Forum Member

Default Drafting a new contract, can we see yours??

My local is going to be going into contract negotiations here in another year. We are trying to get things going here soon so we are prepared ahead of the game, however our contract is crap currently. The past has really screwed things up for us future guys. I would like to ask if anyone has their contracts in PDF or and text form that they may be able to send my way in order to see how your wording is and what topics you cover. Simply we're looking to make sure we're keeping up with the rest of the nation and not losing out on anything. I know, I know... most of the local contracts are taylored to their specific situation, which we are addressing. However, there are several topics that EVERY local should have. Any help IS most appreciated. From my undersdtanding, IAFF is supposed to be making a list of such things on their site, however last time I checked, they haven't. Again, thanks in advance.

Forum Member

We've got a new contract going into effect on July 1st, but you can get the gist of it from this.
    Last edited by Geinandputitout; 11-09-2008 at 11:11 PM.

Forum Member

Geinandputitout,

Thank you VERY much! This will be extremely helpful in giving us some direction in what we are lacking (which is almost everything). I just glanced through the TOC, but I can see the detail given. If anyone else can help out we would be most appreciative. Again, Geinandputitout, thank you.

Rabble rouser

Houston, Texas Local 341 has theirs posted on their website...

http://www.local341.org/contract2.pdf
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

Kobersteen, Thank you so much for that link as well. I did find that the US Department of Labor actually keeps a lot of contracts in a databse, many of which are availble online. I believe it's mostly centered around collective bargaining clauses however. Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.bls.gov/cba/cbaindex.htm

Again, thanks for the help guys!

Forum Member

Contact your states orginization and you can see every contract in your state. This will be more helpful if you are written like area depts. It will make your case stronger in negotiations. If you are say from New York and you copied a contract from California it doesn't hold much water. Not the same demographics. If however you use a neighboring dept. now you have some real comparisons.
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

Forum Member

KeithA8,

Thanks for the reply, and I agree with you. I know that the majority of the contract is taylored specifically for that department, all individual places have issues and laws/ordinances that must be handled in the contract differently. Mostly I was just looking for some of the more common themes, such as how salaries are broekn down/worded, holiday pays, clothing allowances and such. All this information that has been given by you guys and along with everything else I have come across has been of a huge help. Thanks!

Rabble rouser

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter1023 View Post
    ...I did find that the US Department of Labor actually keeps a lot of contracts in a databse, many of which are availble online.
    Wow... what a great resource! Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
    Member IACOJ - Building crust and full of lust...

"It's okay to to scared, just don't be chicken." - Clark

Forum Member

No problem. I just happend to stumble upon it yesterday as I was looking for more online resources. I've never heard anyone make mention of it before so I wanted to make sure I passed the information along. Hope it comes in handy for you and many others.

Forum Member

Our contract can be viewed on our website

www.champaignlocal1260.com

www.hbfdpfa.org

Just Click on the Contract Link on the left toolbar. gt

Forum Member

Dont you have comparables that you and the city look at? They are in the same state, same size, etc... You should be looking at their contracts not someone's in another state. It doesnt hurt for ideas, but your comparables is what you should be looking at.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is ours. We cover approx. 38 sq. mi. and 30,000+ people from 3 stations and 20 guys(18 on the line, 2 admin)

Local 3008 Contract
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Squad1LT View Post
    Dont you have comparables that you and the city look at? They are in the same state, same size, etc... You should be looking at their contracts not someone's in another state. It doesnt hurt for ideas, but your comparables is what you should be looking at.
    Agreed. I haven't yet looked for departments of similar size/geograpghy yet, however I will be doing just that, and I appreciate the reinforcement there.

Thanks to everyone who hase replied so far, this is of so much help to us.

Forum Member

firefighter1023, your state organization and the International can be of enormous help to you in this matter. In addition the international has a CD of model contract language that article by article gives real life examples of language in local's contracts plus what is considered to be ideal language.

Use the resourses you have available to you, you are after all paying for them. Best of luck.
    A'int No Rocket Scientist's in The Firehall

Forum Member

for every contract in Ohio go to:

http://www.serb.state.oh.us/sections...ACT%20LIST.pdf

they might not be all up to date.

Forum Member

Smoke20286, TFDNICK,

Thanks for your recommendations. I am on the same trail you describe, Smoke. I've got the contact info for the state and international, just haven't gotten to contacting them just yet. Thanks again for the help!

Thread Information