Permanently Removed

Default Streamlight Survivor- Convert to LED?

Anyone convert a Streamlight Survivor standard xenon bulb to a LED bulb yet?

If so, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks, Bou

Forum Member

I emailed them, and they said it was not possible, unless someone aftermarket creates it. They said they also were not working on it. Its the usual come out with something better force everyone to buy new.

Forum Member

Just buy a new one ya cheap bast@rd!
    IAFF

Forum Member

Just curious why you would want to? What I've seen on most of the LED's is that they are bright but don't cut thru smoke or fog like the xenon bulb does. The local Sheriff Department has lightbars with LED's and have notice the visiblity distance is greatly reduced in foggy conditions compaired to their old lightbars. Let me know if you know anything different.

Permanently Removed

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Just buy a new one ya cheap bast@rd!

LOL- I was asking because most of the Survivor's batteries in my department are not holding a charge. I was looking for an alternative to scrapping a good light and all of the chargers, etc.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Forum Member

well the batteries and the chargers are the same as the old ones... and the LED ones come with a AA adapter... the batteries aren't really that much $$ if the lights are still good

Forum Member

yeah, you could just buy new batteries.....
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Forum Member

I purchased the LED with alkaline batteries for $58 delivered from the Fire Store. Have used it on several fires and IMO is much better than the xenon bulb survivors, much brighter light and doesn't go dim like the xenon bulb type. As for penetration through smoke I think the LED is much better because it's so much brighter and has a nice concentrated beam. The LED also has a flashing mode that can be used for a distress signal but I've used it at night at MVAs to get drivers attention when protecting the accident scene.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default streamlight survivor LED with 4AA batteries

The steamlight survivor LED with disposable AA bateries is cheap enough to just replace your old xenon bulb model. I purchased the LED model last fall. I am thoroughly impressed with the battery life with the LED. After three fires and several MVAs, the light was still as bright as it was with fresh batteries. I replaced the batteries anyway after all that just to be on the safe side. Just one problem though....I had to keep turning the light back on while pulling ceiling during a fire. After clean-up back at the firehouse I tested the light buy holding the light in the up-right position at shoulder level, then quickly jerked the light to waist level. This resulted in the light turning itself off. I could hear the battery tray moving inside the light when this happened. I'm in the process of trying to figure out a fix with the manufacturer now. Other than that it's a great light.

Thread Information