Thread: grants

MembersZone Subscriber

Default grants

Why is it that I see some of the same departments getting grants year after year? We have turnout gear that is more then 15 years old and scba that we can not get new parts for and have yet to get a grant to replace this worn out and out dated equipment. I just read a post that a department got new turnout gear in 2003 and it does not meet nfpa standards anymore. We apply every year. I am not crying above this but it is getting old seeing the same people getting the grants. MAYBE this year!
    SORRY just venting.

MembersZone Subscriber

If you have neighboring dept's or know of anyone that have received grants, maybe it would not be a bad idea to see how they are written up. Many of these grants are open ended when specing out equip. Meaning that if you want new gear you can't just write a grant to get, for example, Globe turnouts. It probably needs to be wriitten to just ask for new gear and have details and facts regarding your older gear. Depts of all sizes and budgets are getting the grants and a lot has to do with how well they are written up.

MembersZone Subscriber

The key to grants are they have to be written a certain way. If you master this you will be getting grants left and right.

We sent a guy to a school for writing grants and we have received our share over the past couple of years now.

If they are not written in the format they want, it gets tossed.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rothschildfire View Post
    Why is it that I see some of the same departments getting grants year after year? We have turnout gear that is more then 15 years old and scba that we can not get new parts for and have yet to get a grant to replace this worn out and out dated equipment. I just read a post that a department got new turnout gear in 2003 and it does not meet nfpa standards anymore. We apply every year. I am not crying above this but it is getting old seeing the same people getting the grants. MAYBE this year!
    SORRY just venting.
    Don't vent, fix it.

Do you have your narratives? Send them to me. Sometimes an objective
    set of eyes can help.

When have you been turned down? What did the turn down email say?

Now, insofar as NFPA, just because there is a new standard, does NOT make the old gear non-compliant! It is still compliant, as long as it is servicable.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Banned

First thing. Perform a risk assesment. Determine your most criticial needs.
    Next, attack each one as a single project. Don't go in with a laundry list.
    After that. You need to articualate and SELL your project. You can't go in wiht the idea that I need it and therefore they will give it to me. While not a requirement, make sure it is grammatically correct, make sure it makes sense, and make sure it flows well.
    I have written several succsesful grant applications. I have also been to many a fire house that had more pressing needs, but were not funded. You really need to think like a pan handler on the street. After all, you are asking for a handout.
    You may want to consider attending a grant writing class ar your local college.
    Hope this helps

Forum Member

Do your homework. Read the Program Guidance, twice, no, 3 times. Understand it. Read other narratives, both winners and losers.

I have never attended a workshop or training of any sort, and had never written a grant prior to AFG. I am 3 for 4, and the one that failed was because the previous project was open.

Am I that good? No. But I learned the system and learned what they wanted in the grants. Do the same and you'll be successful.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down Well............

Just for the fun of it, I have a question: Why didn't you post this over in the "Grants" Forum???

We submitted a grant proposal for three years in a row to FEMA. Waste of time for us, so we're discussing alternatives with our U.S.Senator's office.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information