Forum Member

Question Naval Newport RI FD ???

Any one have info on any up coming opening at Naval Station Newport(RI) FD ???

Thanks !!!

Forum Member

Cool Naval Base Newport

Hi:

I do not believe they will be hiring anytime soon. They are still struggling to keep there existing firefighters employed. I used to work at Naval Base Newport in 2004 and 2005. A bunch of us recieved RIF (Reduction In Force notices because of a major down sizing. The IAFF F100 Union tried to fight it, but no luck. When I started there were 4 stations and I beleive 56 or so guys. Last I heard, it was 2 stations and around 40 guys. If they do hire, it will be a term or temp position. Last I heard the wanted to go down to 26 guys total.The Navy as a whole is trying to cut back as much as possible , so please be cautious. I can say it is very laid back with lots of nice guys. Brand new 2005 Piecre Quint as well. Red and very nice! I do have pics I can send.

Hope that helps. I would consider Naval Submarine Base, Groton.

Kev
    Former IAFF F-100

Forum Member

Default Newport RI

I can help you out. I used to work for Newport Naval. Simply put, with a RIF going on, its hard enough not to lay guys off. It is even harder to hire new faces.

What makes you want to work there?

Kev

Forum Member

kev,

Thanks for the info!!

Sub Base FD is my dream job but can't make the list because i'm not a vet.
    I have my FF 1 & 2 Haz-Mat Tech, Ct Emt card, but still can't make the list at a gs-04 level, but i will keep trying

Forum Member

If you really want to get in, then apply everywhere in the USA. Term or Temp positions are much less competive, so you have a way better chance of getting one of those. Believe me, temps and terms do go permanent, even if you are not a Vet. If the Chief wants you, he will get you. I recieved a couple of permanent offers, but turned them dowm to work at Plant 42 in Los Angeles. Once you are permanent, you can basically transfer to the base of your choice.

Hope this helps,

Kev

ARFF42...We are actually down to 33 people now and in one station as of last week. Which shift did you work?? As far as openings go we have two guys who have to retire this year, one in July and another in September. We also have a guy going to SBNLON and one more possibley going to a city job.

Forum Member

Wink Naval Newport RI

My shift assignments were as follows. 2B under Ethan, 4B under Billy, 2A under George and finally, 1A, back with Ethan. When I left the new station was being built, I believe down the street from NUWC. It was planned to go to 1 rescue, 1 truck and 2 engines. However, guys were trying to keep it at 3 engines. Last I heard, everyone still had there jobs and the RIF really has not affected anyones job status. Not sure if Terms were upgraded to Perms, but I hope so.

Take care,

K

We currently have one engine, one ladder, and one rescue plus the A/C. The terms (four left) are still terms, but at least they have not lost their jobs! We tried getting the second engine back but so far no luck...I just realized who you are... I'm the A/C on "A" shift. MB,NB,AP, and DF are still employed by us...Thought you went to an Army base??

Forum Member

Default To: Arff42

Plant 42? Say Hi to Pete L. Used to work with him at NAS South Weymouth!

Forum Member

Talking Halagan 35

What is your first name so I can tell him. Mr. Legan works at station 1 on the C shift.

Kev

Forum Member

Default Arff42

Tell Pete Laurimore that Pete Woodbury says Hi

Forum Member

Default Halagan35

I believe I have an OT shift this Sunday with him. I will let him know you said "hello"

Kev

Forum Member

Question

is the newport naval station on the brac list, if not why all the cuts in the fd????

Whaler, We are not on the BRAC list... actually the base is gaining several and losing several schools with a net gain of 500 people. The FD is now part of MidLant and CNI is cutting everyone to save money!! We run 10 firefighters and one duty chief... that's it! CNI's common repsonse is to "use mutual aid if needed"...fire protection in the Navy now is just an afterthought...they could care less if we exist or not...just my 2 cents

Forum Member

Newport RI actually gained 500 people and is not on the BRAC list. The Navy as a whole wants to cut jobs to save money. They are willing to accept the risk of less man power. My advise, go to a small base with only 1 engine company. You cannot go any lower than that.

Kev

Forum Member

Question Navy Newport FD

Quote Originally Posted by fdhogchief View Post
    Whaler, We are not on the BRAC list... actually the base is gaining several and losing several schools with a net gain of 500 people. The FD is now part of MidLant and CNI is cutting everyone to save money!! We run 10 firefighters and one duty chief... that's it! CNI's common repsonse is to "use mutual aid if needed"...fire protection in the Navy now is just an afterthought...they could care less if we exist or not...just my 2 cents
    Any idea when they might hire for the retirement positions? Do you think it will be open to the public or kept to current employees? Everytime I see announcements for your department it is only for terms or temps. Would the announcement be permanent or temp/term? Thanks for the info.

Forum Member

Whaler:

Read the previous post. They do not care and CNI will cut as many people as they can. When I worked there, I was a Term as are all the new hires. My guess is there is no room for a new hire. Any Terms that may have been laid off will have the opportunity to come back. For the record, when I worked there I believe the minimum daily staffing was 17 or 18 guys. So 10 guys today, says it all.

Kev

Forum Member

Default fdhogchief

Whaler:

I left the army base to go work down south and be closer to home. I heard that David F got his job back with Norwood. As for the other terms, I heard from Josh M as he is now with a city department.

Kev

Forum Member

Default fdhogchief

fdhogchief

Sorry, I had Whaler on the brain and afet reading your post, I realize that DF is still with you guys.

Kev, Fitzy is still with us, Josh went to Little Compton, small department but he's fairly happy. We have several guys retiring this year and we will eventually have to hire. The terms can reapply for the permanent postions and Chief K might hire one or two back...you left at a good time!!!

Thread Information