Thread: List #6019

MembersZone Subscriber

Default FDNY List #6019

L'see if we can separate the two lists here.
    Starting off with an article from Sunday's Daily News:

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com
    Jump in minority bids to join FDNY
    BY JONATHAN LEMIRE
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
    Sunday, February 25th, 2007

More than 4,500 more minority applicants took the FDNY written entrance exam this year than in 2002, giving fire officials hope that a multimillion-dollar campaign to start diversifying the department will end in success.
    Fire Commissioner Nicholas Scoppetta believes the jump from 3,730 to 8,297 minority candidates proves the department is making progress.

"All the hard work we put into this campaign has paid off," said Scoppetta. "We hope once we begin hiring from this list next year, we'll have the most diverse group of candidates joining the world's greatest fire department."

But critics warned the promising numbers would be rendered meaningless if the minority applicants weren't hired.

The FDNY recruits new members only once every four years and the department's hiring process has been closely scrutinized by Justice Department investigators. Currently, the department is 91% white.

The written test was offered at several sites across the five boroughs on Jan. 20 and 21,549 applicants sat down to take the several-hour exam, officials told the Daily News.

Of those candidates, 38.5% identified themselves as being black, Hispanic, Asian or Native American, officials said. This marks a significant increase from 2002, when 21.5% of the 17,348 applicants deemed themselves persons of color.

Though the number of white candidates dropped slightly from 13,618 in 2002 to 13,252 in January, applications from minority groups rose across the board, officials said.

Most strikingly, the number of Hispanics jumped from 2,088 to 4,026 while the number of blacks rose from 1,357 to 3,776, the statistics show. The number of women who took the test also increased, rising to 814 from 549.

FDNY officials gave credit to their outreach programs in communities of color to explain the jump in minority test-takers: Five years ago, firefighters held fewer than 300 events, a far cry from the more than 2,300 that recruiters staffed in 2006.

But the head of the Vulcan Society, the fraternal organization of black firefighters, attributed the rise in minority applicants to the FDNY altering its "exclusionary" hiring practices.

"Finally, they realize they need to reach out to all communities," John Coombs said. "We don't want to roll out the red carpet yet, for this is only one step toward the goal. What matters is who actually gets on the job."

The results of the written test have not yet been released, according to a spokesman for the Department of Citywide Administrative Services, which administers the exam. The physical test - which will be scored pass/fail for the first time - will start being offered in the coming months.

Hang tough.
    bam
    Last edited by ffbam24; 02-25-2007 at 03:20 PM.

Forum Member

Any word on when the physicals would start?

I also heard that they may not give them in score order but in eligibility order ie. if you got a 100 but are 20 the person who is 21 with the credentials but a lower score goes first.

Anyone else hear this??

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by matty21 View Post
    Any word on when the physicals would start?

I also heard that they may not give them in score order but in eligibility order ie. if you got a 100 but are 20 the person who is 21 with the credentials but a lower score goes first.

Anyone else hear this??
    what credentials?? Race??

Forum Member

Haha yea i hope not but what I meant was 21 years old, drivers license, credits/work experience/military etc

I know the PD if you dont have the stuff you need you defer it, in my case untill I'm 21, and then you go through the process of the physical, medical, and other BS just was wondering if the FD was going to start the same thing since the physical does not count toward your list number anymore

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Physical

I do not know what the FDNY is going to do about the physical but if you read the amended notice of exam that came with your entrence card it states under the PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST section; Candidates who pass the written test will be scheduled to take the physical ability test in score order prior to admission to the fire academy as vacancies occur. That makes it seam like they will not do the physical untill they have openings and one is going to be hired.

But if you read the article above it states that a DCAS spokes person states that the physical will be starting in the coming months.

Who knows what to believe???
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

An LT. at the review sessions, I think he said he is at the academy, said they would not do the physicals until they you are ready to go to the academy.

Forum Member

thats how it seems from how its worded from the NOE

Forum Member

Hey guys, I've been sitting back and reading everyones posts regarding this exam. I too did well on all parts but lost most of my points on the personality questions. Unfortunately for me I do not have any extra points to add onto my score. I do not think I can make the protest session and I am stressing out about it. I talked to someone at DCAS and apparently this will be the only time you can view the actual exam booklets. You can, however, protest without going to the session. For me, I'd like to protest a few where I put (for example) B but they only accepted A...ones along those lines since I am curious on how the determination is made between strongly agree and agree. Then there are others where I am at the other end of the spectrum. The answer was say D and I had A or B. Those puzzle me and without seeing the exam I can't protest them.

I was just curious how many of you are planning on attending the protest this weekend? Is it really worth it? I've been told that the city is going to do what they want and if they change anything then everyone will benifit from it. Is this true? Is anyone planning on filing a protest without going to the session? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

February 27, 2007
    City Will Add 10 Weeks to Training for Firefighters
    By TRYMAINE LEE

The Fire Department will add 10 weeks to its 13-week training program for probationary firefighters at an annual cost of $12.4 million, fire officials said yesterday during a City Council hearing on the plan.

