Forum Member

Default What's up with Smeal?

Can anyone confirm the rumor Smeal cut off a bunch of dealers? Financial trouble? Warranty issues? Sales?

Anybody?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hehateme View Post
    Can anyone confirm the rumor Smeal cut off a bunch of dealers? Financial trouble? Warranty issues? Sales?

Anybody?
    Since Ferrara builds apparatus bodies for Smeal trucks and Smeal builds Ferrara's aerials, maybe a merger is in the works.
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah, why not start a rumor about a company that has had 14 years in row of being profitable and increased sales every year. I guess they should be getting bashed for doing something right. That company probably has more repeat customers that anyone in the industry.

I think if you know anyone that sells Smeal trucks and talk to them, you will find out that they cut those dealers due to "lack of sales". Keep your eye on them. I hear there are at least three dealers signing back on with them for the open areas.

Better yet, why no start some more rumors. I heard Hebe was buying them and Ferrara.......give it a rest.

MembersZone Subscriber

Post Smeal

check out post from Smeal
    Last edited by arff17; 03-09-2007 at 12:43 PM. Reason: thought better

MembersZone Subscriber

I wasn't aware Ferrara was building bodies for Smeal. How long has this been going on?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default About Smeal! From A Dealer

The facts are from a SMEAL Dealer perspective:

1. Yes a couple of Dealers are no longer representing Smeal and this can and does happens in every industry periodically. This can be based on a number of factors none of which I am aware of the details.

Smeal's sales are increasing especially to both new and repeat customers both large and small in North America and this 50 year old + family owned company is as strong as ever.. If they were a pubic company I wish I could buy shares.. Kinda like Warren Buffett (Berkshire Hathaway) another Nebraska corporation...

2. Ferrara does NOT build bodies for Smeal! Smeal does sell their aerial device to Ferrara as a private label no different than RK (Rosenbauer) does to other OEMs.

3. That's all..

Forum Member

Default Oh really?

Quote Originally Posted by SAFETEK View Post
    The facts are from a SMEAL Dealer perspective:

1. Yes a couple of Dealers are no longer representing Smeal and this can and does happens in every industry periodically. This can be based on a number of factors none of which I am aware of the details.

Smeal's sales are increasing especially to both new and repeat customers both large and small in North America and this 50 year old + family owned company is as strong as ever.. If they were a pubic company I wish I could buy shares.. Kinda like Warren Buffett (Berkshire Hathaway) another Nebraska corporation...

2. Ferrara does NOT build bodies for Smeal! Smeal does sell their aerial device to Ferrara as a private label no different than RK (Rosenbauer) does to other OEMs.

3. That's all..
    One Smeal dealer says one thing while another says something else.

Sounds like trouble is brewing on the Nebraska prairie.

Can't wait to see the new faces at FDIC.
    Last edited by Hehateme; 03-09-2007 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Missing title.

Forum Member

Default Ferrara - Smeal

At one time Ferrara was, and still might be, supplying chassis to Smeal. Maybe that is where someone got the Ferrara building bodies for Smeal. It was the standard Ferrara cab with a few changes.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sounds like the only trouble brewing is with one of the sales reps from one of the dealerships that got terminated.

It is amazing how "lack of sales" by a couple of dealerships can be twisted around to be "Trouble in Paradise".

I think the Smeal company must be doing something right and must be scaring the he^$& out of the competition.

Maybe you should watch and see how many of those terminated dealerships areas are reassigned with new dealerships. Then come back here in a month or so and see what comments you have.

At least that is what my sources tell me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tomwnh View Post
    At one time Ferrara was, and still might be, supplying chassis to Smeal. Maybe that is where someone got the Ferrara building bodies for Smeal. It was the standard Ferrara cab with a few changes.
    Ferrara still is building a private label chassis for Smeal. It is called the Altair. they also have a private label chassis being built for them by Spartan called the Sirius.

Forum Member

So what dealerships got wacked?

MembersZone Subscriber

The information regarding the chassis is correct. Ferrara supplies Smeal with the Altair chassis. Spartan supplies Smeal with the Sirius and Sirius II chassis. Smeal supplies Ferrara with aerials (ladders and platforms). Smeal builds their own bodies at their plant in Nebraska.

I can't speak to the financial condition of Smeal but I do know that their orders and business have increased the past couple of years and Smeal recently opened a new section of their factory to handle the additional orders.

Forum Member

FYI

Each of the dealerships that no longer represent our company each have different reasons for no longer being affiliated with the Smeal Distributor Network. The reasons for those changes are between Smeal and the Dealership that was terminated and no one else.

It does not show weakness on the part of Smeal Fire Apparatus Co.. It is simply a matter of business and what steps our company is taking to improve the strentgh of our team.

It is no secret as to the identitiy of those dealerships. They are AEC Fire-Safety & Security, Inc. out of Springfield, IL; G & C Supply Co., Inc of Atwood, TN; Morean's Fire Equipment, LLC of Federalsburg, MD and most recently Southeastern Emergency Vehicles of Kenneshaw, GA.

Justmyopinion is correct. We are interviewing dealerships for most of those areas already. Why wouldn't we be?

What surprises me or I guess it should not surprise me.....is that someone can get on this forum and make up as much as they want and people actually believe it.

We are a growing, thriving company. We just opened a new facility of 46,000 sqft in Neligh, NE and added on another 36,000 sqft to the Snyder facility. We have increased our production over the past year by over 30% to meet the needs of the increased sales.

