Thread: Severe Weather

Forum Member

Smile Severe Weather

Busy night for some departments, especially for 80FIRE. Had a line of severe/strong storms come blowing into the area around 0230HRS. Very Strong winds, heavy hail and rain. Sheriff dept reports at the time one local highway completely covered in hail. 80FIRE dealt with up rooted power poles and downed power lines, throughout his district. I'm sure he will be on here to fill us in! Now the sun is shining, and strong winds from the south, and there calling for snow this afternoon. The first of many more severe storms I"m sure.

Forum Member

Yes, We had some wind damage here last night! We had everyone on the department out last night for about 7 hours. We had power lines down in three areas with several poles in a row at each place. One line was a transmission line between substations with 7 large poles broken off and hanging in the road. The other two areas were almost a half mile long with one blocking a state highway that was just reopened to full traffic. The utility crews are still working to restore power and the high winds we are getting now are causing more isolated outages. Several roads were blocked by down trees and travel was difficult for several hours. We also had several farm out buildings destroyed and a couple of houses received major damage. Between blocking off roads, surveying damage, and making contact with people in the damaged areas it was quite a busy night. The damage is believed to be from straight line winds and not a tornado. It only lasted a few minutes but that was long enough. I have lived in our house for 16 years and have never felt it shake like it did last night! The best part is that there were no injuries.

Now the wind is blowing 40+ mph and its starting to snow. Days like today makes me glad I am a fireman and NOT a lineman
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

Forum Member

A news article from KHQA in Quincy

Adams County storm damage
    Barn, roofs, roads have residents, crews scrambling

Thursday's windy overnight storm uprooted and relocated Sam Hanson's barn in Adams County.
    By Chad Douglas
    Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 at 1:22 PM

March roared in like a lion in parts of the Tri-States in the overnight hours.

Adams Electric Cooperative says damage was isolated in an area about one mile south of Golden and two miles west of Golden.

There were several power poles down in that area; the same situationw as reported near Fowler.

Power was out to about 600 people, and crews hope to have it all restored by nightfall.

The wind was still whipping hours after the storm rolled through Adams County. And it left behind a pretty big trail of destruction.

"About 3:30 this morning, it started lightening real bad. The wind picked up and the windows started shaking. I heard a bunch of thuds and crashes," said Sam Hanson, an Adams County homeowner.

And when Hanson came outside, he saw his barn in the backyard had been moved about 10 feet off its foundation and it was leaning over. He also had a car and a truck by the barn; the car had been slammed into the truck and the truck had a campershell on it which is now somewhere in the field. Hanson also noticed a shed by his house was destroyed and he noticed something odd with his wood burning stove, which used to set just outside his backdoor.

"It weighs about 600 pounds and it's in the middle of the yard now," said Hanson.

And just down the road, it's more of the same. A roof from a barn is wrapped around a stop sign at one intersection. The person who owns this [damaged] roof wouldn't go on camera but said he heard a lot of strange noises in the middle of the night--things banging against the house--something pretty frightening for 3:30 in the morning.

And in the middle of the night, utility workers woke up to the sound of their telephone calling them into work.

"Fire crews were out here immediately this morning for fire safety measures isolating the area," says Adams County Emergency Management Director John Simon.

A couple of major roads were shut down for awhile this morning while the crews cleaned up splintered poles and downed power lines.

"We know it was a fast moving storm, about 60 miles per hour. It was less than an hour from when it hit western Adams County until it was all the way out," adds Simon.

We also heard reports of a house getting its roof blown off, and a transformer smashing through the passenger side of a truck as it was driving down highway 94 in Golden.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

Les, the weather you guys had sounds a lot like what we went through last July. It was straight line winds, no tornado, and did a tremendous amount of damage for a long distance. Luckily no injuries here in July and hopefully you guys came out as good.
    For the record, we didn't even get any rain at home yesterday. My fancy new tipping bucket wireless rain gauge stayed dry.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Jack
    Your fancy rain gage would have gotten a work out here the other night. No one really knows how much it actually rained here because all the rain gages blew away. My guess is around 2" here with lots of water in the ditches at 2am. I think CIPS and the local COOP have all their poles replaced and power restored but Soyland was still working on replacing the large transmission line poles tonight when I came home.

Thread Information