Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Indyfiregirl30
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default CPAT Rescue training?

Hi all - I'm in the first few weeks of my 8-wk training/wait time before I take my CPAT test. I've read countless ideas and suggestions of techniques and methods to help me train.

But I've yet to find an answer to my question with the rescue portion - the dummy drag: does anyone have any practical, at-home suggestions of how I can train to pull a 165-lb. dummy that weighs more than I do? Will I be fighting against physics to try to haul something that heavy? Can I even get enough momentum going to get it started?

I'll have 2 chances to practice this test before my actual test day, but it's not very comforting to know that I'll have an audience of competition watching, especially when I have to lot to prove to myself and to all you boyz out there, even if it is just during a practice session.

Any thoughts?

MembersZone Subscriber

Work on leg strength and use momentum to move the dummy.

Forum Member

This is what I have been doing to practice dummy dragging. First off get yourself a weighted vest if you don't have one. You can get one at a sporting goods store for around $100. Then get yourself a portable cooler, the kind you take to the beach and fill it with weights, sandbags, paintcans, etc...whatever you can find to equal 165 pounds. Tie a rope to one of the handles, make it short enough that you have to bend to drag it.

Another alternative is to have a friend volunteer to be the dummy. Work on heavy squats and heavy walking dumbbell lunges to build up leg and grip strength. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm going to be buying a weight vest as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Forum Member

Indiefirlgirl, there is a thread in the forums posted in Testing and fitness as Any dummies in here? There are a few ideas listed in there, The way I trained was to fill an Army Surplus duffel bag with sand and go from there. Start lite and add weight as you go, don't start too heavy so as not to hurt yourself. Not knowing your background, if you are a volunteer firefighter or ems person, see if your station has some old turn-out gear that you can borrow, fill with sandbags, hook the pants and coat together, and tape arms and legs together. Doing it this way will simulate the dummy better then most other ways. Any other questions let me know!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dummy Drag

I agree with the cooler idea, and with getting a friend to be a "dummy". I would also suggest doing several things in the gym to protect your low back and strengthen your hip girdle... and develop explosive strength in your legs.

Look at Events numbers 3, 4 and 7 here.
    http://www.fireagility.com/cpat_events.php
    Read through the exercises shown.

The lateral flexion bench is a great was to increase trunk strength. It's an essential to prevent hurting your low back in the dummby drag. Start with a set of 6 on each side the first time. (See if you get sore). Start with a smaller range of motion. Work up slowly to 4 sets of 12. This could take months.

Take a look at the squat thrust exercise under event #4. I realize it says it says here that it's for the ladder raise, but in truth, it will really help the explosive power in your hip girdle. Make sure you keep your weight in your heels, and sit way back. Get low. You need to determine your weight/plate and your reps.

You should also being doing decline leg presses. Look again at event #7.
    Start with low weights and high reps and go to high weights and low reps.

Also very, very important for the dummy drag, is training your low back in extension.

The Extensors of the low back can be trained either on a ball, as shown here:
    http://www.girlslax.org/circuit_training_boys.html
    Scroll down to Back extensions on ball.

Lay on top of the ball, belly button at the highest (center) point on the ball. Hands are behind your head. Feet in the corner where the wall meets the floor, toes out. Lightly squeeze the ball with your inner thighs, and take a deep breath. Lift up until your spine it totally straight, exhaling as you lift. Inhale as you lower. Try 6 reps the 1st time out. This exercise is difficult. Stop if your low back hurts! Work up to 4 sets of 20 over several months.

You can also accomplish the same on the hyper extension bench in the gym.

Here’s a pic of the hyper-extension bench, under event #3 on this site: http://www.fireagility.com/cpat_events.php

Note, the bench in this photo is being used in lateral flexion. I intend that you use the bench face down here. You would hook the backs of your heels under the same place where you see my feet braced. Flex forward, arms over your chest. Come up only to straight. It is called a hyperextension bench, but DO NOT hyperextend. Come up only to straight/level with your legs/the floor. Hold for 2 seconds, and lower slowly.

