Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scba's

Question Scba's

I was wanting to know what kind you use, what you like about them, what you dislike about them, and which brand you say is the best. My department is looking at getting new scba's and we are looking at survive air, msa, scott, and isi. Any input would be useful. Thanks

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Scott AP-50's.

Simple to operate. Rugged and reliable.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

We have ISIs.No real problems other than some operator errors.We looked at scott,msa and drager.MSA have been super unreliable for a local city and the group overall liked the ISIs better.

Thumbs up

We use a Scott pack (not sure of the exact model) with an integrated PASS alarm and composite bottles. We love these packs for the most part. It's very convenient to have the PASS integrated into the pack (so the alarm is on anytime the air is on), and the composite bottles are much smaller and lighter than the old steel bottles...
    My opinions are my own and do not, in any way, reflect those of any agency to which I am affiliated...

Forum Member

We have the Scott Air-Pak Fifty 4.5's. Integrated PASS and composite 4500 psi bottles. Heads up display in the regulator. No complaints at all.

Forum Member

Thumbs up scba's

we use SCOTT in roanoke county. We switched to it from MSA. I like the PASS alarm the way it is built into the pack so when you turn on your bottle it cuts on and not having to turn it on yourself. I also like the heads-up display on your personal mask. It is lightweight and durable. The bottles are easy to change and refill. I also like the Buddy Breathing cords. EX: We were in search and rescue training and me and my partner were searching the third floor when his bottle started running very low. So he disconnected and reconnected to me and we made it down three flights of stairs when my bottle emptied out.
    Gary Newcomb
    FireFighter
    Mt.Pleasant Vol Fire Co.

We use Scott NXG2... I would suppose it is liked for the most part, we had the problem with the mother board eating up batteries, but that has since been "solved". I personally have donned different packs 3 different times and aired up only to find that all the visual warnings work but there's no audible alarms. (PASS)

The HUD is nice, and of course the weight! As well as the automatic PASS when you turn the air on...

Our main issue is the regulators keep getting slammed in the door of the engine... Guess that's an "internal" issue there...
    Giggity - Giggity!

MembersZone Subscriber

Scott AP50 with 4500 psi, 45 minute composite bottles. We've always used Scotts and likely will for a long time (main reason we stick with them). We're getting ready to order a dozen more with the integrated pass, HUD, all the stuff. The new ones will have the dual EBSS as well.

We're actually one of the few in our area that use them. One department switched to Survivair. We looked at them, but I'm still wary after the St. Louis incident. The others use MSA. Not bad packs, I'm just not convinced the little ears that hold the regulator on the mask won't break off.

Plus, we've always used Scott and it'd be silly for us to have some of this, some of that.

We use SCOTT, only problems we have is the facepieces have been getting cracks in them, but SCOTT is replacing them. I don't have a problem with the other brands but all I've ever used is SCOTT.

Smile Thanks

Thank you for you input. It is really helpful. Please keep the input coming in. We have looked at survivair, scott, and msa but isi is still going to come in. Anything problems with any pack wether or not is manufacture or operator errors it would be nice to know so we can avoid them problems if we go with that pack. Thanks again

Forum Member

My old department has MSA's both in the Firehawk model and the old belt mount rigs.
    The newer ones have the heads up display of remaining airtime and the PASS activates for use when you open the air valve.
    We press them to 4500 PSI and try to stay in for 45 minutes maximum.I've never heard of any maintenance or operation gripes but my problem was hanging up on the seatbelt when I leave the rig.Mostly,that's because I wouldn't give the retraction time to work before moving out.

Dräger.

Simple to operate, havn't had any problems. Large wheel with rubber surrounding to easily detatch an old bottle and add a new one while its on someones back. Quick connect/buddy breathing is easy to operate as well.
    Get busy livin, or get busy dyin. - Shawshank Redemption
    IACOJ

Thread Information