Forum Member

Default Would something like this have a chance??

Ok we were back at the drawing board for the federal grant did the needs assesment and the obvious hit it square in the face PPE is something we need. But we also were thinking would it be possible to get a small traffic control trailer to be funded? What we were looking at was something to carry cones, possibly generator lights, fold out traffic signs (that say emergency incident ahead and possibly ones for training for something like a house burn I believe they say emergency or live fire training ahead), stop signs for traffic control and maybe barricades?

Like kurt said in my other thread the AFG is for FF safety so would something like the trailer get funded or would it work better as something to apply for on a Regional level?

Any thoughts comments

Forum Member

Well you can apply for anything , but my gut feeling is that you will have a very hard time showing that this will improve your depts. ability to protect your FF and the public with a low priority item like an accessory trailer. don't even see anything like this on the priority matrix.
    I may be wrong but i would invest your application on more important needs for the dept.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Trailers are equipment so they won't be in the vehicle matrix. But you're right, compared to PPE that's not even on the radar screen. PPE is a need, trailer is a want. Wants don't get funded even when coupled with needs.

And even though traffic control is a need around some incidents, some states have Fire Police, others have law enforcement handling that. I'd stick with the PPE, work on Wal-Mart or some other local businesses for sponsorship of a trailer. Stuff isn't that expensive, free ads all over the trailer can get it bought pretty easily. "outside the box".

MembersZone Subscriber

HAve to agree here; it is a low priority and will lower your overall score such that you might lose the PPE. Stay focused.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

much thanks guys I will take the info back

Thread Information