So does that sound like a company that is in trouble?

If you would like to discuss this or are interested in a becoming a Smeal Distributor, give me a call.

Smeal Fire Apparatus Co.
    Jeff Wegner
    Regional Sales Director
    Direct Line (402) 568-2909

P.S. hehateme - I am pretty sure I know who you are.

Forum Member

"What surprises me or I guess it should not surprise me.....is that someone can get on this forum and make up as much as they want and people actually believe it."

If you follow the forums regularly, you would get the impression that every apparatus manufacturer is in trouble and will be shutting down soon.

That is the "beauty" of the internet. Anyone can start a blog or forum and make people believe that there were 6 gunmen who killed JFK, the City of New York murdered 343 firefighters by planting explosives in the WTC and that Dubya is actually a good president. Oh the humanity!
    I have only 2 allegiances, to my country and to my God. The rest of you are fair game.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is a problem with the forums that opinions are freely expressed and misinformation runs rampant. That said though - if you hang around long enough you'll know who is worth trusting and who isn't, and there is lots to be learned. The turds usually float to the surface pretty quickly. There are folks on here that I learn stuff from on a regular basis.

I for one am glad to see Smeal has a rep on here to clear up things. It ends rumor and speculation. As much as we get competitive, I refuse to "hate" the folks that sell products that compete with mine.

As a salesman for a competitor, I hate walking into meetings and people asking, "Did you hear "this" about brand X?" It's like you're instantly being baited to bad mouth the competition. I now know my regional competitor isn't selling Smeal, that's too bad. End of story. I did the same thing when the E-One dealer shut down here - it really is a shame when folks lose jobs, etc. At least AEC has enough with the other products they sell (including Danko and EVI) that they will still be around. I haven't had anyone ask me about Smeal here in Illinois yet, but I'm sure I will...

Wonder who is next to supposedly be failing/struggling/etc.?
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

I truly believe that all of the manufacturers should have some representative that regularly views forums such as this one or the EVTA forum sites too provide the necessary input with regards to their products or their company without making a sales pitch. I am glad that was the case here with nothing more than the facts presented by the Smeal rep. Good show.

Forum Member

Default Smeal !

I know that Smeal Fire apparatus is doing very good in the state of New Jersey, there are more & more Smeal apparatus being delivered in N.J. than ever before. Our fire acadamy in Sayerville, N.J. took delivery of a new 75' qiunt aerial ladder this summer and more Smeal trucks are on order threw out the area !
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 06-17-2007 at 12:17 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Smeal...

Thanks Jeff for explaining Smeals position and to dispell the innuendo of some on here. Also thanks to NewJerseyFFII, LVWrench, NPFD801, Firepiper1, Chief Squirrel and Justmyopinion.

If Smeal are having problems then I sure like the problems-Increasing Sales and Marketshare and innovative new products and fantastic customer after sales service and parts support..

Forum Member

another well done Smeal truck,
    keep up the good work

http://www.smpffa.com/single_pic.cfm...%2F%20Stations

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ctxffman View Post
    keep up the good work

Nice! A tower with both front overhang and a large tailslap!
    Last edited by RFDACM02; 03-09-2007 at 11:38 PM.

Forum Member

keep up the good work

I see that your department went from a 70' Sutphen to a 100' rearmount tower, is there any problem with the extra 10 feet of truck on narrow streets!

Forum Member

The Smeal is 49' 8" long, very long. About 4-5' more than average. Yes there are issues with some streets in town. low hanging trees, tight corners etc. There are streets it doesn't go down. It usually sits at the station and the engine runs the calls. Mostly due to the side of town it's on now, until the new Central station is built. The Sutphen is still running calls at the current Central station house.

Forum Member

The Smeal is 49' 8" long, very long. About 4-5' more than average. Yes there are issues with some streets in town. low hanging trees, tight corners etc. There are streets it doesn't go down. It usually sits at the station and the engine runs the calls. Mostly due to the side of town it's on now, until the new Central station is built. The Sutphen is still running calls at the current Central station house.
    Why are Smeal aerial ladders so long, I have seen drawings of 100' - 105' sticks from Kme, Pierce , E-One , ALF etc, all running about 38' - 41' long why are the Smeal trucks avg 42' plus ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by NewJerseyFFII; 03-11-2007 at 08:31 PM.

Forum Member

The main reasons Smeal ladders are longer than others is quite simple. There are two reasons:

1) The overlap section of the aerial is 10' compared to the 8' as designed by some of the competition. The longer overlap allows for a more stable structure without the need for additional reinforcement at the point of the overlap, such as the fins designed into brand K.

2) The overall vertical reach of the Smeal structure is measured from the tip of the Fly Section, not the tip of the egress.

Forum Member

Default ..

Quote Originally Posted by SmealLadder1 View Post
    The main reasons Smeal ladders are longer than others is quite simple. There are two reasons:

1) The overlap section of the aerial is 10' compared to the 8' as designed by some of the competition. The longer overlap allows for a more stable structure without the need for additional reinforcement at the point of the overlap, such as the fins designed into brand K.

2) The overall vertical reach of the Smeal structure is measured from the tip of the Fly Section, not the tip of the egress.
    a 500 pound rating is a 500 pound rating - whether or not you have a 10' or 8' overlap....I don't understand how a longer overlap gives more stability??? I do know that a longer truck is less maneuvarable.

it seems to me that if you measured to the tip of the egress, you'd get a few feet more reach on your rating - giving you the "competitive" advantage.

Thread Information