FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default 5K Running and Strength Training

I've been researching 5k (3.11Miles) training programs and most of them require heavy concentration on running (obviously) for 5 or 6 days a week. My question is, Is strength training possible to parallel with a program like this? I'm asking this cause I'm currently trying to build my leg, chest, and back strength. Here is a link to the program:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/142.shtml

When would be the best days to hit the gym for leg press/squats, bench press, and pullups/lat pulls? I started the pretrain for this program and 3 or 4 days a week I use resistance bands to hit my arms, shoulders, and do a bunch of pushups and situps for calesthetics. But I dont wanna do leg workouts on the days off because I dont want to overtrain. When would it be the best? I was thinking on the days where the running is the lightest/shortest. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

My reason for this is I want to become a firefighter so I need the strength for that, but I'm also interested in Pararescuemen before I become one and that requires a lot of running at 7-minute mile pace, lots of pushups and situps, and being able to do a lot of pullups. I'm trying to find the best way to train for both without much comprimise to one or the other.
    Last edited by FLA1786; 03-10-2007 at 01:10 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 5 K's and weight training

I would run on 3 alternating days a week: say MWF. 1 day sprint interval, 1 day hills, and one day even paced at 7-8 min miles. Can you run 3 miles now? 7-8 minutes pace for 3 miles? If not, working up to that should not be hard. A 5 K is pretty short.

I would lift 3 days a weeK:say TTHSa. Do push (chest shoulders and tri's) one day. Pull one day (Lat pulls, pull ups, bicep curls) and legs one day (Leg press, dead list, squats). A spin on the bike or spin class plus a stretch after to flush the legs after the leg day.

I don't know where to tell you to start on the weights, as I don't know where you are.
    I would do abs every day.
    I would need more information about where you are to tell you more.

Is this the best way to specifically train to be a firefighter? It takes alot more than what I have listed.

Dr. Jen
    www.fireagility.com
    Last edited by Drjmilus; 03-10-2007 at 11:52 PM. Reason: forgot to sign/missspellings

MembersZone Subscriber

Stick with improving your cardio. Coolrunning is a great site with very good advice. You can weight train in addition to running, you should weight train as well as run. you will end up in great shape overall. Also don't forget the diet. Good fuel in will equal good performance.

FLA1786
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ADSNWFLD View Post
    Stick with improving your cardio. Coolrunning is a great site with very good advice. You can weight train in addition to running, you should weight train as well as run. you will end up in great shape overall. Also don't forget the diet. Good fuel in will equal good performance.
    I reached my goal...thanks for the advice though!

Thread Information