MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Albany, IN hiring?

Hey guys, any idea when New Albany will be hiring again?

Forum Member

It's almost impossible to give you a definite date on anytime someplace will be hiring. I would say they should have another agility test this year sometime though, they are typically in the late summer/early fall. If your primary interest kis to become a paid firefighter, I wouldn't focus on a single department. You also have Jeffersonville and Clarksville who will/should be hiring several this year as well as the next comming years due to retirement. Also, don't forget about the places across the river, lots of departments you can apply for over there.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, and yes, my goal is to be a career firefighter. I've been checking all the local papers, websites, etc. Just waiting to get a shot, I truly believe I have what it takes.

Forum Member

That's good that you're checking in all of those places, but also try calling the departments maybe once every couple months to ask. Even though they are supposed to advertise when they are hiring, they sometimes don't advertise very well.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm from that area that you are talking about. Last I heard New Albany had some legal issues concerning their last hires. Don't know how it will affect the next hiring. They are looking at getting rid of the written test to make getting hired easier. Take it for what its worth. If you are OK with moving, look up around Indy/Metro area. That's what I ended up doing and love it up here. There is so much more opportunity here. Indianapolis fire is said to be hiring classes of 45, twice a year for the next couple of years. Good luck.
    Last edited by zcam630; 03-24-2007 at 03:33 PM.

Forum Member

They can't get rid of a written test for new hires. State law says all career departments must administer a physical agility test and a written exam and certify the results to the persons responsible for hiring. The union is pushing for something similar to a merit board. Where there is more emphasis on the agility and written than in the interviews. IE a maximum amount of points can be accrued at each step of the process, with the interview having the lower amount. This is done so that the results can't be thrown by political influence.

Thread Information