 View Post
    The position of Battalion Chief (shift commander) is still relatively new in our department, and we are in a continuous learning curve. My question to you all today relates to the Chief's vehicle:

What type of vehicle does your department use, and what equipment is carried on the vehicle? We have had many discussions, some heated, about what should be or shouldn't be carried, and I am trying to get some other views or opinions.

Car 2, the vehicle assigned to the Deputies in my FD is a Ford Expedition. It has the incident command cabinets in the rear, as well as a few meters, defib, SCBA unit, etc.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Chevy Caprice. Has SCBA unit along with first responder bag and supplimental radios.

MembersZone Subscriber

All three of our Chiefs (Vollie company - 1,200 calls a year, 95% fire/mva, 5% ems non-transport) drive a department issued Chevy Tahoe, which carry their gear, an SCBA, and a trauma/oxygen bag. I believe that they may also carry a set of command vests.
    Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And.........

I'll try to get a couple of photos for you later, but ours is a 2004 Ford F250 4x4 Pickup with a Cap. The Cap has windows that Swing out and up on each side, the rear window also swings up. We built a Command Desk on a Rollout Tray that will come out onto the tailgate when opened all the way. The IC's Chart, a Radio Console, and other "Command" stuff is readily accessable on 3 sides. The unit was built in house by the Chief and a few others, and we'll probably build another for the Assistant Chief in the next couple of months, since his Chevy Impala is being retired. The unit can be seen in a couple of photos at www.gdvfd18.com If you want, shoot me a PM, and I'll try to get some Closeup photos for you. Good Luck.

************Second Page*************

Just noticed that I had our chief's vehicle posted as a 1994. Fixed it, it's a 2004. Several subsequent posters have mentioned the items that they carry along with what I call "Command stuff". Ours carries a SCBA for the Chief, Couple of Extinguishers, First Aid Bag, Set of Irons, Box of flares, and some other minor items. Some of the items mentioned by other posters are carried on each piece of Heavy Apparatus, such as Multi-Gas Meters, TICs, AEDs, etc.
    Last edited by hwoods; 02-25-2007 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Brain Cramp.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We are currently using Chevy 4x4 Tahoes and are looking at switching to a rig very similar to what Hwoods described.

Currently equipped with: mobile radio, cell phone, med kit, O2 bag, ICS/Accountability board, Emergency Scene Ahead signs, 4 gas monitor.
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

Forum Member

We have 2 gigs , 1 for the chief and 1 for the ***'t chief. Both are Chevy Tahoes 4x4. Both are set up the same. Full complement of our radios as well as mutaul aid radios , incident command board , bunker gear , scba , oxygen kit , defib , ems bag , halligan har , 2 1/2 gal. water can , 5lb dry chem extinguisher and 1 handlight with vehicle charger.

Forum Member

Currently, all BC's are in Crown Vics. They carry their turnouts, an SCBA, a clipboard, some paperwork, and an accident investigation kit. Rumor has it they are swapping to SUV's in July. Kinda seems like overkill to haul the mail around, but I like it.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

Our DCs drive an F-350 4X4 diesel with topper. Bed has a 500lb capacity pull-out tray. It carry's spare SCBA and O2 bottles, RIG bag, IC vests, LZ kit, EMS jump bag and AED, water cooler & cups, DC's SCBA, traffic cones, lock out-tag out kit, water valve key and misc hand tools.

In the cab are the radios which include fire/EMS, state MA and marine bands, hand-held GPS, SIMS control for our Scott SCBAs, map books, lap-top, gas meter, heat gun, hand-held wind speed gauge, handlight and misc "stuff".

Our Opps Chief has the same thing, only its an F-250 and serves as the back-up to the DC.
    Last edited by Dave1983; 02-25-2007 at 03:14 PM.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Chief-2131, responds to all fires and alarms inside the city. The vehicle is a 2002 Dodge Durango. The back seats where taken out and command center and cabinets on a roll out console. Equipment carried onboard

1-SCBA
    1-TIC
    1-Gas Detector
    BLS Medical Bag
    O2 Bag
    AED
    IC Board
    2-Ice Chest
    State Wide Radio System (AWIN)

There is also room for turnouts and other light equipment.

Forum Member

Our chief's vehicle is a 2002 Ford Expedition, it replaced a 1996 Ford Crown Vic (ex-PD). It carries a Lifepak, Trauma Kit, Airway/Drug Kit, SCBA, command stuff, flares, mapbooks, fire extinguisher, turnouts, etc.

I think that is it, there may be more or less, I haven't really had too good of a look at it.

Last edited by backsteprescue; 02-26-2007 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Got bored and decided to add more pics
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Early Adopter

Arrow Here's what we have...

Our department does not yet have a shift chief running 24/7 with our on-duty personnel... but we do have a pair of weekday chiefs. However, I don't believe they carry much more than bunker gear, some paperwork and -- perhaps -- an EMS jump kit on board.

The fire chief (40-hour, M-F) runs a 2001 Chevrolet Impala.

The fire marshal / division chief (40-hour, M-Th) runs a 2002 Dodge Durango.

I'm not really sure what's up with the Durango's stripe package. We're not a paramedic service and it's not a Chevrolet, so the stripe can't represent the "heartbeat of America," either. Your guess is as good as mine.

District Chief

The Chief currently has a crown victoria but a new Expedition on Order. We will most likely put a slide out in the rear.

The Shift Commander (same as Batt Chief) except we only have one station, currently has a Dodge 3500 Dually that we commandered from another City Department, striped, marked and equipped with emergency lights before they realized it. Has EMS equipment and an SCBA in rear. We are getting set up to put a slide out in it.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

My Chief has a Ford Explorer that doubles as a police squad car. Being the "Director of Public Safety" he does mainly the police side of things. The IC stuff he leaves up to the ***'t Chief and myself. I use my personal Ford Explorer and the AC uses his Chevy truck with command boards.

I just have not accepted the concept of the IC standing at the back of an SUV with a pull out cabinet, standing in the exhaust cloud, in the elements of wind and rain, outside with all the noise going on and anyone can come up to you and interrupt you. I personally like sitting in my explorer with the command board on the wheel, windows rolled up so it's nice and quiet so I can hear the radios and concentrate on what I need to do.

Again, to each his own.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cozmosis View Post
    Oh the irony! Check out the signs.

Goes well with this one (many layers of irony here) ...

( just ribbin' ya! )
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by firebeach406 View Post

Umm....My truck.....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

our chief cars to my knowledge are all cabaple of the same thing. We have 3 chiefs. The Chief of department just got a new 2007 im not sure what it is tho. I know the deputy chiefs both have suburbans. They all have meters, scbas, chief gear, radio setups, traffic control, medical to a slight extent. And some more probably.

MembersZone Subscriber

The battalion chief where I live rides in a Ford F-350. They carry 2 SCBA's (two people assigned, the driver is a captain serves as the on scene safety officer), several portable radios, 3 mobile radios, I believe they carry a thermal imager, numerous gas detectors and biohazard detectors for those white power calls.

Thread Information