MembersZone Subscriber

Question Sky Arm, Bronto, Metz... that is the question...

Okay, I did a forum search for Rosenbauer information and didn't come up with much so I risked posting a new thread.

Sky Arm and Bronto are both detailed extensively on the associated web pages and in terms of performance and the hard facts on vehicle length (we need something relatively short), stick height, tip load, basket sweep, windy operations, compartment space and overall versatility, the Bronto stuffs the Sky Arm in the trunk and drives it into the lake and kills all the witnesses. In fact, Bronto (with an Industry Package at that) excels in key areas where we need it the most- ie: all those areas.

It was recently brought to my attention that Rosenbauer / Metz was a potential contender as well. I've googled and searched but Rosy just doesn't seem to like to put a lot of cold, hard facts on the table in their websites where Pierce and E-One do. I know how many cubic feet of compartment space there is, safety ratios loaded and unloaded, length, weight, height... jack width... blah blah blah.

Can't seem to get that on Rosy's site and I'm not sure I want to wait for them to snail mail me a brochure that's probably no more detailed. I also don't want a "verbal" because I'd like to be able to reference someTHING instead of someONE.

Anyone got any hard data on the Rosy 104 rear mount? Regarding vehicle length in particular. It is literally one of the biggest concerns, as our bay is only 48' at the MAX. Something I might be able to refer to? A spec sheet... anything?

Fact is the lack of that articulating jib will be a crippling shortfall, although I have always been a big fan of the Metz rig and Rosenbauer apparatus. I work an industrial site (for the purpose of this thread, at least) and the dexterity of that articulating arm is, I dare say, a requirement. There is a lot of potential here for an aerial that is so equipped.

I thank you in advance, and appologize if I missed a thread on the subject somewhere in my search.

Eno.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Senior Firefighter /EMT-A, A Shift
    HESD / OFD
    "To me, the charm of an encyclopedia is that it knows and I needn't."

Forum Member

If your looking at the Bronto and Skyarm, you'd best look at the Metz B32. It's an articulating platform like a Bronto. You can find info here: http://www.metz-online.de/aerials/in...t=C&nodeid=141

MembersZone Subscriber

DISCLAIMER: I sell Rosenbauer. I will spew forth propoganda.

Van is correct, the B32 is coming over to our shores, I think you'll see a completed demo rig late this year. 1400 pound load capacity in the bucket I believe, but I don't know a whole lot more about it.

The standard 104 foot platform we sell (RK, not the Metz) can be on a vehicle that will fit in a 48' bay, and the Metz L32 (105 foot ladder with basket) even on a tandem axle chassis will easily fit that, with lots of room to spare. If you want some sample prints of apparatus with both aerials, PM me and I'll forward them to you in PDF format.

From your comments though, I think an articuluating unit like the Bronto is what you want and I think the B32 could perhaps fit your needs. Like every aerial product, I'm sure there will be areas where the Bronto will have advantages and the Metz B32 will have areas where it will shine. I can't tell you which one is right for you.

My suggestion would be to contact the local Rosenbauer dealer for your area. I would also contact the Metz USA folks at the link below.

http://www.metz-apparatus.com/contact.html

I hope this wasn't too biased.
    Last edited by npfd801; 02-27-2007 at 03:35 AM. Reason: grammar
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Hey NPFD... (and vanisle) I thank you for the extremely objective response considering your position. I will investigate this B32!

eno.
    Ian "Eno" McLeod
    Senior Firefighter /EMT-A, A Shift
    HESD / OFD
    "To me, the charm of an encyclopedia is that it knows and I needn't."

Forum Member

Eno,Aerial fact sheet can get you your basics but as most of the bodies are custom built to your needs that information will be harder to come by.Many cofigurations of compartments,sizes,etc depending on pump/no pump tank/no tank etc.Not a huge selection of articulating devices. T.C.

Thread Information