Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sioux Falls

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sioux Falls

Did anyone apply for Sioux falls, SD fire dpartment. If so, does anyone know what type of shifts they run?

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

.......bump

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Guess it should be easy to get on, as no one else applied. Or maybe no one checks on here that applied

Forum Member

Here in Sioux Falls they work 24 on 48 off. I'm sure that the lack of replies just means that those applying don't check the forums here (except for me so far). Two years ago there were I believe 500-700 that took the written. I didn't test then, but I got those numbers from some guys that did.

MembersZone Subscriber

When were they taking applications? I was really hoping to test but didnt hear anything about it and didnt see it posted on thier site or any recruitment sites.

MembersZone Subscriber

Applications were due by the 2nd of March I believe. I got the information in an email they sent to me. You from South Dakota?

Forum Member

Default Sioux Falls

Obviously you applied before you did your homework.
    I believe Day on Day off 4 rounds then off 4-6 days.
    They did'nt go to the extent they have in the past in advertising this time around.
    What else do you want to know?

Forum Member

Default .

Actually they do 24 on 48 off. 2 years ago they adervised so much because they were opening a new station. I was told by a couple friends who tested that between 500-600 people took the written. Don't be suprised if at least 300-400 still take it this time. Very competative department testing process for this region of the country. Hope I answered your questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the reply. I did LOTS of homework to the extent of what they told me about the department on their website. I didnt see anything about the shifts they worked, and thought I would ask here. I guess just waiting now to hear from someone. I thought they worked 24 on 24 off, but wasnt sure how it worked after a few days. My main question would be is their any advice, or things I can do now to prepare me for the hiring process. I currently work out at the gym to prepare for the CPAT< but didnt know of anything else I can do in the meantime.

Thanks

Forum Member

I got my invitation letter for the written today. I too have been working out at the gym and have been since Jan 1st in prep for the CPAT. As for other prep stuff. There is something mentioned about preparing for the written on the invitation letter you receive. I don't want to speculate on preping for the other parts though because this will be my first time in the process myself and I don't want to misguide you.

MembersZone Subscriber

First time here too. Good luck. Keep updates on this board if you can, and I'll try and do the same.

Forum Member

Default Shifts

Ok
    Several of my friends work for SFFR, and this is the story.
    They work 24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on 4 days off.
    Testing is on friday at 10 or saturday at 8. The test is very good compared to some I have taken. I would recomend going to the CPAT orientation after the written. Where are you guys from?
    Last edited by FFEMT920; 03-15-2007 at 10:24 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Near Yankton, SD here. I also can back up they do work the 24 on 24 off for 3 rotations then have 4 days off, with a kelly day in there somewhere. I contacted HR. EMT 920, where are you from and did you apply before? I also just got my letter to take the test in April. Just wondering what stands out from the people who are hired compared to the people wo arent. I have been reading alot, and Ive come to the conclusion as long as you pass everything, the interview is where you pick up the points.

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Hmmm. for some reason I had 24 on 48 off stuck in my head. Sorry for giving you the wrong info. Maybe they changed in the last few years or something, but anyways thanks for letting me know as well. I much prefer the 24 on 24 off cycle myself anyways :-). I'm from Sioux Falls to answer your question. I'm not sure if your written score plays a role in your final ranking, but I do know the CPAT is pass/fail. I also have been wondering if you are scored on the BPAD or if it is just pass/fail. Hopefully someone can shed some light.

Forum Member

I am originally from SF, and tested last time around. Then I moved to go to school and am finishing my AAS fire tech degree. I believe its all pass fail until you get to interview. Has anyone heard how many applied? The 24, 48 shift is what Rapid City SD uses, that might be where you got confused.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not sure how many applied yet, but would be interested as well. I would also like to talk with a few of the hires from last time around to see what they did special if anything.

Good luck all

Oh anf FFEMT, where are you currently taking your degree at? I'm just wondering if its local
    Last edited by adam18; 03-19-2007 at 09:55 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default test time

Test time coming up in a couple weeks. Which day do you plan on taking the test, Friday? or Saturday? It would be nice to get together with a few of you and get together some where.

I will be testing Friday

Forum Member

I will be testing Friday as well. It'd be super cool if we could all meet in academy. :-)

MembersZone Subscriber

ANYONE interested in joining us for a get together after the test on Friday, please PM me and Ill get you the time and place. It would be nice to get to know the people who banter back and fourth once in a while

Like i said above PM me, and ill email, or pm you back on the time and place

Good luck

Forum Member

I ended up taking the written on Saturday and there were about 120 testing, how many of you were there on Friday?

Thread Information