Forum Member

Question Mystery FDNY Rigs

Hello folks,

The "Special Units" section of Mr. Michael Martinelli's www.fdnytrucks.com has long been one of my favorite spots on the Internet. But there are a few trucks here whose purposes simply escape me. I'm wondering if any of the FDNY-affiliated folks around here could help me out.

Most of these trucks can be found here:
    http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html...lunits/soc.htm

My first question regards the fourth truck down, the 2000 GMC/Reading "Special Operations Support Unit." Does anyone know precisely what "support" it provides? The same goes for the next truck, the "Special Operations Command Logistics Support" unit. The only thing I've heard about this unit is that it responds on 10-60 Major Emergency Responses, but it'd be nice to know why.
    Any information on the 1999 E-One "Utility Support Unit" with the flag and eagle on the hood would be appreciated as well.
    Lastly, I'd like to ask about the Technical Response Vehicle stationed with Squad 1 in Brooklyn. Can anyone describe its duties?

And one last unrelated question: How many mobile command centers does the FDNY maintain and when are they used? Fire accounts posted on http://new-york-city-fires.blogspot.com show the "Field Communications Unit" taking care of everything, even at fires of 4 or 5 alarms, which may or may not be the same thing as a true command post.

Sorry to ask so much at one time, but not being able to figure things out bugs me.

Thanks much for any answers,
    Mike G

Forum Member

Thumbs down quite to the contrary

Quote Originally Posted by allineedisu View Post
    You have answered most of this all by your self.

That name you picked out = Pyroechidna1 = doesn't sound too good. Are you an arsonist???

Most firefighters already know the answer before they post a question like you have, as they want others to think that they are smart by asking such questions! :-(

Maybe a whacker.....................
    I myself am puzzled by that page as am I regarding much of the fdny. There is not really very many places to go with questions and I don't live in nyc nor do I know an nyc ff. I have many more questions and thought to post them here but I did not because I feared such a response. That's the problem here, people ask questions and other people flame them for something else. What purpose does this serve?

Also, are you aware of what an echidna actually is? If you are not... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echidna

And if I may add, does anyone know what exactly a rebreather unit is and what is squad company 800's function?

thanks in advance.

Forum Member

Default Apparatus

Squad 800 is a spare/reserve Squad as far as I know

Forum Member

Default thanks

It caught my eye because the stats listed a manufacturer as texron. I have no idea what that is.

Forum Member

Default Squad 800

Textron is the company that did the modifications and refurbishment to get her ready for a squad.

Forum Member

Default ahh...

It's textron not texron. That's why my search failed. Didn't known they did fire fighting, I thought they did military vehicles and lifeboats.

Forum Member

No, help on the trucks.
    But someone asked what a rebreather is.
    The short of it is this. An extended use SCBA. It takes the air you exhale and puts it thru a "scrubber". There are different mediums out there that clean it to remove the carbon dioxide buildup. There is also a small o2 tank that injects an amount into the supply you are breathing. There is also a canister that cools the air, due to the fact that you are exhaling warm air and the scrubbing process adds some heat as well. They are used primarily for haz-mat. They may be used for fire service only in an enviroment with little heat, such as if you were to man a hoseline on an exterior operation that may be filled with smoke. They are not rated for a high heat atmosphere due to the fact that you are carrying an o2 tank with you. I also would not recomend them for confined space due to the fact they are a bit larger than a standard SCBA and due to the dual hose (air in- air out) set-up it would be very difficult to go reduced profile if you had to. You don't see them used a lot because it is a bit time consuming to clean them after usage. You can get roughly 4 hours out of most of the units I have seen. Although I have heard rumor of units that can last longer.

Forum Member

Default It's Texron not Textron

The body fabrication and modifications for reserve Squad 800 was performed by "TEXRON" Commercial Auto Body Works located in the South Bronx... I believe they are FDNY's contracted collision and fabrication work vendor. This vendor does a lot of collision work for Fire Departments in Westchester too.

Forum Member

Exclamation Chill out

Hey, AllIneedisu, cool off for a second man. If I knew any of the answers to those admittedly specific questions, I wouldn't be asking them here. I just want to know the answers for the sake of my own imagination.

As for my screen name, Nate was so kind as to point out that it simply implies an echidna on fire, no offense to the animal-rights activists here. Think of it like a superhero.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by allineedisu View Post
    You have answered most of this all by your self.

That name you picked out = Pyroechidna1 = doesn't sound too good. Are you an arsonist???

Most firefighters already know the answer before they post a question like you have, as they want others to think that they are smart by asking such questions! :-(

Maybe a whacker.....................
    Geez relax a little it wasnt like he was asking for nuclear codes or anything.

Forum Member

Exclamation

I am not sure where you should look to find this information, but when you do find out, come back and post it so we all we know.

Too many folks get their feathers rustled in the forms. Back when I came on here, it was more civilized and very few folks got the others worked up as every ones seems to do now days. I know a few get ****ed at others but I guess that is the way things are these days. Plus the web moderators would step in and put a quick stop to it.

Some of the responses back to the posters are short and fiery so they take it to heart to quickly. I am guessing that some get tired of seeing the same post or subject matter reappearing over and over again. If folks would do a search on what they would like to know, I am sure they will find previous forums on that subject.

Just my thoughts on this.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Default I did Search...

...or at least tried too. Sometimes it just comes up with a blank screen. Anyway, it did answer several of my questions, so I did not ask them here. Yah, I can only wish I knew someone.

For now, I have but one more question: TACs and TSUs. What do they do exactly and do they both still exist? I've seen some webshots of both but am unsure of dates...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by skipatrol8 View Post
    ...or at least tried too. Sometimes it just comes up with a blank screen. Anyway, it did answer several of my questions, so I did not ask them here. Yah, I can only wish I knew someone.

For now, I have but one more question: TACs and TSUs. What do they do exactly and do they both still exist? I've seen some webshots of both but am unsure of dates...
    They provide lighting and more toys for the Rescues to use on scene.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up more info

James S. Griffiths published the FDNY- an Operational Reference. It answers a lot of your questions.

Forum Member

Default Thanks

So there is no difference between TSUs and TACs except their age? They are pictured with different boats (TACs have a moonppol equppied zumro, and TSUs look to have an Avon type boat), but that may be conincedence.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks a million Meteoman. I'll check that out.

Thread Information