MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anybody been Re-hired?

I'm trying to be re-hired at the department that I left a little over a year ago. I left to go to a bigger department and it didn't work out. I got sick in recruit school (dehydration due to a stomach virus--crapped my pants on one occasion during pt--that's how bad I felt) and they reviewed my medical history paperwork. They (the dept) said I had made an error on one of the questions. I checked "NO" when they said I should have checked "Yes". The question was "Have you ever had chest pain?" and I either misread or misunderstood the question and checked no. They brought up the time from about 6 years earlier when I had gotten dehydrated during an agility test and my chest was hurting. I was cleared by my doctors and a cardiologist then. I was forced to resign from the dept. but they said I could reapply that they would not hold it against me. They understood it was just an error and that I did not "lie" about anything. Anyway, I'm trying to get back with the department that I left before. I've talked to the Chief and he placed me back on the hiring list. I've not heard anything else and that has been since August of 2006. They just opened up the application process again for the Fall of 2007. They posted it on their website on Friday afternoon and I turned in my application this morning. I'm the first person to turn in an application. Can anybody give me any pointers on how I can impress the department again to give me a second chance. Also, I did leave on good terms. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Forum Member

Depending on where it was, I would check up on the rules of the township, borough, county, city.... whatever it is. Some cities and the federal government have rules regarding reinstatement. Do some research and talk to the proper people more (HR, Chief, people on the job). I wouldn't say "I left for bigger and better but it didn't work out, I got dehydrated, etc etc". I would make it sound like you wanted to try a different experience and it wasn't what you expected and you'd like to know your options.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would have to believe that if there was a rule against reinstatement the chief would have already told you. I am a little confused as to why you havenít spoken to your old crew, including your captain and BC. It seems like you have very little information for a guy who used to work there. Depending on how long you have been gone the chief has the ability to rehire you.

If itís been since August and you have not heard much (anything) I would have my doubts. This is compounded by the fact that the department is retesting. Has anyone else been hired?
    Did you leave in good terms? How long were you employed and how is your personnel file? Sometimes when an employee leaves everyone is grateful. Itís often a one-way door. On the other hand a good employee is welcomed back with open arms.
    Down deep only you know the answers.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Forum Member

Dont offer up the story about crapping your pants. And I dont usually suggest this kind of thing, but if someone does ask about it, lie.

MembersZone Subscriber

I've met with the Chief and he put me back on the hiring list. The department has never reinstated anybody before and the chief did say that this was "something new". My one year is up. As for my personnel file, it is clean as whistle. I was never in trouble, had good evaluations and the my old BC and Captain really want me back. Everybody knew what had happened to me at the other department and why I was forced to resign, it is no secret and I tell the entire truth when someone ask me. I have nothing to hide. I made an honest mistake, everybody does. I'm just asking if anybody else has gone through anything similar and what they have done to get back. Oh, I was with the department for 4 years. Also like I said above, everybody I worked with wants me back but the department has never "reinstated" anybody. What else should I do?

Forum Member

I can't say I really know about reinstatement much here and sounds like you have some good advice. I got hired with a guy that left our dept 5 years earlier and came back, but he had to go through the testing process again...being gone that long.

The only reinstatement I read about was that of FF Jay Lyons of Worcester, MA. That was in the book 3000 Degrees. He died in the Cold storage Fire in 1999. He left the FD to become a State Trooper, had some problems with that and wanted to get back on the FD. From what the book said it sounded like he talked to his neighbor and BC and he put the word in to the Chief.

Doubt that really helps you much here, but the only one I read about. Hopefully someone who has been reinstated can help you...but BC Lepore has some good advice.

Forum Member

Irg.. why didn't you call in when you had the stomach virus? Our instructors during the academy did let diarrhea or the runs as an excused type absence, unless a mandatory burn or extrication skill. You sound like you could definitely get re-hired as long as your old crew wants you back. Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

We were under the impression that "There are NO sick days while you are in rookie school". It was one of those deals, that I didn't want to give a bad first impression. I had worked very hard to get the job and I just wanted to suck it up for the rest of my classmates. I'm hard headed and just don't give up very easily.

Thread Information