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Oh, PS: Subscribe to the job listings and other subscription services as a member here on Firehouse.com!

For more articles by Dr. Jen: http://cms.firehouse.com/content/con...bio.jsp?id=145
    There are both a great leg workout and a great trunk stabilization workout coming out soon.
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 03-10-2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: forgot something

Forum Member

Default #7 Rescue:

At the dummy pull, size up where the handles are before you get there. Grab them and get going. You may feel the burn in your legs but don't stop. It saps your strength to have to get the dummy moving again each time you stop. When you reach the barrel, do not make the turn until the dummy's knees are even with farthest side of the barrel. If you try to pull the dummy around the barrel any sooner, it takes more energy and it will take more time. Get over the line and let go of the dummy and get to the ceiling Breach and Pull.

More on the agility here: http://www.eatstress.com/agility.htm
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

If it is permissible and you can, pick the dummy up, under his shoulders, like a bear hug and drag him, this will ensure you keep moving, because when people pick up the straps (or in my experience and what I have seen anyway) they tend to start to drag very quick, lose their grip, and by that point it's tought to get going again. Whereas if you pick him up and drag him, your using mostly leg and upper body. The straps are very tough and will wear your arms out and you need that arm strength for the breach and pull.
    Last edited by mattc05; 03-10-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Florida Boy!
    Missouri and Colorado but from the East Coast!

Just some reassurance I have seen a 110lb female do very well at CPAT and the dummy drag in my last Dept, overtrain for your exam and anything that CaptBob says is a golden nugget to listen to. I think the weight vest and cooler would work very well for training as long as it does not slide too easy...you want a lot of resistance like the legs of the dummy are going to do on the concrete!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mattc05 View Post
    If it is permissible and you can, pick the dummy up, under his shoulders, like a bear hug and drag him, this will ensure you keep moving, because when people pick up the straps (or in my experience and what I have seen anyway) they tend to start to drag very quick, lose their grip, and by that point it's tought to get going again. Whereas if you pick him up and drag him, your using mostly leg and upper body. The straps are very tough and will wear your arms out and you need that arm strength for the breach and pull.
    You could.

Often, candidates don't realize that it's not just strength in the physical agility. The "Nugget " is technique, momentum and grip.

Dragging hose or a dummy is starting with a thrust to start up the momentum, taking shorter steps, keeping a low forward center of gravity, using your own weight to keep up the momentum during the pull.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Grip Strength

Specifically training for any event is important. Mimicking exactly what it is is great. As you say, Captain Bob, the nugget is technique.

I think grip strength is very important in comjunction with using the proper technique. You can develop that in your spare time very easily in 2 different ways.

Get a tennis ball, put it in the center console of your car. At every stop light, grab it and squeeze it 10 times as hard as you can. If you pop it, try a raquetball.

I am also a big fan of those grip strength trainers. You can get them at Big 5 (or any good sized sporting good store.) Held in your hand, it's like an upside down v shape with a coil at the top. It has 2 handles that you squeeze together. Use it at stop lights.

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

Indyfiregirl30
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions, everyone. I ended up buying 4- 40lb bags of topsoil (only $1.15 each!) and put them in a big Rubbermaid container I found at home, tied a rope around it and starting hauling it around my garage. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy. But at least now I know I'm physically capable of pulling that much weight. It puts my mind a little more at ease.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Great Idea!

Cheap too...
    I have heard so many great ideas from you guys... (gals too)

One guy didn't want to spend the money on a weight vest, so he got and old orange life jacket and filled small freezer ziplock bags with sand. He cut slits in the vest and took out the flotation. He filled the part behind the neck and the 2 front compartments each with another small bag each week as he trained. Each time, he closed it with some duct tape. When the front got heavier than the back/top, he got a fanny pack out of his garage and put some bags in there! In the end he'd spend like $20, and had a very effective system.

Whatever it takes to get the job done... it doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work!

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com

PS-my neighbors KNOW I'm crazy, so don't feel alone!

Thread Information