Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default People turning in front of your rigs.

As a firebuff, I want to get all of you guys and gals opinion on this one topic.

Running all of the alarms all of you do on a regular basis, have you ever had someone turn onto a side street in front of you or in the case of having a second rig a short distance behind you turning in front of them because they thought they had enough time.

What brings this us is I got to see such a senerio in Kansas City, while on vacation last week. This one jerk let the truck company pass, but while the rest of us at the intersection waited for the engine company to clear, he went ahead and made his turn.

Good thing is there was just enough distance for this not to be tragic.

Here is my rule of thumb for any large vehicle coming towards you at a decent speed. Do not turn in front of it, because the distance and speed is just an optical illusion. That is they may be going faster than you think.

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

It happens often.

Some people are just unaware of thier surroundings in thier soundproof, bass thumping passenger cars. Some are just rude, and don't want to be "inconvenienced" by having to wait. And some just plain panic, and react completely unexpectedly.

The driver's of the apparatus are trained to expect the unexpected, and even when it does go wrong, there is often a lot of unseen reaction and response going on in a few milliseconds to minimize the damage.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

this happened to me a couple of times this past weekend as i was the driver of our 1st due engine.it is VERY upsetting,it seems people have no respect for large trucks.i think when they see a fire engine with the flashing lights and siren going they lose their common sense and become complete idiots!!!!

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

i think when they see a fire engine with the flashing lights and siren going they lose their common sense and become complete idiots!!!!
    Nah, most of them are like that all the time.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Mc you left out the part where some folks are just plain STUPID and should not be allowed to breed!

Forum Member

Angry

I gave a black ford Super Duty the full case of the air horn just recently for turning in front of us, or into the right lane as we were in the left. I've seen folks ride our bumper before too. Be careful, you never know who may be watching.

We just run them over. The rig I drive is all wheel drive and has good ride height. We run through some other jurisdictions at times getting to our calls, I just make sure when I run someone over, I leave the mess in someone else's jurisdiction to clean up...

I highly recommend purchasing W/UI rigs for first out pumpers. Just run the SOBs over...

Serious answer - it happens all the time here. If I'm following, I purposely put a LARGE gap (many blocks) between the leading apparatus and myself. No one pays attention here, so that gap is a great way to avoid what you're talking about.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

As we were responding to a call for a fire Sunday a neighboring ambulance crew would'nt yeild to us!! What a bunch of inconsiderate MF ers! And to top it off, since we're talking about people being idiots, one of my guys had a report wrote up on him because the local pd decided to mark the driveway of the house where we were responding to with smoke coming out of it with their car and my guy told them to get their GD car out of the way so we can get the truck up the drive. This is complete BULLS#*^! It's ok for them to mf someone they're going to arrest though. As far as I'm concerned they'll get over it.

Forum Member

"We just run them over."

We actually tried that once too, knocked that blue Chev PU across 3 lanes of traffic. Got her attention !
    Also had a driver turn right, (wrong way) on a one way street and met us head on. There was about 6 ft. between us when we both stopped.

Forum Member

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt for $80,000.

We where dispatched to a second alarm fire a couple of years ago, I was driving our Ladder truck came up on a bunch of cars who pulled over went around the line of cars and trucks and the last truck in line (Tractor Trailer) made a left turn right in front of us. Long story short, no one was hurt 80,000 damage to ladder. When asked by the cop the truck driver said he heard us but did not see anything. Two lane road nothing coming at you must be behind you.

Forum Member

Letís see in my years of driving, 1- school bus, 1- police car, and to many civilians to count. Most recent was school bus. We were on a two lane highway with a center turn lane. I was driving engine with rescue right behind me. We both were in center lane due to heavy traffic. The bus pulled into the center lane, traveled a short distance at us and made a left turn in front of us. With the way traffic was he was lucky he did not get stuck in turn lane. Apparatus had to slow down slightly and wait for him to turn. Did get bus number and report him to bus garage after the run.
    In the incident with police car we were responding to a car submerged with occupant trapped. Normally as I approach an intersection where I will be turning left, if traffic allows I will slow and pull into the opposite lane indicating to oncoming traffic we want to turn left. I had pulled into the opposite lane with turn signal on, all warning equipment and siren. The on coming traffic lead by the police car who was not running lights or sirens slowed down pulled onto the shoulder of the road and went by 3 pieces of apparatus waiting to turn. One night I was responding to a vehicle fire in a shopping center. It was a four lane road and I had pulled into the opposite lane nearest the center of the road. There was one car coming and I had nosed the apparatus partially into the lane and the car slowed like it was waiting for us to turn. As I started to go car sped up and went by, we were able to stop in time and prevent a collision. The best part is a police sergeant watched the whole thing. As we were putting out car fire he comes up to me and starts giving me crap about almost hitting the car. Iím thinking shouldnít you have gone and stopped the car and ticketed it for failure to yield. Of course this is same cop that told me we should not be passing through an intersection by going into the opposite lane and passing on the left. He says itís ok to pass on the right.

Anyone had a car pull behind them while backing in station? I had pulled up in front of station and activated my lights. All traffic stopped and I started to back in. All of a sudden something caught my attention in the mirror. A car had pulled out of line and went zooming across the ramp into a municipal parking lot next to station. Apparatus was parked and into parking lot I went. Located the driver and issued a serious *** chewing session.

Forum Member

The worst are the one's that just stop in the middle of the road. Just assume that all drivers are going to do something stupid and plan ahead.

On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

We have an intersection here that joins two rural two-lane highways in a T. Semi-trucks coming up the leg of the T must see a sign I've never been able to find that says "Truckers - you do not have to stop here". They use these roads as a short cut around the city and 99% of the semis are turning right off that T. Our station is a mile or two down the road from the left side of that T, and our most frequent destination is to the right side of that T, so we're coming "across the top" if you will. All traffic on the "leg" of the T must stop, the "top" is a straight-through with no stops. Semi drivers most often treat this full stop intersection as a curve... down to about 15 miles an hour and just keep going. Compounding the issue, other drivers can't see to the right when the semis pull out, so they just dart out from the intersection quickly, keeping their eyes glued to the right to make sure they aren't cutting someone off - and forget to check left where we're steaming through.

Quote Originally Posted by rpierce View Post
    Anyone had a car pull behind them while backing in station?
    When don't we? Geez. It would be an unusual day if we didn't have a car pull behind us. After all, they're Important!, and we're just volunteer firefighters getting in the way. Right?
    --jay.

Thread Information