MembersZone Subscriber

Default Officer's Duties

First off I did a search and came up with nothing.

I am the Chief in a small Volunteer Department (approx 15-20) We currently have 2 Asst. Chief's who rarely show up except on structure fires which is ok, They helped start the Dept. 25 years ago, We have only 1 Capt., had 4 but have lost over time and not replaced. I am looking at making 2 Capt. slots and 2 Lt. slots but am wanting to put some requirements and duties in writing first so everyone knows what is expected of them. Once again small dept 1-Station, 1-Engine,1-Rescue,1-Brush Truck,2-Tankers, approx 25 sq miles of area and 2,500 population. Any help appriciated.
    ______________________________ ____________
    Chris E. Gaines
    CGaines78@Yahoo.Com
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    "When a man becomes a fireman his greatest act of bravery has been accomplished. What he does after that is all in the line of duty."
    ~Edward F. Croker
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, that gives that protestor the freedom to burn the flag." --Father O'Brien, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by cgaines78 View Post

I am the Chief in a small Volunteer Department (approx 15-20) We currently have 2 Asst. Chief's who rarely show up except on structure fires which is ok,

They helped start the Dept. 25 years ago, We have only 1 Capt., had 4 but have lost over time and not replaced. I am looking at making 2 Capt. slots and 2 Lt. slots but am wanting to put some requirements and duties in writing first so everyone knows what is expected of them. Once again small dept 1-Station, 1-Engine,1-Rescue,1-Brush Truck,2-Tankers, approx 25 sq miles of area and 2,500 population. Any help appriciated.
    Having 2 Asst. Chiefs that don't show up is NOT OK in my book. I think you should have a Chief, 1 Asst. Chief, 1 Capt. and 1 LT. Can you explain better what it is exactly you're looking for? I might come off a bit harsh ,but you want to set some requirements and duties for your dept and you allready have 2 line officers that only show up when they feel like it. For starters I'd say hey, this and this needs to be done and explain that other members do look up to these guys and do see whats going on. The fact that they don't show up, and that you're OK with that will make the other members think it's ok not to show up as well. See where I'm sort of going here? I think you need to get your officers on the same page before you try to implement some what sounds like much needed changes. Good Luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Give the ACs new titles. How about "Founding Chief"? It might kick them into showing up, or retiring, but either way it will set them apart from what will eventually be your hoped-for model officer corp.

I agree with the previous post... having too many equal rank-officers in a small department can get problematic. Better to have stepped ranks.

I don't envy your situation. Good luck.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

I tend to agree with the other guys, and went through a similar ordeal when I took over on my department. I ended up totally changing the format. We've got a chief, a deputy chief (administrative type position), two assistant chiefs (one handles fire operations, the other "special" operations, like EMS, rescue, haz-mat), and right now two captains, future of possibly 4 or more if we keep growing, one under each category of "Fire" and "special" operations.

The deputy chief is a local business owner, and very good at handling personnel issues (which I'm the first to admit, I'm not) and has the Midas touch when it comes to finding money and getting deals on trucks and equipment.

Both of the assistant chiefs had issues with responding. One was the assitant (only had chief and asst. chief) before I reorganized. When I changed things around, I took away the admin stuff he wasn't good at, and added more operational responsibilities (identifying equipment we need, pricing, identifying training, etc.). His attendance and performance have both improved. The other guy was the same way, although it was a new position for him.

Captains basically are assigned to maintain equipment and trucks, as well as being fire-ground supervisors. The ones I appointed have also seems to have a moral boost.

Not a system that works for everyone (we're a 20-man department), but it's working for us and has taken a lot of the burden off of me. At the same time I reorganized, I also wrote job descriptions that included training requirements for the position. I'd be happy to email them if you like, just drop me a PM or email.

