Thread: The Guardian

MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Guardian

If you have not seen the movie "The Guardian" go out and get it. That's all I am going to say.

http://video.movies.go.com/theguardian/

Forum Member

Hey Red, Your right it is an awesome movie!

Forum Member

Other than making every former rescue swimmer wanna puke, it's a fun movie.
    Kinda like Backdraft is to firemen I guess.

USN AW2/NAC 1984-1990

Forum Member

When I saw "Texas Rangers"with Ashton Kutcher in it,his running around with a "loaded" gun made me hide behind the couch when he was on screen.I hope he had better supervision in this one since he was playing like he was saving lives.

Forum Member

i watched it, and i have to say it was a nice movie
    First in, Last out, nobody left behind.....

Forum Member

Not a bad flick. A bit predictable at the end though.
    ******=================
    ******================
    ******=================
    ******================
    =======================
    =======================
    =======================

------GOD BLESS AMERICA ! ------

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by mitllesmertz1 View Post

USN AW2/NAC 1984-1990
    LOL! I hear what your saying...not from personal experience though. I can appreciate your opinion but I don't think it was THAT cheezy. That was bad, Backdraft that is. At least this honors the men and woman who serve and tries to get a good/positive message across.

My sister's husband is in the Coast Guard. My mother, father and other family members served in the NAVY. Dad was on 3 submarines and two Tenders.
    E-1 to Lt Cmdr.

Forum Member

USN AW2/NAC 1984-1990
    Same with:

S.W.A.T. (and any other cop movie)
    Green Beret (to SF troopers)
    Navy SEALS (to SF troopers)
    Backdraft (to firefighters)
    Men of Honor (to Navy salvage divers)

The list goes on. You go to the movies to be entertained, not educated.

The Guardian was entertaining.
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

MembersZone Subscriber

Exactly SCfire...exactly.
    Last edited by firetruckred; 03-02-2007 at 04:58 PM.

Disillusioned Subscriber

You've gotta look at these movies in the context for which they were made...entertainment. I thought it was pretty good. I saw the storylines of a couple movies rolled into this production though. An Officer and a Gentleman, Top Gun, Backdraft, and Ladder 49 all seemed to have a thumprint in there somewhere.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
    You've gotta look at these movies in the context for which they were made...entertainment. I thought it was pretty good. I saw the storylines of a couple movies rolled into this production though. An Officer and a Gentleman, Top Gun, Backdraft, and Ladder 49 all seemed to have a thumprint in there somewhere.
    LOL. I saw that two. And Kevin Costner isn't exactly the smoothest on delivering lines. He is sincere though. You've gotta give that to him.

You know the movie U571 came to mind. I think that is truly one of the best movies along with Men of Honor. (As far as current military movies) Great acting from great actors.This didn't have that Golden Globe award effect (or whatever those actors receive) but it was good. It told the story, delivered the message and wasn't to caught up in a love story with a bunch of BS. And best of all, it had some good action. I love the song in the end by Brian Adams "Never let Go".

If I was to grade this movie I would give it a B+.
    Last edited by firetruckred; 03-03-2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: said is instead of isn't...makes a big difference

Disillusioned Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firetruckred View Post
    It told the story, delivered the message and wasn't to caught up in a love story with a bunch of BS. And best of all, it had some good action.
    I'm in love!
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

We watched it on duty one night, just couldnt get over the ending. Just too damn cheasy. The whole "you go, we go" thing all over again.
    And the "old man in the sea" bit? please!!!!
    Costner and water just don't mix, anyone remember Waterworld????

MembersZone Subscriber

We watched it on duty one night, just couldnt get over the ending. Just too damn cheasy. The whole "you go, we go" thing all over again.
    And the "old man in the sea" bit? please!!!!
    Costner and water just don't mix, anyone remember Waterworld????
    Remember Dances with Wolves??

Forum Member

I served in the Navy also and the part I just laughed at for being cheesy in the movie is when they went into a NAVY bar. All the sailors were drinking in their work uniforms....Yeah Right

Not realistic or believable at all...when I was in...the LAST place I wanted to have a beer at was with a bunch of other squids. Heck, it was hard enough to get away from crewmembers at a port call, let alone stateside.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

This is a movie that appeals to both young and older woman and to men in general. It appeals to civilians and those who serve. It is a well rounded movie.

It can't be all commentary or brutal honest truth.

(Insert sarcasm here) Civilian to another civilian.
    "Hey Sis let's go rent that commentary tonight that I have been dying to see with those butt ugly sailors performing highly difficult and gruesome tasks"

The movie line sells, most people in the service are going to want to watch it. I enjoyed it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    I served in the Navy also and the part I just laughed at for being cheesy in the movie is when they went into a NAVY bar. All the sailors were drinking in their work uniforms....Yeah Right

Not realistic or believable at all...when I was in...the LAST place I wanted to have a beer at was with a bunch of other squids. Heck, it was hard enough to get away from crewmembers at a port call, let alone stateside.
    I wanted to rewrite my post so I would not offend any good people who serve/served but I am to late. I hope I didn't offend anyone in Fort Lauderdale or in general. You certainly earned your right and way to have fun.
    Last edited by firetruckred; 03-03-2007 at 12:12 PM.

