Thread: When to apply!

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile When to apply!

I am currently serving in the Navy. Once my time is up however I want to go back to work with a fire department. I currently have 4 years remaining out of a 6 year contract. I was wondering when I should start applying to places. I know that I have one more deployment coming up in April of 08' upon completion of that I will have about 12-18 months left under contract. COuld anyone give me some help with this question? THanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

It depends on:
    Where do you want to work
    When are they testing
    How often do they test
    Can you make the written\oral\agility\medical test dates while you are still in the service?

It can take 1 to 2 years of testing to get on an FD, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Now is the time to research where you want to work. Contact those FD's or the city human resource departments and find out when they are testing and the qualifications needed for the test.

Best of luck and thanks for serving our country.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 03-04-2007 at 07:05 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know the city of Columbia, SC does a hiring almost on a yearly basis. That is one of my prime prospects. However I am not sure how other departments work it.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know i have seen on several Department websites that if you are in the Military and wanting to test you must be within 60 days of you EAOS in order to apply.
    Any commander who fails to exceed his authority is not of much use to his subordinates. - Arleigh Burke

Permanently Removed

I was not in the military, but looking back on my life's experience, I would simple wait to the end of your military career and make sure you know where you want to work and live first.

Applying for a fire job far before youre availbile to come to work might be a waste of time for both you and your future employeer.

Lastly- Thanks for serving our country.

Forum Member

I know for FDNY if you take the test and pass they will hold your spot. I don't know for how long and I don't know what other depts have a similar policy. I believe it is civil service law so I would check with the civil service commission in whatever area you want to work.

Also, I would disagree with waiting to test. In a big city it can take years to get hired. You will be better served testing now and waiting while you do your service then getting out and scrounging for a job then.

Good luck whatever you decide and stay safe.

PK

Forum Member

Default you can look

I was in the Navy while I was looking for Departments to work for. I was based in Long Beach and landed a position with Naval Fire on base. It was a federal job but it got me experience. Then while I was working there I was taking any and every test there was. It took awhile but I was hired by the City of Long Beach and never looked back. So to answer your question , while your in take the classes needed for Firefighter on-line and start looking when you have a year left and who knows...I was able to get an early-out to attend college and take tests.
    Good luck and stay safe!!
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley, Retired Fire
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

I was in your same shoes not so long ago. I was Navy (Damage Control) knew I wanted to be a FF before even joining. I thought I could get out and get on a dept....truly not the case at all...education is the key.

If you have four years to go you can really make a dent in the education by taking whatever college courses offered on ship. Also look into Navy Campus on base, take Dantes and Clep tests...that can also get you college credit. If you already have a degree now, that will help to. If not get the education. I would look NOW into schools that you would like to attend because some have a waiting list for some programs and Fire Protection is usually one of them. Take a look at what they offer and what type of classes are needed. Typically you can get the generals out of the way while in the Navy. Also, as posted above, get a degree online if you can.

Once you get out, you can go to school, get a Fire science degree or better and that will really help with your resume. Some depts only have basic requirements, 18, high school diploma or GED, and drivers license. These tend to be bigger cities and have a lot of competition. Do you really want to limit your options to those requirements? Education will only help you and you can look for jobs all over.
    Last edited by jccrabby3084; 03-05-2007 at 11:24 AM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfirefighter12 View Post
    I am currently serving in the Navy. Once my time is up however I want to go back to work with a fire department. I currently have 4 years remaining out of a 6 year contract. I was wondering when I should start applying to places. I know that I have one more deployment coming up in April of 08' upon completion of that I will have about 12-18 months left under contract. COuld anyone give me some help with this question? THanks.
    You really have to look at the individual departments that you might want to join. Each has their own policy on this. While you still have the great military Tuition Assistance at your disposal, start taking as many classes as you can. See if you can get as high up the EMT ladder as possible to start out with, then get as many general ed classes out of the way that you can. Many departments have a minimum credit hour requirement, if not to join, then for promotions. Get your education while it is easy and cheap to do! Good luck, and stay safe, Semper Fi!
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Thread Information