Forum Member

Default Firestation Generator

During this weekends ice storm that lay waste to Iowa it became woefully aparent that the state-county-city did not have the capability of supplying generators for 60 counties that were struck with power outages. My new task assigned by our chief is to search out and find options to obtain a permanent generator for our department. A few questions does a station generator fit under the FEMA grant guidelines? Does anyone know how to obtain one through other means?

MembersZone Subscriber

We used money from the State Homeland Security Grant Program (SHSGP) to install a 20KW generator and transfer switch at one of our stations at a cost of approximately $23,000. The grant money has been allocated to the states and is non-competitive. The generator comes under the physical security enhancement equipment section of the program.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Banned

We used the AFG last year to get a 60KW standby Generator and an exhaust system. The Generator with the transfer switch was around 27K. The firehouse is also the home of all of the other municipal offices as well. It is the only place in town with standby power capable of sustaining life for a long time. And with the falling of the snow, it is time to make sure it is operating properly again. Although, it does self test itself weekly and monthly.

MembersZone Subscriber

Generators qualify under the Modify Facilities section. AFG will not pay for anything that adds to the footprint of your station. They specifically mention that the cost of a concrete pad, for a generator, cannot be in the grant program. Plan to pay for the pad yourself, separate from the grant. I don't think that it would hurt to mention, in the narrative, that you understand the restriction and have made arrangements to cover it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I suggest 1st go to DOD surplus (FEPP program). Do a search in this forum on generator and you'll find several threads on the subject.

I've been scrambling this week to get our DOD gensets ready for towing to somewhere in Iowa. We only got for our own backup and were not concerned about lights. And had one unit I had not gotten around to starting before winter arrived.

Our gensets from DOD, all diesel.
    3kw (on wildland truck) approx 250hr
    Trailer mounted with 2x 5kw MEP-002 150hr ea (civ rating approx 7kw)
    Trailer mounted 10kw MEP-003 550hr (civ rating approx 14kw)
    200kw MEP009B w/ 18hr (civ rating approx 250+ kw) I mounted on a mil dolly/trailer unit so can drop to ground level for use.

You don't have to buy anything or "waste" your fire grant app (or $ for others) on a good genset. And you don't have to wait months to get something on hand.

Forum Member

neiowa - can you post links or contact info for the DOD / FEPP .

Thanks
    SBLGFD

MembersZone Subscriber

Contact your state forester. They are the requesting body and "own" the equipment loaned to you.

I don't know how active Wi in the FEPP program. Ft McCoy certainly as a good vol. of equipment going thru it and I've gotten a lot of stuff there.

Forum Member

I tried the IA DNR for a station generator and everything they had was too small.

Here is a FEPP list for all the states:

http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/partners/f..._vfa_mgrs.html

MembersZone Subscriber

IA DNR doesn't keep a warehouse full of stuff to go shopping in. And the state doesn't even give them a budget to operate the FEPP program. Pathetic. That POS Vilsack personally told me when he visited my town in 2005 that could get them some funding but never happened. To busy thinking about being President.

If you can tell Gail/Karl exactly what unit you want then to req for you and you're prepared to do the work in arranging transport (doing or paying for it) they're good about getting the requests in. But FEPP is about the 12th additional duty for Gail. After that you have to wait a couple weeks to learn if you're getting it or not (or going to someone else). Most equipment is going to be quite a distance from Iowa. But transport is you only cost (+convert/maintain as req.)

Today I help a local dept with locate and request a 10kw on trailer and another dept with 2x 100kw (they passed on the 200kw as in Sc). Given current conditions there may ne 50 requests for one genset. In Apr no one seems to think about gensets.

jeriaemt - you have to turn on the email option if you want PM or send me one. Perhaps I can assist.
    Last edited by neiowa; 03-02-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Banned

We tried the excess route. If I recall there was a cost involved in getting the surplus equipment. The problem was that you could get a 200K which was a ton of overkill for us, or the little 5kw and 10kw units. Just curious though, someone mentioned small generators (less than 10KW) that were deisel. I can but that for maybe the 10K, bit for a 2K? My next question was why were these things surplus? I believe in some cases they have been replaced by newer and better equipment.

Nothing in life is free. If you get a surplus generator you still have to get it the location, you have to install it, and in many cases will need to buy the transfer switch (which isn't cheap). Then you need to get it wired in, which also cost. We put in a 60KW Onan genrator, runs on propane, with the switch, and installation for about 27K, our costs $1,350. I think you will have a hard time putting in a surplus generator at that cost. Especially if you need to buy the transfer switch. Ours was around $4,000. And this comes with service, support, and a warranty.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have some 36 KW (and possibly some 45KW) with transfer switches, that
    I would be interested in doing some swapping for.

They belong to our company, but I would be glad to donate to my department for some trading material.....

Espically if someone had a deal on a tanker they were getting rid of.

Generac Propane units, usually under 1000 hours. Act quickly and I can throw in a 1k gallon propane tank.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    We tried the excess route. If I recall there was a cost involved in getting the surplus equipment. The problem was that you could get a 200K which was a ton of overkill for us, or the little 5kw and 10kw units. Just curious though, someone mentioned small generators (less than 10KW) that were deisel. I can but that for maybe the 10K, bit for a 2K? My next question was why were these things surplus? I believe in some cases they have been replaced by newer and better equipment.

Nothing in life is free. If you get a surplus generator you still have to get it the location, you have to install it, and in many cases will need to buy the transfer switch (which isn't cheap). Then you need to get it wired in, which also cost. We put in a 60KW Onan genrator, runs on propane, with the switch, and installation for about 27K, our costs $1,350. I think you will have a hard time putting in a surplus generator at that cost. Especially if you need to buy the transfer switch. Ours was around $4,000. And this comes with service, support, and a warranty.

If you go thru FEPP (forester) you may have to pay for or arrange shipping. Depends on if you state funds the program. Iowa does not.

DOD is getting rid of ALL of their generators made before the early/mid 90s. 1.) EPA nazis 2.) Decided that many are too loud for the battlefield. Being replaced with units that are all fully enclosed and with lots of sound baffling material.

LOTS of gasoline AC units 2.5kw, 5kw, 10kw (easy winter start but have to think about old fuel problem.

Diesels AC are plentiful. AF has some great 3kw units, we have one. USMC has some 2kw units but I've never looked at one. However most USMC surplus has been "rode hard and put up wet".

Milstd diesel gensets are 5kw, 10kw, 15kw, 30kw, 60kw, 100kw, 200kw 1500kw. 5kw & 10kw are frequently trailer mounted and 120 or 120/208 3ph. Larger units are 3ph selectable for 120/208 240/480

All are very heavy duty units (compared to a Onan LP unit). And you're correct no free lunch. $27k is 10 sets of turn out gear for some dept.

Forum Member

Default Generator

Thanks to NEIOWA and the Karl from the state of Iowa were able to obtain a 10k and a 100K generator. All we have to so is go get it. What a sweet deal using the GSAXCESS site.

Forum Member

Default Firestation Generator 2006

We got a 2006 Fema grant for a generator 50kw, It is on order, could have used it in the ice storm, most the town lost power. we are in Montpelier Iowa, if your other options dont pan out, you can contact me snm102@hughes.net, I can email you a copy of our naritive.

Thread Information