Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default Atlanta/ohio Bus Crash

I caught a bit of this on the TV news this morning while visiting Fort Myer Medical Centre. {Thats Fort Myer, VA}

6 Killed, 29 Injured In Team Bus Wreck
    College Baseball Team Was Florida-Bound

POSTED: 10:31 am EST March 2, 2007
    UPDATED: 10:57 am EST March 2, 2007

ATLANTA -- A charter bus carrying a college baseball team from Ohio plunged off a highway ramp early Friday and slammed into the pavement below, killing six people, injuring 29 and scattering sports equipment across the road, authorities said.

The bus, carrying the team from Mennonite-affiliated Bluffton University, toppled off the Northside Drive bridge onto a pickup truck on Interstate 75 shortly before dawn, police spokesman Joe Cobb said.

"It looked to me like a big slab of concrete falling down," said truck driver Danny Lloyd, 57, of Frostburg, Md. "I didn't recognize it was a bus. I think when I saw the thing coming, I think I closed my eyes and stepped on the gas."

The impact broke his windshield, pushed his truck into the concrete and wrecked the front bumper, but Lloyd wasn't injured.

Nineteen students -- three in critical condition -- were being treated at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta, Dr. Leon Haley said. He said all but two students were awake and talking Friday morning, and doctors were checking them for broken bones.

"All things considered, they are pretty calm," Haley said. "They are very aware of what's going on."

Three other injured people were taken to Piedmont Hospital, and seven were taken to Atlanta Medical Center, Haley said. Officials at the three hospitals said 28 of the 29 were college age, and the age of the other injured person could not immediately be determined.

Piedmont hospital spokeswoman Diana Lewis said the team's coach, James Grandey, 29, was in serious condition and expected to improve.

University spokeswoman Jill Duling confirmed the bus was carrying the school's baseball team but she could not provide further information.

On campus Friday morning, students and residents of the community began filling the seats in the school's basketball gym to grieve together and learn more about what had happened. Some wiped away tears as they came in.

The university, with about 1,150 students 50 miles south of Toledo, cancelled classes for the day. It is affiliated with the Mennonite Church USA.

The baseball team had been scheduled to play its first game of the season in Sarasota, Fla., Saturday against Eastern Mennonite College of Harrisonburg, Va., and it had eight more games scheduled in Fort Myers, Fla.

Cobb said the bus was southbound on I-75 when it crashed about 5:30 a.m. The driver may have mistaken an exit ramp for a lane, he said. It was dark at the time, but the weather was clear.

When the bus went off the bridge and landed on its side in the southbound lanes of the interstate.

Five fire trucks were at the scene as firefighters pulled crash victims through the roof of the bus. Baseball equipment bags littered the scene after the crash, and luggage spilled from the vehicle when it was set right side up.

There was blood on the overpass near where the bus went over.

When the bus was righted, it was clear that all the windows on the driver's side had been shattered, and there was considerable damage on the front of bus and on the roof above the driver's seat.

Calls Friday to the charter company, Executive Coach Luxury Travel Inc., of Ottawa, Ohio, were not immediately returned.

Bluffton University assistant football coach Steve Rogers said he was working out in the weight room with members of the football team around 6 a.m. when they saw news of the bus crash on television. When they saw the markings on the bus, "that's when reality hit everybody," he said.

"Nobody knew what to say or what to feel," he said.

His players started calling friends on the baseball team, trying to reach some by cell phone. "It hits home harder than it would if it had happened at a bigger school. Everybody knows each other," he said.

The worst part is waiting to find out who was injured and who was killed, Rogers said.

"It's going to rock the school for awhile," Katie Barrington said Friday morning at the university bookstore.

At a chapel service the night before, students had offered a prayer for their sports teams and other students to travel safely over spring break, said Barrington, a junior from Brooklyn Heights, Ohio.

"Sometimes you take that stuff for granted," she said.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Speculation this A.M. was that either the driver had dozed off or was confused by the signage or lack thereof.
    Most people can navigate complicated interchanges better with the signs at or near eyelevel than with pavement markings.

