+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 First ... 34567 Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

ff/medic 48 hr work week start at 60,000 plus at Fort Lauderdale fire rescue plus OT
    fyrresq1

Forum Member

Start at $37k, top is $55-ish after 7 years as a fire fighter. I haven't looked at any of the promotional pay scales because to be honest I like the job of fire fighter.

Forum Member

I can only speak for a family member who is a FF/Medic in Florida. He makes $75k.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FireFuss View Post
    Wait what? Are you saying you work at two departments? Or thats the pay at two departments you've worked at, at different times? I'm confused.
    I work at two departments.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber

Both paid, full time? Do you work 48 on 24 off or something? Is it two separate fire departments or one fire one ems? What state are you in?

I'm sorry for all the questions. I've just never heard of a fire department allowing an employee to work at another paid department. Heck, some union depts won't even let you volly on your time off.
    24 on, 48 off. My second is a part time at 8-5 and on my way home so I drive there after my shift is over and work until 5 then finish my drive home. If some one calls in or they need a cover driver then I get there at 7 and work a 24. My main career department gave me **** but that's nothing new. I've never been less than an hour early to get to work nor have I ever called in sick so they really don't have a leg to stand on. My union never really said anything about my volly department either so I haven't had much trouble. Good chances of catching a fire every day of the week. Tripling up on experience is worth the sleepless nights.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Both paid, full time? Do you work 48 on 24 off or something? Is it two separate fire departments or one fire one ems? What state are you in?

I'm sorry for all the questions. I've just never heard of a fire department allowing an employee to work at another paid department. Heck, some union depts won't even let you volly on your time off.
    Working part-time at another department is nothing unusual here especially since most of the departments work a schedule which gives the shift firefighters 6 days off in between 5 shift duty periods.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

MembersZone Subscriber

eh, forget it. I forgot it wasn't fun to argue with little boys.
    Last edited by tajm611; 10-15-2011 at 07:25 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    eh, forget it. I forgot it wasn't fun to argue with little boys.
    It's tempting to forget it but at the end of writing a great/lenghty post I always realize that this is the internet.

Forum Member

Default Pa

Good pay
    Good schedule
    Last edited by FFCG20; 10-25-2011 at 07:38 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFCG20 View Post
    Good pay
    Good schedule
    Great post A+++++++ will read again!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by TL678 View Post
    How many looking at pay cuts?
    Luckily none. We were quite surprised this budget session when we were told that will get a 3% cola raise Jan. 2012. Last one was back Jan 08.

Our city never felt full effect of turn down and still to date has been holding there own. While our growth has been slow it's been steady unlike our sister city who had massive growth and and lots of spending and is now feeling the effects of turn down with large budget cuts in all dept for 2012 and even talks of layoffs in all dept. in 2013.

Forum Member

I work in Toronto, Canada. Just over 3000 Operations Firefighters. The city's comparable in size and pop. to Chicago.

42 hour week working 24 hour shifts.
    First Class firefighter after three years makes 78k Canadian, or about 75k USD.
    Excellent Health and dental benefits for self and dependents.
    6 Vacation days, 6 Lieu days (in Lieu of stat holidays), Sick time pay out at retirement, we pay 50% of pension costs.

zero opportunity for OT in Operations unfortunately.

The pay is very good, but cost of living here is high. Average home price including condominiums is 450k.

Taj I'm amazed you get away with that. Are both IAFF locals? I ask because a guy in Ontario here worked for a Career department and a Composite on the side and was told to quit one, he refused and was fired from both.

Forum Member

There are no firefighter medics in the state of NJ. It is a violation of the law which states that all ALS has to be hospital based.

I wish it would change, but I don't think it will in my time...

I am a Capt in North NJ. My base is in the mid 90's.
    I work part time as a medic and make 21.75 an hour as a per diem.
    Per diems can make up to 35.00 an hour depending on the project you work for.

Forum Member

Default $$$$$$$$

I work for a large fire dept in FL and only make 1,200 a month after ins. thats to feed a family of 5.

MembersZone Subscriber

Firefighter /EMT - 33,245.00
    Firefighter / Paramedic - 35,978.00
    Gauranteed 1% a year for your entire career. Have always gotten been 2% to 4% plus the 1%
    Normally 14 to 17 holidays. 5 vacation for new hire,
    We are an meduim size department in WV ... cost of living is very reasonable here.

Also, was one of the amazed about working at 2 Fire departments. just about all of our career departments are IAFF locals and no one would get away with that around here. Volunteering is not a big deal, but only not allowed at just a few choice locals.

Forum Member

Southeast (City that shall remain anonymous) GA FF/First Responder, 24/48's, we earn around 6 hrs PTO every two wks depending on our years with the city. Our sick time, vacation time and any misc. PTO is out of the same bank, and there is a cap of 240 hrs per year, if you don't use it you lose it.

Entry level Firefighter/First Responders make 30k a year, Lt.'s make 34k a year and Captains only about 40k per year. We get paid crap.

BUT!!! If we did it for the money we would be kidding ourselves.

Oh, and we are about 32-34 line personnel and 3 admin.

Forum Member

My starting base is $36,500 at a Metro ATL dept. 11 paid holidays and 1 kelly day every quarter.

Forum Member

start pay $35500. Busy metro atlanta fire dept. After recruit school, completing emt-i, then straight to EMT-P all provided by the dept (we call it zero to hero!) you will be at $43,500. all school takes roughly about 2 years.
    "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
    .....Leather Head N6A
    Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Forum Member

Just under $9hr or 27k a year as a FF/Basic in the mid south. 69 staff all career, non union. No yearly raises or anything like that.
    Professional Firefighter/EMT-B

Forum Member

I just retired at the end of January, after 35 plus years and I was making 13,048 a month as a Division Chief-2, aka Deputy Chief for a department, inside the beltway in Northern Virginia.
    Last edited by Jonnee; 03-09-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tigg902004 View Post
    I work for a large fire dept in FL and only make 1,200 a month after ins. thats to feed a family of 5.
    huh? a large dept in FL? $1200 after insurance?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Want2BAFF. View Post
    huh? a large dept in FL? $1200 after insurance?

That's roughly $30k a year, not unheard of. Most places are cutting starting pay by 20% so, making 30-35k will probably be the norm for a long time. The days of starting out at 50k a year are over for a long time.
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

I'd certainly expect that from a small dept in FL, but not really a large one. But you would know better than I, so if they're cutting back starting salaries up to 20% in FL, $30k is certainly reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Firemedic 61 View Post
    That's roughly $30k a year, not unheard of. Most places are cutting starting pay by 20% so, making 30-35k will probably be the norm for a long time. The days of starting out at 50k a year are over for a long time.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    I just retired at the end of January, after 35 plus years and I was making 13,048 a month as a Division Chief-2, aka Deputy Chief for a department, outside the beltway in Northern Virginia.
    Congrats on your retirement!
    Just figured out what that was annually... nice!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Just a FF. $83k base. Add ons, and OT $100k-ish.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 First ... 34567 Last

Thread Information