Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Globe G-Extreme users

We are getting new Globe G-Extreme PBI Matrix turnouts. Department members are questioning the zipper in the coat. We have always hooks on other turnouts. Rep says the zipper has been working out very well. Any comments from guys/gals that are using them?

Thanks!

my coat on my side job has a zipper. Zippers suck.

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

Personally I like the zippers much better. We previously had the snaps with the hooks and I never did the inside buttons. I always thought it took too much time and I think the zipper is much easier.

MembersZone Subscriber ftfdverbenec770's Avatar

the zipper is just something to get used too. it takes no time at all to get all zipped up. The gear itself is the best stuff ive ever worn. youll love it the first time you put it on.
    Your a daisy if you do.

Forum Member

The only problem I've heard of is the zipper iceing up in the winter, then you have to wait to thaw it out before you can unzip.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

I've been using zippers on various manufacturer's gear for many years now, and would not go back to a snap / buckle system for anything. We've been using zippers on our Securitex at work for 6 years and have no plans of switching, and the zippers on the G-Xtreme we purchased at the VFD 18 months ago has been holding up extremely well.

MembersZone Subscriber firefighterbeau's Avatar

The 3 different brands of gear I have used have always had zippers. Never have had any problems.

Forum Member

We have hooks here in NY. I asked the Morning Pride Rep and he said it was due to the the fact that zippers break open during the overhaul stage. I had a coat that had a breakaway zipper on it, I prefer the hooks.

Forum Member

you guys are kidding right? frozen zippers? give me a break.....zippers are the only way to go, i have had zippered bunker coats for about 5 years now and have had a total of ZERO problems!!! once you go zippers you'll never go back.............

MembersZone Subscriber

OK, I've got to ask. How do your zippers freeze if the storm flap's shut? Or is the storm flap shut?

We're looking at changing from the Velcro inner, hook-and-dee outer to zippers/velcro. I'm curious to see the opinions myself.

Forum Member

we have globe g xtreme, zipper with velcro flap and drag rescue device, THE BEST available in the world,,,,i'm not a dealer just a user...i have 100's of structures and 1000's of MVA's under my belt, buy GLOBE.........

MembersZone Subscriber

Have used both Morning Pride and Globe both with the zipper/velcro for years and have had no problems. They have worked great for the last 10 years or so.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by steelman View Post
    we have globe g xtreme, zipper with velcro flap and drag rescue device, THE BEST available in the world,,,,i'm not a dealer just a user...i have 100's of structures and 1000's of MVA's under my belt, buy GLOBE.........
    What department are you on?
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    What department are you on?
    Kentland maybe?

P.S. I have used zippers aluminumman, they suck, and i will never go back.
    Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Quote Originally Posted by toddman View Post
    Rep says the zipper has been working out very well. Any comments from guys/gals that are using them?
    Snap hooks are for raincoats.

We've used zippered Globe bunker gear for (close to 20?) years without any problems. Personally I've always preferred it that way over the old snap hooks.

FWIW, some of the full pockets equipment junkie guys have had a single snap hook sewn on their coats opposite the radio pocket for hanging a personal flashlight. Lately it's part of the standard spec for new gear. Maybe that's what your guys anticipate missing?
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our fire dept uses the same stuff as FDNY and has recently started fazing out with the G Extreme. Every one loves the new G Exstreme. Most people don't complain about the zipper its that plastic buckle there worried about. I've used both hooks and zippers I preffer a zipper cause its much faster. But everyone like something different.

MembersZone Subscriber F52Westside's Avatar

Have had Globe for about 10 years and just received my first set of the G-Extreme. Ours has the snap clips with no problems so far.
    Like Mike, I am wondering how long before I break that plastic clip and also how long the suspender connections will last?
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Zippers Rule

We just purchased new Veridian bunker gear with the zippers and velcro outer. We recently battled a structure fire in 6 degree weather with everyone walking around covered in ice. Zippers did not freeze and barely got wet with the flaps closed. All the other dept's had buckles and they were coated in ice.

I have a bunch of Globe stuff from '99 we put on our new recruits, many coats have zippers. I'm the guy that gets gear fixed and cleaned, so I would know if we'd had issues. There's some newer Securitex stuff in there with zippers too, and that part of the Securitex gear has held up better than the rest of it...

We've gone away from zippers, and honestly - I don't know why. I think we took an informal vote, and just ordered the same style across the board the last few times.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

My District has used zippers in our gear for years, mostly Globe but some Morning Pride, with no issues at all. All have had velcro secured flaps over them. The knees, cuffs and velcro go long before the zippers do. I prefer them over the clasp/snap closures mainly due to speed - I always found it much easier and faster to zip.

Thread Information