MembersZone Subscriber

Post New IAFF charter

Our fire dept is a newly recognized IAFF Charter L-4565, however we have yet to start negotiations with the City. Do any of my Union brothers have any advice or suggestions to help us with hammering out our first contract. We are a small combination fire dept in rural N. Florida. Our primary goal is getting to work 24 hour shifts and having a minimum of 2 people on shift at all times. Any helpful suggestions, advice, tips or anything like that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

Forum Member

Welcome aboard Brother. It is hard to believe there has been 500 new locals chartered in less then 7 years. My only advice to you is to work with your state association. Not knowing what your situation is, I can only assume that the local government may not be that enthusiastic about your choice to affiliate. It is especially hard in Right to Work states. However, you have 280,000 of us behind you. Dont be afraid to ask for help from locals in your area. They know how the local climate is...And I aint talkin about the weather.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT View Post
    My only advice to you is to work with your state association. Not knowing what your situation is, I can only assume that the local government may not be that enthusiastic about your choice to affiliate. It is especially hard in Right to Work states. However, you have 280,000 of us behind you. Dont be afraid to ask for help from locals in your area. They know how the local climate is...And I aint talkin about the weather.
    First I would also like to say welcome aboard bro. I agree with what mikey says. Just be sure that you all negotiate in good faith. Dont go overboard and ask for too much. I can gurantee you that the city is expecting the worst and will try to discredit you if they ever get any ammo.
    Sounds like the goals that you are wanting are not far fetched at all. The 24/48 coupled with the manpower is a good start. I would recommend trying to get a 3 man minium staffing if possible.

Hope all goes well if you have any questions feel free to holla at me through P.M.

Take care bro
    Tann
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

Rabble rouser

First of all, welcome to the fold, brother!

Hopefully someday we will be in your boat of having to worry about a contract, but until then... right to work is killing us...

L-2068
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Default Take Your Time!!!!!

I would suggest that you take your time and stand your ground. Do NOT give in!!!! If it takes 6 months fine. Your 1st Contract is were you lay the ground work. Make sure its solid. I am the President of Local 4117 outside of Austin TX. My Local was the 1st Emergency Services District in the State of Texas to obtain Collective Bargaining. We won our Election in May of 2006 and signed our 1st ever contract on Nov 17th.

Thread Information