Thread: Wwoooo-aaahhhhh

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Exclamation Wwoooo-aaahhhhh

Not really sure what to make of this... Other than maybe a teradactal, a broach or a hat, maybe....

Man Pays Price For Stopping Alleged Drunk Driver. Police: Mans Actions Admirable, Unnecessary

POSTED: 5:50 pm EST February 23, 2007
    UPDATED: 10:46 pm EST February 23, 2007

GLEN BURNIE, Md. -- A Hanover man said he risked his own life to stop an alleged drunk driver from killing anyone.

David Kelley, 29, said he followed a car from Glen Burnie to the Annapolis area on Saturday in hopes of stopping an alleged drunken driver.

Kelley said he and his wife were in their vehicle when they first saw the car at about 8:25 p.m. on Interstate 97 near Quarterfield Road in Glen Burnie.

Video: Watch The Report

According to Kelley, the other driver repeatedly swerved in and out of lanes, running three cars nearly off the road.

So what did Kelley do?

Kelley said he had to stop the driver before someone got hurt, but in the end, he was the one who wound up hurt.

Kelley said he and his wife got in front of the other car and forced the driver to stop three times and they pleaded with the drunken woman to wait for police, but that never happened.

According to police, the woman ended up running over Kelley's foot, rear-ended his wife's new car and dragged Kelley at least 30 feet around a shopping center parking lot while the man stayed on his cell phone telling police about the ordeal.

An excerpt from the 911 call placed that night are as follows: Kelley: "She ran me over. I tried to stop her and she ran me over."

Dispatcher: "What part of your body did she hit?"

Kelley: (crying) "She hit my leg."

Officers finally arrived, police said. Miraculously, Kelley walked away with minor injuries, including road rash and an injured hand, police said.

Police identified the driver as K.T. Wilder.

So far, Wilder has been charged with driving under the influence. But, police said, Wilder could face other charges in connection with hitting Kelley with her car and dragging him.

Police said that although Kelley's actions were admirable, he should have never tried to stop the car or intervene.

Copyright 2007 by nbc4.com.

I think "Justice" would have better being served by Mr Kelley following the car while his wife relayed details via their cell phone until a cruiser made the catch. This comes from the Voice of Experience of doing exactly that. Keeping a discreet distance, on the phone with Dispatch until they got a car in position to make an approved and SAFE traffic stop.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

I've been in that situation with an obviously off-the-rocker driver. He was running people off the road left and right and hitting things all over the place around 10:00pm. When the local police finally caught up, it turned into a pursuit across three towns with the state police joining in. After about 30 miles from where he first cut me off, when the got to a deserted area, the state police had enough and rammed his car off the road and up a dirt embankment. It was quite the sight, made my day seeing that. But it made it quite obvious that if he was willing to engage in a pursuit and ram police cars, he would have cared about me trying to stop him either.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    I think "Justice" would have better being served by Mr Kelley following the car while his wife relayed details via their cell phone until a cruiser made the catch.
    But then he wouldn't have a story. No, what he should have done is have his wife "take the wheel" while he leans out the window and jumps on to the hood of the offending vehicle. Hey, if it works in The Dukes of Hazard, why wouldn't it work in real life?
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    But then he wouldn't have a story. No, what he should have done is have his wife "take the wheel" while he leans out the window and jumps on to the hood of the offending vehicle. Hey, if it works in The Dukes of Hazard, why wouldn't it work in real life?
    THAT nearly caused a "Pea Soup vs Computer Screen" incident!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    Not really sure what to make of this... Other than maybe a teradactal, a broach or a hat, maybe....
    Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue......
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

This is definitely from the files of"Kids,don't try this at home.EVER."like Adam and Jamie say on "Mythbusters".

Couple years ago,I led the local news broadcasts in Paducah Ky when two guys walked into the cigarette store I worked in,scooped up a double armload each of cigarettes and went on out the door.
    I went after them,scuffled with one for a minute and was reaching into the open rear window to grab the passenger's hair when they took off.I was dumb enough to grab onto the B pillar post and ride across 5 o'clock traffic until they pulled into a hotel parking lot and slowed enough for me to drop off.
    The first thought in my mind was"This is definitely NOT the smartest thing I've ever done"and I was trying to get my lock blade knife open to shank the passenger.'Bout that time,they pulled into the lot and I decided to part company with them,knife closed and me rolling axe over teakettle til I stopped and got up cussing them like a sailor.
    They roared off with a small truck in hot pursuit and some witnesses even thought I'd been hit by that one.
    I never heard if the two vehicles were connected or not but while I was in the ER describing the two guys and what they had in the back seat,another officer came in and told us that "Two guys in a blue SUV have been arrested in Metropolis Illinois selling beer and cigarettes from that vehicle two blocks away from the police station.,Sir,are you positive that they had 12 packs of(Brand)beer in bottles in the back?"
    I had scrapes on my arms and head,several pieces of gravel in my shoulder so I couldn't raise my arm for a couple weeks and lots of pain.
    The next day,neighbors were asking if I knew the guy that had been robbed,since I never allowed my name to be released and at the vollie fire house,the sh** started with an officer changing my name to "Drug" in honor of my ride.
    I also found out while I was playing Luke Duke that the video camera I'd thought was dutifully recording my every honest move in the store and dishonest moves by others,wasn't.The dang thing stopped recording two months earlier and the boss in charge of the machine had been more concerned with his tractor and rental properties than fixing it.
    Good thing my head is so hard,ain't it?
    Last edited by doughesson; 02-27-2007 at 03:31 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doughesson View Post
    I went after them,scuffled with one for a minute and was reaching into the open rear window to grab the passenger's hair when they took off.I was dumb enough to grab onto the B pillar post and ride across 5 o'clock traffic until they pulled into a hotel parking lot and slowed enough for me to drop off.
    I think I saw that in MacGyver once except he used a roll of duct tape, two pieces of chewing gum, and some old sticks of dynamite to free himself.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is one way to stop a fleeing vehicle:

http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...opisinsane.flv
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Kind of reminds me of the old western movies only jumping from cars instead of horses.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219 View Post

I like the UN version of vehicle stopping procedure:

Stand in the roadway whist wearing your blue helmet, and UNLOADED C7 (read AR14 for you US guys LOL) and raise your hand. At which time you will express in a loud and commanding voice... STOP.

If the vehicle refuses to slow down and stop, you shall shake your hand to gain the driver's attention and in that same loud and commanding voice, say STOP again.

Failure to comply on the part of the driver will now require that you raise your voice louder and repeat the order to STOP in any and all of the local dialects and languages for the location to which you are operating in.

Remember. You will have all of about 7 to 10 seconds to accomplish all of this before the driver then forces you to jump over the "No-Post" barrier (thats Jersey Wall for you US guys ) in an effort to save yourself from being run over.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219 View Post

Oh my god!! that's great!

Would be excellent to have here...

If only western defense attourneys didn't frown on this sort of action
    Firefighter
    Eureka District Fire Department

Thread Information