Forum Member

Default Notification of award

Just curious if this happens on a regular basis. I write the grant apps' for my department and a couple nearby. It's just a hobby and I enjoy the challenge. I've even been successful a couple of times.

This morning, the MRS was reading the local AM paper and here's how the conversation went:
    MRS... "I see XYZ FD got their grant."
    ME..."Really."
    MRS... "Rep ABC is pleased to announce XYZ FD has been awarded an AFG 2007 grant in the amount of $$$$."
    ME..."I checked the site a my e-mail last night and nothing was there"
    MRS..." Well go check now."
    ME..."Still nothing."

I just checked again (it's about 2pm my time) and nothing and I even checked out the reps web site.

A call to the chief and he tells me a reporter called last night about 6pm to tell him and ask what they were going to do with the funding. He was a bit suprised too. Obviously we knew we had a good chance due to the questions and such prelims. It would seem to me that they might want to contact the CONTACT people first?

Forum Member

Thumbs up Friday will be XYZ's big day

Last year the area paper called for comments on the AFG award before any notification from the Senator or AFG e-mail, those came two days after the Senators press release.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by flathead View Post
    Just curious if this happens on a regular basis. I write the grant apps' for my department and a couple nearby. It's just a hobby and I enjoy the challenge. I've even been successful a couple of times.

This morning, the MRS was reading the local AM paper and here's how the conversation went:
    MRS... "I see XYZ FD got their grant."
    ME..."Really."
    MRS... "Rep ABC is pleased to announce XYZ FD has been awarded an AFG 2007 grant in the amount of $$$$."
    ME..."I checked the site a my e-mail last night and nothing was there"
    MRS..." Well go check now."
    ME..."Still nothing."

I just checked again (it's about 2pm my time) and nothing and I even checked out the reps web site.

A call to the chief and he tells me a reporter called last night about 6pm to tell him and ask what they were going to do with the funding. He was a bit suprised too. Obviously we knew we had a good chance due to the questions and such prelims. It would seem to me that they might want to contact the CONTACT people first?
    The only way you will know for sure personally is to wait for the official announcement on Friday. However for some reason they publish this to the gov. officials on Wednesday. Kind of takes the wind out of your sails. Especially if you were the one to write the grant and would like to be the person to announce to your department that it was successful. Cannot do anything about it. It has been that way since the program began. You can get the idea that an award will be coming when you receive your 1199A and 10 questions. Congratulations.

Kelly

MembersZone Subscriber

I look at it a little different than Kelly--i don't care WHO they call, just CALL!! The lists to the Congressional office gives the Rep or Sen a chance to notify the department and do a press release. Come reps call, some just do a release, and some don't do either.

earl (call early and call often!!)

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Quote Originally Posted by Greenacres2 View Post
    I look at it a little different than Kelly--i don't care WHO they call, just CALL!! The lists to the Congressional office gives the Rep or Sen a chance to notify the department and do a press release. Come reps call, some just do a release, and some don't do either.

earl (call early and call often!!)
    Which is why (as I've said so many times) it's very, very important to get to know the staffer (in the DC and District offices) that handles the fire grants, usually it's the person that covers DHS and the Military. Don't be a nag (don't call them first thing Wednesday morning ), but offer to meet with them or invite them along for a ride-along (if that's permitted in your dept.), send invitations (if by snail mail, don't send to DC) to your BBQ's, whatever. Staffers don't just handle one issue, so you may have to do a little leg work on educating them especially if they're not from the District or state that the Congressman/Senator represents.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Forum Member

Personally, I could care less who makes the announcement, I'd just like to know before the media does. I did call my district rep's office yesterday AM and they really didn't know why the media had it before we were told, but the nice lady on the phone told me she'd look into it.

At any rate, I got the official good news this moring .

MembersZone Subscriber

Diane has had the advantage of being on the inside. We have a freshman Congressman this year, and i spoke with his grants coordinator on her second day on the job (she had an office and empty desk--no computer, e-mail, etc). She's got a lifetime of grant experience and success--none of it in public safety. We are making it a point to be available to her for questions, concerns and ideas. During Kurt's seminar, she was able to spend an entire day with us at our station instead of just popping in to make a statement. Not only did she get to see the equipment we work with, but she took the time to listen to examples of what we have done with it. I commend her and our Congressman for investing that time.

I guess the point of this is that Federal funding and assistance is a two-way street. We need to be willing to provide our elected officials with the tools they need to justify spending funds so that they can provide the funds for us to acquire the tools we need to do the job.

earl

MembersZone Subscriber

And don't worry DianeC, I made sure I encouraged her to join the Congressional Fire Caucus and her boss!
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780 View Post
    And don't worry DianeC, I made sure I encouraged her to join the Congressional Fire Caucus and her boss!
    Thanks! The more the merrier.

I have a friend who works for a freshmen Congressman from CO -- he can't get his boss to join (it's probably one of the most bi-partisan groups on the Hill that serves so many constituents)!! I told my friend to work the vote angle -- if he wants to get re-elected, he better join. The fire service is a big voice whether the rest of us agree with the messages some times (just look at the front page of today's The Hill).
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

MembersZone Subscriber

Could not agree more and I made that arguement for the votes as well. I also metioned that we lost our two Fire Act Grant champions and someone needs to pick up the reins.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information