MembersZone Subscriber

Default Characterization/Clowning

Our dept is starting a clowning program for teaching injury prevention/safety/ and FP. I have gotten some awesome help from networking. PLease share your tips, tricks, do's, dont's, skits anything. Please email to Bweil@nocfa.com aka:Mayday

Does anyone have funded grants for their program that they are willing to share, doesnt have to be a FEMA one, maybe foundation etc so I can get an idea how it was worded.

Forum Member

Default Have you seen these guys?

Tulsa FD in OK has been doing this for some time now here is a web site to visit. maby you can give them a call.
    http://www.tfdclowns.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Clowning and Characterzation is an AWESOME way to teach fire and injury prevention. It really grabs the attention of your audience and when they are listening they are more likely to remember what they learned.

We are just a year into a program here and it is a little slow at first, but it is starting to really bloom and is going to be a successful program. Email me at hvfd33@yahoo.com and I will tell you a little about what we do and the roadblocks we have encountered so maybe you can prevent running into the same thing.

Forum Member

Keep in mind, not everyone likes clowns. My daughter has been petrified of them since she was a little girl and they still,as she puts it,"give me the creeps."

I have from,her experiences,gathered a great dislike for clowns myself. Many of those who don the face paint and big shoes don't seem to want to back off when told a child doesn't want to interact with them and push the issue.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Yes, some children are really scared of clowns and there is some level of training that needs to be involved in using clowns/characterzation type programs. For the most part-the programs are generally held on a stage with mostly no contact with the clowns except for the volunteers that come up and assist. It works well even for the ones that are scared because they are not up close and personal with them. The programs are high energy themed programs that involve music (safety songs) dancing and always several fire/injury prevention messages. It doesn't have to include just clowns-we do characters to (ie Blues Clues Characters for pre-schoolers)

Where you do get in to trouble is if you do a community event when you are in the crowd with the kids. You need to know and recognize the children that are scared and back off. This is where some training comes in. We NEVER want to scare a child EVER and I do everything in my power to make sure a positive learning experience comes from each performance.

We always pick a theme that is popular and familiar with the kids and change it to fit into fire/injury prevention.

It has been a huge success here, but you've got to make sure you have the right people for the job.

Forum Member

Ncfscd6, Thank you for your thoughtfullness. Unfortunately there are quite a few "clowns" who don't subscribe to your standards. (or maybe they just all seem to come my daughter's way ).

Thread Information