MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Ok. Maybe I Am Confused On The Issue At Large

Virginia Lawmakers Express 'Profound Regret' For Slavery. General Assembly Votes To Make Formal Apology

POSTED: 5:28 pm EST February 24, 2007
    UPDATED: 5:32 pm EST February 24, 2007

RICHMOND, Va. -- The Virginia General Assembly voted unanimously Saturday to express "profound regret" for the state's role in slavery.

Meeting on the grounds of the former Confederate Capitol, lawmakers first passed the resolution in the House 96-0.

The measure later cleared the Senate on a unanimous voice vote.

Sponsors of the resolution said they know of no other state that has apologized for slavery -- although Missouri lawmakers are considering such a measure.

Supporters said the resolution does not carry the weight of law but sends an important symbolic message.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.

Possibly I am missing a greater picture here, but it seems to me, legislation of this type is more a waste on taxpayers money than anything useful. I admit and agree that the early history to which these events occured was a very bad and unfortunate time period. The fact is, it happened a lot longer ago than any living person can recall (factually and personally) by persons who are now no more (physically) than names printed on a page in a book. On another token, these same events are part and parcel of what formed the basics of what this country is today, and for which it stands.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think it basically amounts to "I'm very very sorry for what my great great grandfather did to your great great grandfather".

I'm not quite sure what the point of that is. We can look back at the culture 150 years ago and say "Wow, that was wrong", but should there be an apology for it?

I'm concerned that it might open the door for "reparations" and lawsuits.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

MembersZone Subscriber

It certainly does open the door to all kinds of arguements, but I look at it this way.

If you were wrongly convicted of a crime, but died before your name could be cleared, would you not want the state to still admit it's mistake and clear your name eventually?

This is a different approach to the same type of arguement. If a wrong is done, it must be righted in the public eye. it is one thing to say "let's get on with it", but what becomes official history in another 500 years if there is no formal declaration that the wrong was ever committed.

There are a whole lot of morons who today claim the Holocaust never happened. Without proof of all the evidence, documentation, and the legal proceedings that followed WWII, who's to say those nutbars are wrong?

It's not my country or my issue, but if you ask my opinion, I say just get it over with, and put the damn issue to bed. I GUARANTEE it will happen eventually, and IMHO your wasting time and money mounting a pointless resistance.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

You mean you actually expect the politicians to ACTUALLY do something for the betterment of the individual citizens? WOW! You guys really smoke some good stuff up there in Canada.

This sort of stuff does nothing for anyone but please the race baiters out there like Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and others who cannot move past horrible actions in the past to move themselves and others forward.

Political Correctness does nothing of any benefit for anyone.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

GOOD! Glad to see that other folks out there are thinking in much the same stream I was.

And ya this politically correct stuff is gonna kill someone soon. OH WAIT! It already has.

The reparations thing came to my mind too. But that precedence has already been set in Canada at least, with the Japanese who were interred during WWII.

As for "history" well, we all know that History is written by the Victorious.

Forum Member

The conditions of many African-Americans today are a direct result of years of slavery, violence, and discrimination. The least we can do is apologize officially. I personally feel that millions upon millions of dollars are due in back pay for all those years of state sponsored slavery.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    The conditions of many African-Americans today are a direct result of years of slavery, violence, and discrimination. The least we can do is apologize officially. I personally feel that millions upon millions of dollars are due in back pay for all those years of state sponsored slavery.
    Where would this millions and millions of dollars come from? This would have a profound effect on the economy and would hurt everyone in the country dramatically. Personally I don't feel that the current generation should be forced to pay for the sins of their great great great grandfathers.

I have no problem with an official statement, of some sort, which says that the behavior of the previous generations regarding slavery was wrong. Obviously it was, and we should be ashamed of it, but the statement should stop short of an apology.

And there are many factors that contribute to the conditions of African-Americans in this country in addition to slavery. Such a broad statement oversimplifies a very complex subject.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleman View Post
    Then you pay it. (A novel concept but if it were made voluntary most people would not give money for such a ludicrous idea. Just as people do not "voluntarily" pay higher taxes when given the opportunity.)

I will not apologize for something that i am not responsible for, did not take part in, or benefited from.

My ancestors only came to this country in the early 20th century. Where is there (or my) responsibility for what occurred before their (or my) arrival?

I suppose that the Irish and Chinese ought to be given reparations for the discrimination, relative slavery, and violence that they endured after coming to this country (and not always of their own free will either.)

Oh yeah, but those folks have been able to move on despite hatred, violence, discrimination, and difficult times. How silly of me.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

MembersZone Subscriber

**dang stupid firewalls.

Where would this millions and millions of dollars come from? This would have a profound effect on the economy and would hurt everyone in the country dramatically. Personally I don't feel that the current generation should be forced to pay for the sins of their great great great grandfathers.

I have no problem with an official statement, of some sort, which says that the behavior of the previous generations regarding slavery was wrong. Obviously it was, and we should be ashamed of it, but the statement should stop short of an apology.

And there are many factors that contribute to the conditions of African-Americans in this country in addition to slavery. Such a broad statement oversimplifies a very complex subject.
    Actually where "reparations" are concerned, if it didnt happen in THIS century (or in the last 100 years) then why should the Children of Tomorrow be held accountable? We didn't do it for one thing, secondly I am pretty sure that a fairly solid argument could be made using history, and the Civil War and President Lincoln and his Administration as a form of apology. Sure he couldn't fix what was already done, but he paved the way to correct the problem.

So here's a suggestion regarding reparations. Pay it back sure, at the exact dollar value of what was taken. No exchange, no inflation nothing. If it was $10.00 in circa 1864, then its $10.00 now. Like voyager says, where is it going to come from? Or maybe Nozz has the money tucked away in some hidden vault?

Maybe us NORTH Americans should ask the British Government for reparations for taxation and social exploitation from circa 1700 also?

When does it stop?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree that money does little to nothing to help.

Canada has been throwing money at the Natives for a couple of decades now in a form of Reparations (which they too are certainly due), but it has made little impact.

The few success stories out there (i.e Nunavut) are a result of Native communities that did it without the finger of the Canadian Government trying to "fix" everything.

If they have a plan that stands to make a difference, then by all means the government should help with funding, but throwing money at the "problem" only serves to reinforce reliance on state handouts.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

How many slaves are still living? Need the number so we can figure how much to pay back.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Leave it to some lawyer too file a class action lawsuit and in the end the lawyer will get the lions share while those involved will each get a whopping check for $1.00.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lvwrench View Post
    Leave it to some lawyer too file a class action lawsuit and in the end the lawyer will get the lions share while those involved will each get a whopping check for $1.00.
    Just like the cigarette settlements...

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Reparations for slavery are to be paid immediately with whatever is left over after we give everything back to the Native Americans. . .
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Thumbs up I want some too!

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7 View Post
    **dang stupid firewalls.

Maybe us NORTH Americans should ask the British Government for reparations for taxation and social exploitation from circa 1700 also?

When does it stop?
    Complete agreement! As a British citizen whose country was over run in 56BC by the Romans-then again by the Vikings in about 800 AD-then William the Conquerer in 1066--where do I collect my money? Rome? Oslo? Paris?

Thread Information