Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: well???

Forum Member

Default well???

Got a question....im sure this has been asked befor but i just need to know........... so in virginia when i am traveling down the interstate and see an accident or a fender bender or even just a car pulled off.....as a BLS ( EMT-B) am i supposed to pull over and check on them? and id so when i pull over am i also supposed to call state pd and tell them that there are thease or this carr pulled over and tell them what the situation is?

Somtimes i dont feel comfortable pulling over... the person maybe a kidnapper or murder for all i know and be pulled over to lure somone into pulling over...

What are your thoughts?

ks

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=88354

How many times do you plan to ask?

One forum per question, please.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

as an exlorer I would give that a no but if your chief wants the liability then by all means go right ahead.

A point to ponder.
    Does the same possability exsist when going to a call?
    You are the one that has to decide what is right in your mind.
    If nothing else pull over at a distance away if you have cell coverage call it in and wait at a distance and if someone does need you help and you feel it is safe to approach do so, if not have them wait at their car. Always assess the scene before you approach as you would on any call. If it appears unsafe do not approach.
    Imagine Having done nothing.

150 years of tradition unhampered by progress!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter2230 View Post
    as an exlorer I would give that a no but if your chief wants the liability then by all means go right ahead.
    im also a volunteer at another department a few miles north of my explorer dept. im a frie fighter 1 emtb and hazmat opps/

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=88354

How many times do you plan to ask?

One forum per question, please.
    i want to get veiws from ems personell and fire personel and fire fighters dont read the ems forums

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PFVFRWFD1 View Post
    im also a volunteer at another department a few miles north of my explorer dept. im a frie fighter 1 emtb and hazmat opps/
    before I post anymore how old are you and what status do you hold with that department?

Default I said it once ill say it again

first what is the LAW? second what about personal safety. WE have a duty to act no matter what, if you still have the question. Your department should have a lawyer on retainer, call him and get the answer.

i want to get veiws from ems personell and fire personel and fire fighters dont read the ems forums

That's an ignorant statement...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by pletch View Post
    first what is the LAW? second what about personal safety. WE have a duty to act no matter what, if you still have the question. Your department should have a lawyer on retainer, call him and get the answer.
    I really don't think that this kid should be stopping at any incident.

But if this person really wants to know.....ask his/her Chief!! His/her chief should know the laws in their state as well as his/her qualifications and would be better suited at answering these questions!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Default not a kid

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    I really don't think that this kid should be stopping at any incident.

But if this person really wants to know.....ask his/her Chief!! His/her chief should know the laws in their state as well as his/her qualifications and would be better suited at answering these questions!!!
    Im not a kid...im 19 years old.
    Last edited by PFVFRWFD1; 02-28-2007 at 08:35 AM.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

I think i got wat i was looking for thanks everyone!

19... In this line of work? Yeah, you're a kid...
    Giggity - Giggity!

Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

Got a question....im sure this has been asked befor but i just need to know........... so in virginia when i am traveling down the interstate and see an accident or a fender bender or even just a car pulled off.....as a BLS ( EMT-B) am i supposed to pull over and check on them? and id so when i pull over am i also supposed to call state pd and tell them that there are thease or this carr pulled over and tell them what the situation is?

Somtimes i dont feel comfortable pulling over... the person maybe a kidnapper or murder for all i know and be pulled over to lure somone into pulling over...

What are your thoughts?

ks
    In my mind there is a huge difference between seeing car involved in an accident and surveying the scene to see if someone needs help and a car just pulled over to the side.

I have stopped at accidents to see if i could help and usually that help is nothing more than calling 911 on my cell. I don't carry a Jonny and Roy med kit in my car so there isn't much I am going to be able to do anyways.

If a car is pulled to the side there is nothing that says you can't take a look as you drive by. If the driver looks like he is slumped over the wheel or in some physical distress I would call 911. Suppose it is a whack job with a gun with who knows what intent and you stop?

As far as always having a duty to act...perhaps and then again perhpas not. If you stop and identify yourself as Fire or EMS yes then you have a duty to act. If it is not your area of jurisdiction and you are not on duty (I know gray area with volunteers) are you sure you have a duty to act? I am not saying I wouldn't stop, but to say you have to stop I think pushes the definition of the law beyond its scope.

FyredUp

MembersZone Subscriber

This is how its always been explained to me in regards to "duty to act"...
    • If you're on duty and see an accident, you are required to stop.
    • If you are off duty, you are not.
    • If you are a vollie and inside your district, you're considered on duty and must stop.
    • If you're a vollie and outside of your district, you are not required to stop.

Now, if you have reason to fear it's an unsafe situation, stop well past the incident and request LE to respond. You probably need to make sure they're aware of the vehicle/accident/whatever anyway.

If it's obviously an accident, I'd stop no matter where I was (I've done it several times and in many states). If no one is injured, make sure 911 has been called and leave if they need no assistance.

Forum Member

Actually no matter where you are... as a volunteer until the pager goes off you do not technically have a duty to act..you MUST be dispatched to a scene to have the duty to act...and even as a volunteer if you drive by in your POV they can try, but will have a tough time holding anything against you...you are not required to respond to anything as a volunteer, but once you get on that ambulance/fire truck you have a duty to act...also...if you get dispatched and you stop on scene..you also have the same duty to act...

So summary...In POV and have been dispatched...not required to act until you commit yourself to the scene...get out of your vehicle and offer assistance

Quote Originally Posted by pletch View Post
    I believe if you're off duty or just driving by or what not you don't have to stop. You have no duty to act unless your dept or agency has been called out for the incident. It probably would be best if you looked the other way and drove by and kept about your business. I know you're probably thinking what a di*^ I am for saying that but in this day and age everyone is sue happy so I'd CYA and keep going.

I will tell you if you drive in our area and you stop and provide aid/care you better be able to identify yourself and have proof you are what you say you are when we get there. To many people watch tv and think they know how to handle this stuff but they have no fu#@%$^ clue what they're doing! You would be asked to leave and documentation of a police report will be done just to cover our fd.

I know for the most part everyone is just trying to help and thats great but take an extra second and decide should I or shouldn't I.

How can you be an explorer on one dept and a FF/EMT-B on another? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by dday05 View Post
    How can you be an explorer on one dept and a FF/EMT-B on another? I'm confused.
    Makes two of us
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

Default Two

im a member of two departments.
    One department i joined when i was 14 as an explorer....i have been the president there for 4 years so i didn't leave. That department doesnt allow explorers to do ems either. so i joined an all volunteer department about 30 minutes north of the first one. i live 1/2 way between both.

Thread Information