Forum Member

I am the Chief in a small Volunteer Department (approx 15-20) We currently have 2 Asst. Chief's who rarely show up except on structure fires which is ok, They helped start the Dept. 25 years ago, We have only 1 Capt., had 4 but have lost over time and not replaced. I am looking at making 2 Capt. slots and 2 Lt. slots but am wanting to put some requirements and duties in writing first so everyone knows what is expected of them. Once again small dept 1-Station, 1-Engine,1-Rescue,1-Brush Truck,2-Tankers, approx 25 sq miles of area and 2,500 population. Any help appriciated.
    I am a Chief also. My dept is about the same size as yours. My email address is devolachief@suddenlinkmail.com. I can give you some info or answer any questions you have. Maybe you can help me some too.
    J.J. Bichard, Chief
    Devola Vol. Fire Co.
    Marietta, Ohio

"A few, serving many"

Forum Member

I have 2 Asst. Chiefs. One is over fire and the other is over EMS. Both are elected positions so it is harder for the chief to really do any thing about them disciplinary wise. I have 2 Capts. supposed to have 3. Also 2 Lt.s when supposed to have 3. There is just no one qualified yet in my dept. I am 36 and one of the oldest members. Only 3 people older. The rest of the members have less than 5 years experience.
    J.J. Bichard, Chief
    Devola Vol. Fire Co.
    Marietta, Ohio

"A few, serving many"

Forum Member

I have been working on job descriptions for our department and found the following on a google search:

http://www.firecenter.mnscu.edu/Hand...dbookIndex.htm

I thought is was a pretty good start to then modify to our needs. The basic format is there.

Forum Member

Default Reference job desriptions

Tough spot Chief! We just went through a complete changeover ourselves. We adopted the mindset, if we did not have qualified personnel for the position it remained unfilled. There are several consulting firms out there for just this situation. In fact some even offer very reasonable rates. I can steer you to a good one if you are interested.

Forum Member

Why do you need so many officers for such a small FD???

If you have 20 people and 7 officers (Chief, ***. Chief x2, Capt. x2, and Lt. x2), that leaves you with 12 Firefighters.

Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians if you ask me.........
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Border Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by firenresq77 View Post
    Why do you need so many officers for such a small FD???

If you have 20 people and 7 officers (Chief, ***. Chief x2, Capt. x2, and Lt. x2), that leaves you with 12 Firefighters.

Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians if you ask me.........
    Ummm...I am a TPS graduate but wouldn't that be 13 Firefighters? 20-7=13

How about an authorized at 42 member department (but generally only has about 25-30 members at any given time) with 1 Chief, 3 Asst. Chiefs and 6 Captains?
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Capt790 View Post
    Ummm...I am a TPS graduate but wouldn't that be 13 Firefighters? 20-7=13

How about an authorized at 42 member department (but generally only has about 25-30 members at any given time) with 1 Chief, 3 Asst. Chiefs and 6 Captains?
    Sorry, Moe. Maff is knot meye best subjekt.......
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

Default Too many ossifurs

We have a chief, deputy chief, fire captain, rescue (EMS) captain, fire lt., rescue lt. That is plenty. And we have more total staff than you do.

MembersZone Subscriber

First off Thanks for all the replys and great info.

First off for my Asst. Chiefs they are both board members (one is Pres.) and founding members, One is Asst. Chief of a Paid Dept and has 25+ years service & Training, I may have been a little off out of our avg of 120-140 call per year I would say they respond to approx 30-40% of them.

As fo needing so many officers, I agree I have been running with what I firs tmentioned for the last 2 years but some of my younger guys are wanting some officers in place when the curent ones don't make it to a call, they want someone with a title to look up to and I agree they need one just wanting to do it properly and not give a title just to have a title.

I will get more info soon, Thanks Again.

--Chris
    ______________________________ ____________
    Chris E. Gaines
    CGaines78@Yahoo.Com
    "When a man becomes a fireman his greatest act of bravery has been accomplished. What he does after that is all in the line of duty."
    ~Edward F. Croker
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, that gives that protestor the freedom to burn the flag." --Father O'Brien, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

As fo needing so many officers, I agree I have been running with what I firs tmentioned for the last 2 years but some of my younger guys are wanting some officers in place when the curent ones don't make it to a call, they want someone with a title to look up to and I agree they need one just wanting to do it properly and not give a title just to have a title.

I will get more info soon, Thanks Again.

--Chris
    What about having a senior ff being in charge in the absence of the officers?

Thread Information