MembersZone Subscriber

Default Work Styles Inverstory Test

Has anyone done one of these? Some departments use them and you are asked to rate yourself (certain personality traits) by responding from a range of strongly disagree to strongly agree to a statement given to you. For example: I feel it is better to have everything planned out than it is to freelance.

This test was the first like this I have ever written and I was wondering if anyone else has encountered these and found it a little confusing? My main issue was some statements were so definitive that I found it have to totally agree with. I mean most times you like something but that always isn't the case. Any thoughts on these types of tests? Do you guys (and ladies) think they are effective?

MembersZone Subscriber

Its a tough test in my opinion, because like you said, some questions are so definitive. I just took this type of test and didn't move forward to the next test process. It is disheartening, but I will keep trying. It is tough because I don't know what I answered wrong that they didn't like. Does anyone know of any departments that will use these style test in the Midwest, I would like to take this test again somewhere. Thanks.

Mack

Forum Member

Mack

The second half of the Lincoln (Neb.) Fire Dept test had this kind of questioning. They test every year. The departments not nearly as big as Omaha's....so they don't hire nearly as many people...but this line of questions was on their test last year.

MembersZone Subscriber

ive taken a work styles invintory test and some other tests that are simmilar. it doesnt matter if the test is an effective measure of one's abillity. the important thing is to figure out how to score well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ajg111 View Post
    ive taken a work styles invintory test and some other tests that are simmilar. it doesnt matter if the test is an effective measure of one's abillity. the important thing is to figure out how to score well.
    FWIW, these sorts of tests aren't designed to measure "ability"; they assess work "styles". IOW, they look at how you tend to prefer to approach problems and the sort of work roles you are attracted to.

"Scoring well" isn't dependent on selecting "right" or "wrong" answers: It's dependent on what sort of work style your prospective employer is looking for.

Here's an online sample of this sort of test and how it's scored: Quick Work Preference Inventory. It should give you an idea of what sort of results this class of assessment instrument produces.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

I think it's to see your work style but at the same time a little bit of a psychological examination. I've taken a few of these and they seem to look for how your answering questions, whether your being honest or putting down what you think they want to know.

Forum Member

Also....I think they are looking for consistency in your answers. Sometimes they ask the same question further down the road...but worded differently.

Thread Information