Forum Member

Post New E9-1-1 Center

Our rural parish is in the early stages of implementing a brand new E9-1-1 center. We are the only parish in Louisiana lacking Enhanced 9-1-1, but we are working hard to change this. We are currently in the process of re-addressing and mapping our parish. I am looking for any information related to successful dispatch equipment and CAD software for rural E9-1-1 centers. We will only have one dispatcher which will service all emergency agencies within our parish - Sheriff, City Police, and Fire (we only have around 9,600 citizens and our call volume is relatively low). We would like to place printers at each of our Fire Stations and have run sheets waiting at each station. We have also explored the idea of an alpha-numeric paging system. Any information related to this would be greatly appreciated. We are very new to this field, but we are trying to learn as much as possible (and as quickly as possible!) Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Forum Member

Starting a 911 center is hard work to say the least. I would suggest finding several 911 centers in your area that are about the same size as yours will be and see what they use for CAD systems and paging systems. A CAD system alone can be anywhere from $500,000 to upwards of several million dollars. This does not include the radio and phone systems.

Speak with the people that are in charge of those 911 centers and get their help in getting started. Networking begins now!
    Someone once told me that time is a predator that stalks us all our lives. But maybe time is also a companion who goes with us on our journey, and reminds us to cherish the moments of our lives because they will never come again.

Forum Member

MrJim911,

Thanks for the info and we are well aware of the work involved with starting 911. We have been working on this project since last June and have accomplished quite a bit. We had to start from scratch being we had no Communications District and no source of income, but we now have both and are progressing quickly. We have met with numerous 911 Administrators from all over Louisiana, and they have given us some great information. I was just hoping to get some ideas on the newest and most successful equipment out there. Many of the agencies we have visited have older equipment and systems, so I just wanted to branch out and get some new and different info. I guess you could say I am trying to do some additional networking!!! Thanks for your time and help.

MembersZone Subscriber

A great resource in your state is Willis Carter from Caddo Parish. Another is Woody Glover from St. Tammany's. If you haven't talked to either of these gentlemen, I'd recommend that you try to do so.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BarryTFurey View Post
    A great resource in your state is Willis Carter from Caddo Parish. Another is Woody Glover from St. Tammany's. If you haven't talked to either of these gentlemen, I'd recommend that you try to do so.
    Thanks for the info. We have been in touch with Mr. Carter (being Caddo Parish is our neighbor plus his wife is the administrator for Caddo911), but I haven't heard of Mr. Glover. I will attempt to make contact with him. Thanks.

Default E911 Company

We install and operate E911 centers across the country. I would be interested in speaking with you.

Thread Information