Thread: New Haven Orals

Forum Member

Default New Haven Orals

Has anyone been to their oral yet?

I know that the first one was at 0700 this morning. I'm interested in what questions are being asked. I have mine on Wens.

Best of luck to all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe they will ask you if you mind selling Ice Cream out of the white trucks?

Sorry I couldn't resist

I'm not interested in New Haven Or I'd let you know.

Good Luck with your oral though!!!!!
    Make sure you check some websites on interviewing techniques...The eye contact and good handshake type of stuff and don't forget the 1st impression. Dress appropriately!!!

Again good luck
    If I'm not here I'm on http://ctfire-ems.com/indexc.php

Leather Forever

I dont want to get into the questions. But I will say if you have a good head on your shoulders, some common sense about you, and some knowledge of fire department politics. You should have no problem with the oral exam

Stay well, Stay Safe
    Matt
    www.signal50.com

Forum Member

Default ??????????????????????

When did a suit or at least a shirt and tie become optional for a job interview??? Did anyone see that guy wearing carhart overalls and a ski cap today?? I also guess a few guys didn't bother to to take their earings out either. So the point.......wear a suit and I'm sure you'll start off above some of the competition!

Leather Forever

As I was leavingg some guy was walking in with EMS pants, multiple pagers/radios and jacket with his volly dept on it......All I could think was "man I hope this guy is here for a class and not an interview"

Stay Well, Stay Safe
    Matt

MembersZone Subscriber

That is funny. Carhartt's for real?

Forum Member

yea, brown carhartt coveralls, dirty work boots, baseball hat, and cut off t shirt. Whaler did you have the 1240 time slot?

MembersZone Subscriber

Thats funny stuff. I wish I had some characters like that in the HFD testing. It would have made my day.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JCA1386 View Post
    yea, brown carhartt coveralls, dirty work boots, baseball hat, and cut off t shirt. Whaler did you have the 1240 time slot?

10-4 12:20 Slot

Forum Member

nice...did anyone get an idea as to how many they interviewed? or how many the dept is going to put on?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Sgnl50 View Post
    As I was leavingg some guy was walking in with EMS pants, multiple pagers/radios and jacket with his volly dept on it......All I could think was "man I hope this guy is here for a class and not an interview"
    If I were you, I would hope he is there for an interview.

yea, brown carhartt coveralls, dirty work boots, baseball hat, and cut off t shirt.
    I would guess that those two did not do so well on the orals. They may have aced the questions but how you present yourself also counts.

IIRC, approximately 600 candidates were interviewed. That was the number on the solicitation for raters that I received a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I could not make the sessions this week.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

nice...did anyone get an idea as to how many they interviewed? or how many the dept is going to put on?
    I heard 600-700 people were invited for an interview. They are planning on putting 25 on during the first round of hires.

I was amazed at the number of people not wearing suits.

MembersZone Subscriber

Taz

When you started this thread I did not know the answers to the questions but one of the things I told you was to dress appropriately.

Reading the other posts you can see what kind of impact some people made and how some people just blow it

Good luck with your selection process!
    If I'm not here I'm on http://ctfire-ems.com/indexc.php

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by osfd100 View Post
    Taz

When you started this thread I did not know the answers to the questions but one of the things I told you was to dress appropriately.

Reading the other posts you can see what kind of impact some people made and how some people just blow it

Good luck with your selection process!

How you look is the first impression that the board has of you. There was a younger guy who was dropped off by his mother and when he walked in started to ask me questions about where he had to go to sign in. Even though there was the board that clearly stated to "wait in the lobby and you will be called in by time group", I told him to wait in the lobby. He continued to ask me questions about the interviewing process. I finaly told him that I was there for my oral also. He said that I looked so professional in my suit that he thought I was an interviewer. As more people walked in you saw the look on his face....he must have realized that his dockers, polo shirt and leather jacket wasn't going to cut it.

Thanks for your encouragement and good luck to all.

Thread Information