Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Lightbulb This Might Be A Good Discussion Topic?

I think I can understand the position that the State Governors are sitting on this issue. I think I can also see it from the C in C side as well. Both arguments are valid to some degree.

"Montana's constitution is very clear. We can't have folks come in who are armed," said Gov. Brian Schweitzer, D-Mont. "We're simply not going to accept it."
    However it has been proven at least once recently, that the use of armed troops is more than a valid concern, it was a requirement for public safety. There is a time and a place for everything. Sometimes you need to come to the barn raising with a bigger hammer.

Governors Worry About National Guard Forces. Governors Meet With National Guard Chief.

POSTED: 7:40 am EST February 26, 2007

WASHINGTON -- Governors are concerned about the demands the war in Iraq is placing on their National Guard forces met with a top Guard official Sunday and said they were closely monitoring deployment of their troops, worn-out equipment and how ready they would be for domestic emergencies.

Governors also hoped to convince Congress to reverse a step taken last year in response to Hurricane Katrina that gave the president greater power to deploy troops for problems at home, a power previously reserved for the states' top leaders.

Several governors met privately on Sunday with Lt. Gen. H. Steven Blum, chief of the National Guard Bureau.

"There's a lot of concern about the resources already employed, manpower and equipment," said Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano, a Democrat. "How much equipment have we sent abroad, how much has returned, how much is usable?"

In Virginia, many of the 5,500 Guard members have already been deployed more than once since Sept. 11, 2001, said Virginia Gov. Tim Kaine, a Democrat. "Obviously, that's a problem."

But GOP Gov. Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota said the administration has been listening to the governors' concerns, and has promised to better handle deployments and equipment usage so that states aren't left short-handed.

"We just want to make sure the words and the actions match up," Pawlenty said.

Blum, before closing doors for his meeting with governors, said that he came to assure them that he shared their concerns about equipment and would work with Pentagon leaders so governors' needs would be met.

"We have not delivered on equipment. We owe them better than that," he said.

Last year, governors unsuccessfully fought the change in federal law that gave President Bush the power to federalize the Guard without governors' consent. Historically, governors have maintained control in domestic emergencies, while the president's control over the Guard was reserved for overseas demands.

Now, state leaders hope to persuade congressional leaders to reverse the change.

"I have very strong concerns about how the federal government might abuse that authority," said Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm, a Democrat.

"Montana's constitution is very clear. We can't have folks come in who are armed," said Gov. Brian Schweitzer, D-Mont. "We're simply not going to accept it."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.

Your thoughts?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Given that the National Guard is a Reserve component of the US Army and are seconded to state governors for use in riot quelling and disaster relief,but are STILL subject to overseas deployment as are the Regular Army,I don't see what the problem is.

The majority of the Guard's funding and equipment come from the feds. See how long they last as State troops once the funding gets pulled.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

OK. Your guys work the same way, pretty much as they do in Canada. When a major domestic disaster happens, the local government may request, through the Lt Gov of Canada that reserve or regular troops (as the case may be for availability) to give Aid to Civil Power. The Lt Gov will then contact the Chief of Defence Staff (equal to Chairman Joint Chiefs) who will contact the appropriate Brigade Commander, who of course then delegates the required unit or units to provide. The whole process takes about 2 days I think LOL. It is pretty much an Act of Parliment to get things working.

Local military commanders have no authority to "offer" assistance at any time, without orders from Ottawa.

All funding for reserve forces comes from National Defence Headquarters in Ottawa.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Thread Information