Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TO's

Forum Member

Question TO's

I'm looking to purchase/replace our departments TO's in he next couple of months, and am looking for a little info. Currently, we're using the PBI gold from Lion and a few sets of Securitex. We've had huge problems with the PBI wearing out very quickly (horrid abrasion resistance) and I've recently heard some negative comments on the nomex/kevlar materials used in the Securitex (although my personal gear is Securitex and I've been very happy with them). Any thoughts or input would be appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sir I do intend to be rude But if you do a search you find that this has been discussed many, many times.

To answer your question check some area departments see what they have and their feelings. If you can get some demo's to try and see WHAT you like.

Forum Member

haha...you're not being rude @ all. Just thought I'd get an updated version of what people thought as things change pretty quick. I've demo'd gear, but the time allowed really doesn't tell the whole story (e.g. will they hold up to the guys abuse for the next 5 yrs?). I have also spoken with other departments to gather their opinions. Just thought I'd ask what folks here from around the country thought. Thanks much though for your reply.

Forum Member

Guess I need to go take typing lessons. Sorry guys

Damn, I thought this would be about TO's, not turnouts. Just to remain on topic, Securitex SUCKS.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you'll go to the gear manfacturers' websites, you'll find most of them have on their sites or in their catalogs (most of which are accessible in an online format like pdf) a section in regards to outer shell materials. A few that I know off the top of my head or with a quck search are Globe, Securitex, Lion, and Morning Pride. A little searching and you can probably find any gear builder you want and the information on their sites.

Without getting into which gear is better, I prefer the Advance (Kevlar/Nomex blend) over the PBI. PBI may be able to handle more heat, but it deteriorates in UV light (sunlight and flourescent lighting). According to info off one of the sites, PBI is rated at 800-1100 degrees F compared to 660-900 for Advance.

One thing you'll also find is for the most part there's only one or two mills that make the outer liner fabrics, so the Brand A's PBI or whatever is better than Brand B's is BS unless it's two different companies manufacturing that particular material.

Like I say, do some searching online, get with some dealers/distrubutors and request info, even request a set of trial gear. We're going through the same ordeal right now with a grant to replace head to toe. We know we're going advance, but trying to figure out the rest of the options (thermal and moisture barriers, hoods, helmets, boots, gloves, etc.).

Forum Member

Thanks Catch22. Yeah, the reason I'm doing all this with TO's and BA's is becuse of a grant too. I've been happy with the Kevlar/Nomex as well ( I tend to be really hard on gear).

MembersZone Subscriber

Wink

Catch, Thanks for helping this brother with his question. I would have tried to get the sites for him but have not figured out all the in's and outs on the forums even though I have read them for years it seems.

MembersZone Subscriber

No problem guys, glad I could be of some help. I've got a ton of printed material from Securitex, Morning Pride, and Globe just from the posting that we got our grant. Good information, for sure.

One thing to make sure of is get the gear that's going to best fit your department. My mindset is that it's going to be a long time before do a gear replacement of this magnitude, so i best do something that is going to last. Like I say, I'm sticking with the Advance because the PBI breaks down quicker and it's more cost-effective. The thermal and moisture barriers I'm upgrading, since there's not so much degradation and the costs are closer to each other than with outer liners.

Make sure you get to look at the gear, though. I've caught several makers that single-stitch seams, the fit is crap, use cheap reinforcement materials, etc. We're also looking at reinforcing the cuffs, knees, and pockets where we have a lot of wear with a more durable material (Arashield or something like that).

If I can share any info at all or point you in a direction, feel free to PM or email me and I'll be happy to. I'm sure other guys will have beneficial input as well.

Forum Member

Catch, I shot you an E-mail.

Thread Information