Forum Member

Post Sample Winning Grants

Is there someplace on the internet where I can find winning grant samples? It seems like we are not doing something right. We are looking into putting in for possible a set of jaws, thermal imaging cameras, and spare cylinders for our air packs. If anybody can help me out any possible way, I would appreciate it. If you have a grant that you have been awarded and don't mind emailing the narritive to me, I would also appreciate that. My email is bigfire8@hotmail.com. Thank you.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Check your project design. 3 projects, not 1 focused project.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Oh, and the other part, just looking at winning narratives means you're missing 2/3rds of the solution. The key is in denied apps, i.e. why they were denied. That's easier to find than reasons why apps were funded.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Recent NVFC press releases:

AFG and SAFER Grant Narrative Resource Center

http://www.nvfc.org/news/2007-afg-sa...-released.html

http://www.nvfc.org/news/2007-afg-safer.html
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Banned

This year we are looking for a washing machine for our gear, leather boots, new portable generators and pumps, an alarm system, a biometric entry system and a cascade system.

Secondly, we need to replace our 1981 first out truck with 10,000 miles on it. The age our mileage isn't the problem, the problem is interoperability.

Of course the list above is just a wish list at this time. I can easily tie the washing machine and boots together. We have been able to address all of our other PPE needs through other sources, these are the things that have still not been addressed. An alarm system and biometric entry system can be addressed as a need to secure and protect the building. Small power equipment can be tied together. The cascade system stands on it's own. So as you see, we have 4 potential projects plus a truck.

Another question on the truck if you will. We have a fund set aside with nearly $80,000 in it. Would it be better to ask for the remaining funds are the whole amount. We are looking at a class A pumper/tanker for around $250,000. Side note, some think we can the truck for around $200,000. Which is nice, but they always seem to forget all of the other stuff that needs to go on the truck.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bigfire8 View Post
    Is there someplace on the internet where I can find winning grant samples? It seems like we are not doing something right. We are looking into putting in for possible a set of jaws, thermal imaging cameras, and spare cylinders for our air packs. If anybody can help me out any possible way, I would appreciate it. If you have a grant that you have been awarded and don't mind emailing the narritive to me, I would also appreciate that. My email is bigfire8@hotmail.com. Thank you.
    Bigfire....look at CEDAP for jaws....easy narratvie and no matching funds. Whole set up of AMKUS stuff.

Also, from the 2006 Program Guidance

Each SCBA request will be limited to one spare cylinder unless the applicant can adequately justify more than one spare per unit.
    So if you truly need spare cylinders then make sure you're not asking for more than one spare for each pack you have on the rigs. I don't know if spare cylinders and TIC go together well though. Think complete projects.

TIC's are doable for AFG...push it as firefighter safety....is there anything else you need under FF safety you could tie in with it? Have you guys done an informal risk assessment yet?

Bottom line...contact Kurt...but don't delay....time is already against you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the alarm and entry system will be pretty tough. They do not enhance your capabilty to perform to NFPA standards, nor do they help you to put out fire.

The others looked like good projects.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    This year we are looking for a washing machine for our gear, leather boots, new portable generators and pumps, an alarm system, a biometric entry system and a cascade system.

Secondly, we need to replace our 1981 first out truck with 10,000 miles on it. The age our mileage isn't the problem, the problem is interoperability.

Of course the list above is just a wish list at this time. I can easily tie the washing machine and boots together. We have been able to address all of our other PPE needs through other sources, these are the things that have still not been addressed. An alarm system and biometric entry system can be addressed as a need to secure and protect the building. Small power equipment can be tied together. The cascade system stands on it's own. So as you see, we have 4 potential projects plus a truck.

Another question on the truck if you will. We have a fund set aside with nearly $80,000 in it. Would it be better to ask for the remaining funds are the whole amount. We are looking at a class A pumper/tanker for around $250,000. Side note, some think we can the truck for around $200,000. Which is nice, but they always seem to forget all of the other stuff that needs to go on the truck.
    HT,

Check out www.govliquidation.com for some of your portable electrical issues. Look at some of the items available on that site and see if there are any generators available. If you're not familiar with the site and how it works then go read this article. http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/fu...er04_11_19.asp

How much $$ you need for an alarm system? Might check with Wal-mart and see what they can do for you.

As for the truck....gonna steal some words from Kurt here....do you like buying things that are 30-50% off? Absolutely...so if AFG can fund a $250,000 truck and only have to pay $170,000 for it well then they just got 32% off and it makes a better arguement for you in your cost benefit. Just have to make sure that you're meeting the highest proirities of the program with your vehicle narrative.

MembersZone Subscriber

Or you can look at the thread about the generacs, at

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=88411

MembersZone Subscriber

You can also buy surplus direct from the government without the broker, by going to gsaauctions.gov

MembersZone Subscriber

My wife put the parental lock-out on govliquidation.com. She's a very tolerant person, but if i go to "that" website again, it could cause huge trouble at home.

earl (it's a long story, but hilarious--just make up your own!!)

Forum Member

Too funny Earl!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    My wife put the parental lock-out on govliquidation.com. She's a very tolerant person, but if i go to "that" website again, it could cause huge trouble at home.

earl (it's a long story, but hilarious--just make up your own!!)
    CAUTION: The Surgeon General has warned that Gov.Liquidation.com can be addictive!LOL!
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Let's see--i spent $50 buying what the DOD originally paid $54,000 for. Took a day off work, left at 2 am for a 500 mile round trip, salvaged 10 casters (nice ones, with 2" wheels!!) and only did $1,500 damage to my truck. No live animals (or humans) were injured while a 400 pound piece of equipment spun in front of traffic on US 30, so i have that going for me!!

I was not able to assemble a viable cost-benefit statement from that adventure without factoring in the value of the education on the strength of bungee cords. Even then, if Sue didn't have a sense of humor--i'd have been sunk!! Oh well....

earl

Forum Member

Yeah, but surely Sue could appreciate the motto "If at first you don't succeed...try try again" right?? I mean...what would have happened if you would have just given up after each failure? There's an argument to be made there...although after $1500 in damage to the truck I think I might just concede the point as well. That's hilarious!

MembersZone Subscriber

Ryan, trying that again would rank right up there with mounting an infant seat on a motorcycle with her!! She's a peach, but she has some definite limits!!

earl (ducking to avoid the peach pit!!)

Forum Member

Haha 10-4!

If you need some help though, I'm willing to be your supplier....no parental controls here...and of course when you do find that gem that you can't live without...I'm game for a black op.....hmmm maybe you should apply for some nightvision stuff through CEDAP this year though if we're doing black ops.

RED TEAM GO!! RED TEAM GO!!!!

Over and out

Ryan (code name: haulin baby)

Thread Information