The driver had gotten on the bus just an hour before the crash. If you look at satilite pictures of where the crash took place it was accident waiting to happen.

It was a left hand exit from the HOV lane onto an overpass, he stated he thought he was still on the highway when he was really on the exit.

Forum Member

"he stated he thought he was still on the highway when he was really on the exit."

??? The driver, his wife, and 4 students died in this crash.

The scene looked like the driver went right up the ramp and at the last minute realised that it wasn't the highway and tried to turn. Bluffton is a very small school in western Ohio they are gonna be taking this hard.

Unhappy

i guess my source is bad
    i heard it on the radio
    sorry
    Last edited by jacklrd; 03-04-2007 at 01:53 PM. Reason: addition

Forum Member

Iz alright.

In defence of Jack, this was written in the original story, as stated by the Police PIO:

Cobb said the bus was southbound on I-75 when it crashed about 5:30 a.m. The driver may have mistaken an exit ramp for a lane, he said. It was dark at the time, but the weather was clear.
    But no matter how or why, it is still a very tragic event.

----
    Maybe I am buggered in my thinking, but isnt this a bit "off" with the locals thinking to wait to be told to make a traffic signal change? I mean, do we always need Mommy 'n Daddy to tell us to put our boots and rain coats on when its pouring rain out? It has obviously been identified as a problem location, why not just FIX it and be done? Oh. Wait... polititicians are involved, right?

Feds: Wrecks Common At Site Of Bus Crash. Officials Have No Plans To Make Changes

POSTED: 3:29 pm EST March 4, 2007

ATLANTA -- Georgia transportation officials said there are no immediate plans to close or add safety signs to a highway exit ramp in Atlanta where a bus carrying a college baseball team crashed.

A spokesman for the state's Department of Transportation said they want to see federal recommendations before adding any new safety devices such as signs or stoplights to the ramp.

Investigators said the driver apparently mistook an exit ramp for a regular lane, and the bus crashed into a barrier at a T-shaped intersection and plummeted off the overpass onto the highway below.

Four baseball players from Ohio's Bluffton University were killed, along with the bus driver and his wife.

Eight others are still hospitalized, five of them in critical or serious condition. The team was heading to Florida for a spring tournament.

Federal investigators said there have been several crashes at the same Atlanta exit ramp.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the uncommon left-hand exit ramp off Interstate 75 has no visible signs telling drivers to slow down as they approach a dead-end, T-intersection on the overpass.

NTSB lead investigator Kathy Higgins said her team will be trying to figure out exactly why the driver took the exit ramp at full speed. The bus slammed through a concrete barrier back onto the interstate 30 feet below.

Family members of dead and injured students are scheduled to return to Ohio Sunday afternoon on board a charter flight.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press.
    Last edited by MalahatTwo7; 03-05-2007 at 12:53 PM.

Thank you Malahat, but yes, very sad event.

A friend of mine in the FD works with NTSB. We had our bi-monthly training meeting last night and I commented to her about the whole "Wait till Mom 'n Dad tell us" thing.

As she put it, "The NTSB is not a governing body and we don't have regulatory powers. We can only make recommendations."

Why do so many "adults" need someone to hold their hand when they know for a fact that there is a problem and that the solution is actually fairly simple to enact?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Sad, Sad incident feel for the families.

Forum Member

I'm from right outside of Toledo.
    I spoke with one of the parents of one of the players, who was in tht hospital until about the second week of March, last Wednesday. Her son broke his leg. He went back to class last Monday and they still had 1 funeral to go to and that was the last person to pass on. She said 5 of the guys that passed away are in most of his [her son's] classes and that things felt weird without them there. I couldn't imagine, not only being on the bus, but being in the parent's shoes. The mother that I talked with said that they were on their way down already and hadn't even heard about he crash until about 8 am. So they were already in Florida at that point and needed to find a ride or a plane to Atlanta. They evetually made it there later that afternoon.
    The lady I spoke with is an elementary school principle in my school district.
    Firefighter/EMT
    My words stated here do not necessarily point towards organizations which I am affiliated with.

Thread Information