MembersZone Subscriber

Default Inspection Software

Our Fire Inspector is looking for software for inspections, forms, citations, etc. Any ideas??

Forum Member

I utilize a 3-part carbon form for my inspection checklist. We follow the ICC Code Series Fire Codes, as well as provisions of the Property Maintenance Code (we inspect all commerical/industrial/institutional buildings as well as multiple (rental) private dwellings. The form includes all the usual (Name, Address, name of representative if not owner, classification, as well as a section specifically for re-inspection purposes. When I am out in the field, I carry a datebook, and if a re-inspection is required, the owner or rep is given a re-inspect date right there on the spot, and then they have to SIGN the form, acknowledging there will be a re-inspection and the date. No more sending out re-inspect letters!

If you'd like, I can send a copy of the form.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I would be interested

FWDbuff I would be interested in that form as well, also we are establishing a rental property inspection policy as well. If you have any thing to share on this it would also be most appreciateted

We are currently using firehouse softwares inspection module, and it works fair. It is a bit combersome and often lacking but it does get the job done.

Forum Member

No prob! email or PM me your mailing address!

Common problems encountered inspecting apartments:

1. Biggest problem of all: No SD's or missing/dead batteries at time of inspection. My remedy: Politely advise the property owner in the initial appointment letter of the jurisdiction's policy, such as "Smithtown has adopted the 2006 International Fire Code's requirement of one operating smoke detector in EACH sleeping space, as well as one in the common hallways/areas leading to the sleeping spaces. It is advisable for the owner or representative to ensure compliance prior to the time of inspection. Additionally, owner or rep may want to bring extra batteries to the inspection."

OTHERWISE, you have to go back and re-insp for a 1.00 battery!!

2. Another problem, mainly with pain in the *** property owners who dont want to have the inspection to begin with (the biggest violators!) They either cancel and reschedule inspections repeatedly, or they dont show for the inspection.

Many times more often than not, if they dont show, the tenants have not been informed of the inspection. Common inspection policies (as well as common courtesy) dictates that you give occupants 2weeks notice of an upcoming inspection. I will NOT enter an apartment if the tenant has not been notified of the inspection unless he/she absolutely has no problem whatsoever with it. And it goes without saying, that I will not enter an unoccupied apartment alone without the property owner or representive present.

The "cancellors" as I like to call them are given two opportunities to reschedule only. If they try to do it a third time, they are told no, and if they are a no-show, they will be sent a Notice of Violation giving them 30 days to have the inspection done or "we'll go see the Dee Jay" (District Justice.)

The "No-Shows" were given 2 opportunities to not show. I think that as of 2008 we are going to assess a $45.00 fee if they fail to show a second time. If they do indeed fail to show the second time, they'll get hit with the $45.00 fee PLUS a Notice of Violation.

Problems with persons of foreign descent: We have a large Indian and Asian population. The Indians like to have these little "temples" or Altars in their homes, worshipping (Allah? Shiva? Whoever....) They have a bad habit of placing candles inside open-ended boxes. I forbid this practice, and they usually understand when you explain why (make sure you have someone who is fluent in english to help you) Apparently little red lights are ok for them as a substitute, something about the color red being ok for them????

Asian people (especially the little old ladies) like to deep fry with oil, and are slobs when they do it. As a result, their kitchen hoods, filters, exhaust fans, walls and ceilings are usually soaked from oil/grease vapors.

Thats about all I can think of right now. Commercial/Industrial properties are problems unto their own, but owners/management usually fall in line WAY easier than residential property owners.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 03-21-2007 at 10:09 PM.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

BMTFD2821,

I created my own database/inspection software program using MS Access and Visual CE. Visual CE is used on a Pocket PC and synchronized with MS Access. I take my Pocket PC to the site that holds Property Info forms and 100+ item checklist form. Once I complete my inspection for the day I return to the office, attach my Pocket PC to the "craddle" that is attached via usb to my computer. I synchronize the two programs. Basically what this does is take all the inspection information from my Pocket PC and uploads it into the MS Access program. Microsoft does not publish a Pocket version of Access. So, after the uploads are complete, I enter the MS Access program, click a button to run a report, do a little formatting of the report, and print. When I return to the office, it takes me no more than ten minutes to have one report complete and ready to be mailed. Prior to this program it took me a minimum of 45 minutes to type one inspection. Now, I can complete multiple inspection in a day's work. How did I create this program?

We enforce the International Code set. I purchased the Fire Inspectors guide from the ICC and used this as a guide to determine my checklist items plus encorporated my experience common violations and came up with a checklist. There are numerous tutorial sites available on the internet for MS Access help and form/database downloads. Yes it took many hours to complete, and lots of trial and error. However, this will save many hours in years to come.

If you are looking for a "published" software package, you can do a google search on fire inspection software and find many packages to choose from. Most companies offer a trial or demo download. Good Luck.

Thread Information