Assistant Fire Chief Thomas Galvin, head of the department’s Bureau of Training, said the enriched curriculum, to be phased in starting next month, would add about 400 hours to an already rigorous curriculum.

He said the two primary reasons for enhancing the program were firefighter safety and lowered application requirements.

Of the last 25 deaths of firefighters in the line of duty, Chief Galvin said, the majority were at least partly a result of unexpected structural issues. In one case in 2005, firefighters in a Bronx apartment building, became trapped when walls that had been illegally erected compromised the building’s integrity and collapsed with firefighters and residents inside. In other cases, he said, owners had divided larger rooms into separate apartments, and the new walls obstructed access to fire escapes. Often, he said, firefighters become trapped in a maze of illegally altered buildings.

“Our Bureau of Training has worked hard to draft a new, expanded curriculum,” he said. “We believe that we can keep our firefighters in the field safer if, as probationary firefighters, we educate them about how a building is constructed, what its layout will be and what to expect once they get inside a building to fight a fire or carry out a rescue.”

Since the Department of Citywide Administrative Services announced last year that the education and work requirements for prospective firefighters would be lowered in 2008, Chief Galvin said, the Fire Department has believed that it must increase training. Prospective firefighters will still be required to have a high school diploma. But under the new requirements, their college credit requirement has been cut to 15 from 30, and they will need six months’ work experience or full-time military service with an honorable discharge. Previously they needed the diploma and the 30 credits or the diploma and an honorable discharge.

The department currently has four classes of about 150 recruits a year. The extended program, expected to begin on March 19, will cut the classes to two a year, but each class will have about 300 students.

The department will add five weeks of training for the first class and another five weeks when the second class begins in the fall. The city has earmarked $1.9 million to cover the cost of the first expanded class. An additional $12.4 million has been budgeted for the 2008 fiscal year.

Chief Galvin said that the enhanced course load would include continuing reviews of tactical skills, and that more time would be spent on the chemistry of fire and the study of hazardous materials.

James Slevin, the vice president of the Uniformed Firefighters Association, said that while better training for firefighters was good, he questioned the necessity of more training. “The U.F.A. has not been consulted with or informed about the expanded” training program, he told the City Council’s Committee on Fire and Criminal Justice Services. “The money that is being spent on the training would better be spent on reopening the six closed firehouses.”

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Question

So are the majority of you guys who took this exam planning on going to the protest session this Saturday??

MembersZone Subscriber

Unfortunately out of town and can't make it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jremNY View Post
    Unfortunately out of town and can't make it.
    Yeah I may not be able to attend etiher. You can still submit a protest without attending the session. It is going to be harder, of course, without seeing the exam booklets. This weekend is only to look at the booklets. I believe all protests have to be submitted by mail within 30 days.

Forum Member

FFFRED - How many hours were there previously in the curriculum? I'm guessing there were around 450, but I was just curious as to what they are having the recruits go through now. Thank you.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Forum Member

For anyone going to the protest: Do you guys know why they want us to be bringing a self-address and stamped, legal-sized envelope for if we have another month to protest the questions? How much postage is required for a legal-sized envelope? Not trying to sound like an idiot, but I don't mail a whole lot of these. Doesn't it depend on on weight?

Also, they are so specific about everything we need to bring (ID, black in pen, SASE, our score sheet), yet they say nothing about us bringing paper. Do you think we need to bring paper?

Sorry to double post this, but I'm not sure which one is going to be the more pertinant one and get the most traffic.
    Just a peon proby in the greatest job in the world; grinning ear to ear.

Shawshank

Default Did they forget about me?

Hey guys,

Am I the only one who hasn't recieved their answer key yet? It's March 4th and I have nothing!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Shawshank View Post
    Hey guys,

Am I the only one who hasn't recieved their answer key yet? It's March 4th and I have nothing!
    Did you consider making some phone calls?

MembersZone Subscriber

got to DCAS they will either send you another copy in the mail or give you one. The DCAS building is at one center st. its a big white building you have to go to room 1448 on the 14th floor. it will cost you a dollar to have another copy sent and you just have to fill out a paper with your name address and address an envelope to yourself. thats what i had to do

Forum Member

Default yo

did everyone do realy well on this test what are most of the grades like from this forum?

Default about the physcial test

From what I heard eveything is in a pause. It could be because of the protest or the new contract that should be going into affect next month. So the physcial test could take place several months or maybe even a year from now. I am hoping that we get notice of it soon. If any one hears anything about it keep us updated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by angel0618 View Post
    From what I heard eveything is in a pause. It could be because of the protest or the new contract that should be going into affect next month. So the physcial test could take place several months or maybe even a year from now. I am hoping that we get notice of it soon. If any one hears anything about it keep us updated.
    Nothing is on hold. Move over to thread "FDNY List 6019." There is a ton of information and guys at the top of the list are starting the process.

Forum Member

Default is there an oral psychological?

does anyone know if there is a oral psychological evaluation during the hiring process? i've been getting mixed replies saying that there is one and that there isn't one. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanx.

Thread Information