Forum Member

You know what's funny. I attended a Submarine Birthday Ball in Norfolk VA one year. After the event a few of us wanted to have a beer at a local. Some of the guys/gals were totally against going to a bar in uniform. I didn't understand it at the time because I was just a young proud civilian but as I look back now I can see the reasoning clearly. Back then I wasn't sure if it was against regulations or just not a good idea in general.

But then there is Fort Lauderdale where Sailors dock at Port Everglades. They wear their uniforms ( I am referring to the white sailor uniform) out in Fort Lauderdale bars. Not busting any body's chops. Just an observation. I lived there many years.

Not a problem.....I was commenting on the scene with sailors in work uniforms, the blue dungarees and khakis. You don't go out in town with those on. It is (was between 94-99) regulation you only wear a work uniform going to or coming from work, not making stops outside of picking up kids, but never drinking.
    The dress uniform is a different story.....I did my share of going out in it. Sometimes that is the only uniform allowed in a port (majority of the time you wear civilian clothes). However...the girls loved the dress uniform (sorry mitllesmertz) and made some ports...for lack of better word...fun.

Anyway...unless you knew about the regulations and rules, it would be hard to pick up on the cheezy-ness of the scene. Similar stuff with Backdraft...I loved the movie when I first saw it, and now that I understand the fire service...you can get a laugh. (I just wonder how many people think they can break the neck off a fire extinguisher and throw it into a fire?...very realistic there)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Not a problem.....I was commenting on the scene with sailors in work uniforms, the blue dungarees and khakis. You don't go out in town with those on. It is (was between 94-99) regulation you only wear a work uniform going to or coming from work, not making stops outside of picking up kids, but never drinking.
    The dress uniform is a different story.....I did my share of going out in it. Sometimes that is the only uniform allowed in a port (majority of the time you wear civilian clothes). However...the girls loved the dress uniform (sorry mitllesmertz) and made some ports...for lack of better word...fun.

Anyway...unless you knew about the regulations and rules, it would be hard to pick up on the cheezy-ness of the scene. Similar stuff with Backdraft...I loved the movie when I first saw it, and now that I understand the fire service...you can get a laugh. (I just wonder how many people think they can break the neck off a fire extinguisher and throw it into a fire?...very
    realistic there)

LOL. Yeah right, so true about the appeal to the girls. Especially there. Guess since I was military it didn't appeal to me. Kinda like when your a chick at a Fire scene and you think the FF is attactive then after you get involved and understand the job they no longer have that appeal. ( now I am busting chops...lol)

Forum Member

Much of that movie was filmed here in Shreveport, so not only is it a pretty good flick, but it's also cool seeing some of the local sights in tha background.

We have become quite a movie town since Katrina, with over 15 movies being filmed here.

Personally, I see Ladder 49 as the new "firefighter movie".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Much of that movie was filmed here in Shreveport, so not only is it a pretty good flick, but it's also cool seeing some of the local sights in tha background.

We have become quite a movie town since Katrina, with over 15 movies being filmed here.

Personally, I see Ladder 49 as the new "firefighter movie".

Hey LaFire...I've been to your neck of the woods a few times. I have family that lives in Shreveport. I plan on stopping in again there soon, may have to stop by oone of the stations.

You can keep that darn HUMIDITY too...I would hate to fight fires in some of the weather you guys have. On a visit there, my uncles AC went out and had to replace a fan belt in the attic. 10 minutes up there and I looked like I stepped out of the shower....except smellier.

Forum Member

I wanted to rewrite my post so I would not offend any good people who serve/served but I am to late. I hope I didn't offend anyone in Fort Lauderdale or in general. You certainly earned your right and way to have fun.
    Firetruckred...I don't feel you offended anyone.

Not everyone understands the regulations so when something is portrayed wrong in a movie, you pick up on it right away. Its entertainment.
    Although I have been down your way several times for a port call in Port Everglades. Stayed out in town, had some interesting stories...but it was a fun town.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=jccrabby3084;779912]Firetruckred...I don't feel you offended anyone.

Not everyone understands the regulations so when something is portrayed wrong in a movie, you pick up on it right away. Its entertainment.
    Although I have been down your way several times for a port call in Port Everglades. Stayed out in town, had some interesting stories...but it was a fun town.[/QUOTE

Phew. Ok thank you. It seemed like it came out wrong. I try not to question what people do. Not my business. Especially not the military out of respect. FF's and military catch enough grief from the mutts. So on that note, Thank you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah Crabbypaddy... I bet you have some stories!! LOL. I lived there for 17 yrs. Got a few myself. I live up North now thank God. Except for the below zero weather it's great. I hear what your saying about that humidity down there. It's tough.

Ever been at that port of call during the Sea and Air Show?! Now that is awesome!! THE ABSOLUTE BEST!

All Branches of the military performing the tasks they do. Good stuff!

Thread Information