MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pistol Grip Nozzles

Hey what does everyone think about pistol grip nozzles most of my department wants them but some of the old timers donít. So we donít get them. And the killer thing is that most the people who donít want them are captains or chiefs and they don't ever use them. What does everyone use and what are the pros and cons of each in your opion.

Forum Member

We use both at my department. There aren't really any pros/cons other than the pistol grip gives you move leverage. I could take 'em or leave 'em.

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I like the pistol frip nozzle especially when flowing high gpms with small lines. Some people will say it limits the nozzle persons ability to move the nozzle around. In those cases I just slide my hand back onto the hose and move the line like there was no pistol grip.

In reality this is another case where you can justify either style of nozzle and it boils down to personal taste. Pistol grip and non-pistol grip nozzles are extinguishing fire all over the world everyday.

FyredUp

Forum Member

I've always been told to saw the pistol grip off and throw it away. I've used both and personally, I'll take the non-pistol grip anyday. Leverage to work the nozzle is created when it is out in front of you a bit; not tucked under your arm.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingKiwi View Post
    Go put your pussy 2 1/2" lines away kiddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Explorer343

By the way KEEPBACK200FEET, you're so dramatic!

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

KEEPBACK200FEET: I've always been told to saw the pistol grip off and throw it away. I've used both and personally, I'll take the non-pistol grip anyday. Leverage to work the nozzle is created when it is out in front of you a bit; not tucked under your arm.
    I agree with what you are saying here. BUT...if you are holding a hoseline with a pistol grip nozzle with the nozzle tucked under your arm you simply are not using this nozzle properly. The nozzle should still be infront of the body if you are standing with your arm either at a 90 degree angle or slightly more than a 90 degree angle with the nozzle pushed out in front of your body. If you are laying or kneeling you still push the nozzle out in front of you. The worst mistake most nozzle operators make is to tuck the nozzle tight to their body and it doesn't matter if it is a pistol grip nozzle or not.

FyredUp

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FyredUp View Post
    I agree with what you are saying here. BUT...if you are holding a hoseline with a pistol grip nozzle with the nozzle tucked under your arm you simply are not using this nozzle properly. The nozzle should still be infront of the body if you are standing with your arm either at a 90 degree angle or slightly more than a 90 degree angle with the nozzle pushed out in front of your body. If you are laying or kneeling you still push the nozzle out in front of you. The worst mistake most nozzle operators make is to tuck the nozzle tight to their body and it doesn't matter if it is a pistol grip nozzle or not.

FyredUp
    I agree with you 100%. I've seen many people try to work a nozzle by holding the pistol grip and keeping it under their arm. Many people feel that that is the proper way to hold it simply because it's there.
    Just know, I chose my own fate. I drove by the fork in the road and went straight.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with keeping the nozzle in front of you. But I like them when you are dragging the hose into the house. I like the leverage you have with it. Thanks for everyone are input.

Permanently Removed

Two words- LOVE THEM!

Forum Member

The only con I have seen with the pistol grip nozzles is that some people use it as a crutch and tuck it under their arm (worst thing you can do). If you can not teach your ff to use it properly, I'd say..... do without!!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Let's talk fire trucks!

I agree with the others that anyone who's using the nozzle with it tucked under thier arm is using it incorrectly. The bail of the nozzle needs to be about an arm's length in front of you, giving you maximum control of the stream, with or without a backup person.

As for the actual pistol grip, the only thing I've ever found it good for is moving the line through an occupancy. I don't ever use it when actually putting the wet on the red. I could live with or without them...

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm with fyred up, his assessment is exactly what I was thinking.

I allow my students to use both and show them the limitations of utlizing a pistol grip with its reduction in range of motion versus having the nozzle out in front of you properly, the look on their face explains that they then understand that its basically worthless.

Banned

The pistol grip simply gives you more leverage. I love it, I cna use it all day long. Although that might be an exaggeration.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    The pistol grip simply gives you more leverage. I love it, I cna use it all day long. Although that might be an exaggeration.
    More leverage doing what?

Forum Member

Some people swear by them..others swear at them.
    Try both and you decide what you feel more comfortable with, not what someone else says you should use.

Forum Member

Hey KEEPBACK..the people who say saw off the handles are probably the same idiots who say to saw off the pick on a pick head ax because it's useless. While there are some tools that don't live up to their expectations, many times a person says a tool is useless because they don't know how to use it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    Hey KEEPBACK..the people who say saw off the handles are probably the same idiots who say to saw off the pick on a pick head ax because it's useless. While there are some tools that don't live up to their expectations, many times a person says a tool is useless because they don't know how to use it.
    Yeah, that's REALLY the case here.

MembersZone Subscriber

I gotta say I love them.

That and a good play pipe on a 2 1/2 makes it just that much easier to handle and drag.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

It can be a useful tool for line movement in certain situations, but if you're using it to actually apply water on an interior attack, you either have UNBELIEVABLY strong, long arms, or you are using it incorrectly.

I agree with BoxAlarm - I don't mind having them as an additional line movement tool, but I find that the disadvantages of their misuse are greater than the advantages of their proper use.

If you have perfectly trained firefighters that will use it correctly every time, go ahead and buy them. Otherwise, remove the temptation for misuse.

Also, do a search.

Hey KEEPBACK..the people who say saw off the handles are probably the same idiots who say to saw off the pick on a pick head ax because it's useless.
    Hey, good idea....I'm going to try that....

Forum Member

Hey Blitz...if you haven't had sex for awhile would you saw off.......

Border Patrol

We could live without them on an 1 3/4 but they sure seem to make dragging a charged 2 1/2 around a little easier.

As others posted, once the nozzle's in use forget about the grip and get it out in front of you.
    "The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." - Vince Lombardi

Forum Member

I like the pistol grips, it makes dragging the hose throughout the structure easier. It can jam up your cross lays - if you have your nozzle on one side, and then pull the nozzle through the truck to the other side. Just a matter of paying attention to what you are doing.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Blitz...if you haven't had sex for awhile would you saw off.......
    Mmm......no, probably not, because it is useful then. But if it was useless and getting in the way constantly.....

Actually, now that I think about it, the premise of my last post was that pistol grips are useful, but have a great potential for misuse......so maybe by that logic, it would make sense.

putitout brings up another point - pistol grips also make it more difficult to cleanly load a minuteman preconnect - particularly in a single stack bed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pistol

I love pistol grips...unfortunately my department doesn't use them currently, hopefully that will change eventually.

I have small hands for a guy my size and for some reason I feel like the pistol grip gives me better control of the nozzle when I have the line over my shoulder for vehicle fires and the like. However, as others have said for interior work it's not as big an issue since the nozzle is far out in front of you.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

I like them and agree to all that they should not be squeezed to death by your armpit.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Personally can't stand them. Too hard to explain to the newbies that yes it's a handle, but no don't hold it when operating it. Plus on the occasion when you're without a truck and you need to shove the knob through the ceiling to make a hole, the pistol grip gets in the way. BTW, ceiling should not be plaster and lathe when attempting this operation.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RTB

Stay low, keep pushing in, and stay safe.

Thread Information