Since we are a volunteer department and respond from wherever we are when the tones go off, most of our members keep their gear in their personal vehicles. We also carry a few sets of extra gear on the apparatus.

MembersZone Subscriber

At my dept. we have approx 20 ff's and cover aprox 25 sq miles, I am the Chief and leave my gear at station only because my bed cover is damaged and I don't have a plastic tote for the gear yet, also because I live prety close and am likely to be one of the drivers on a call. Everyone else has the option of leaving it at station but all keep with them in vehicle. We have had a few instances where someone left thier gear at house to go somewhere and got a call, with no gear. Happened to me a few times that is why it is at station. Also I sometimes carry my gear from my paid dept with me and use it for whichever dept I get a call from.
    ______________________________ ____________
    Chris E. Gaines
    CGaines78@Yahoo.Com
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    "When a man becomes a fireman his greatest act of bravery has been accomplished. What he does after that is all in the line of duty."
    ~Edward F. Croker
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, that gives that protestor the freedom to burn the flag." --Father O'Brien, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
    I volunteer @ 2 different departments. Since carrying all that turnout gear in my car wouldn't be feasible. I keep the set of bunker for the department in the district where my home is in my car since I go from station to station depending on manning. For the other department I leave it at the station since I can drive a squad or command truck if arrive at the station and all the apparatus have departed.
    Just out of curiosity, and maybe a little off the subject, does one department mind if you wear their gear for fires with the other department and vice versa? Just seems a bit of a hassle to have to carry around 2 sets of gear. Although it would give you the advantage of keeping one in your car, one at the station. I used to have two sets (one from my full time job) so I was able to do that.

We have a few guys around here that belong to two departments, and their "primary" or home department certainly doesn't mind if they wear their gear for fires with their "other" department. .
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

I keep one set at the station in my "locker" and I keep my old set with me in my truck. I am a high school student (extra year) and have been granted permission to leave school in case of a fire or mva. My school is out of our coverage area by a few miles, so if we get a call, I go straight to the scene in my POV instead of passing the incident to go to the station and catch 2nd or 3rd out truck. I have a walkie that I can give size-up, etc... to units enroute if I am first unit on scene.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Just out of curiosity, and maybe a little off the subject, does one department mind if you wear their gear for fires with the other department and vice versa? Just seems a bit of a hassle to have to carry around 2 sets of gear. Although it would give you the advantage of keeping one in your car, one at the station. I used to have two sets (one from my full time job) so I was able to do that.

We have a few guys around here that belong to two departments, and their "primary" or home department certainly doesn't mind if they wear their gear for fires with their "other" department. .
    I can't even so much as where the gloves from the "other" department. Of course I could in an emergency but the answer to your question is no. Both of these are larger departments w/ paid staff so they operate by the book. It also doesn't help that they're in different counties so if I wore opposite FD's gear I'd really stick out. It would be nice though, as the gear is by two different manufacturers as well, so it's different at times, which sounds crazy, but you know how it is when the tones drop @ 3AM.

Forum Member

I keep one set on my rack in the station, another set in a gear bag in my truck, another set hanging in my house for night-time calls, and another set in my storage closet to rotate into service when any one of the others is being cleaned.

I'm fully aware that this is overkill, but I can afford it, so why not go for maximum convenience?

Most of our folks - who only have the two sets of gear the company issues to them - keep one on their rack in the station and one in their vehicle.

Forum Member

On the apparatus seems very old school to me although my department used to do that too.
    Now all gear is at the station. The only persons allowed to have a second set in their vehicle are chief officers. Many years ago it came down from above that if we have a call you should go to the station to gear up and make sure a truck gets out!! There were many incidents in and around our area where 25 people showed up but nobody remembered to bring the big red things. Almost all departments in our area now have everybody head to the station. Chief officers are the exception.

Forum Member

One of my favorite officers at my old department volunteers for two or three different departments in as many counties and he is certified by the Kentucky Fire Commission as an instructor so he he has several sets.Only one has any markings(KY Fire Commission)so I think he just wears whichever set he has at the time.
    I've never seen him in anything but a red helmet though.I only knew of one local department that wore black.

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Just out of curiosity, and maybe a little off the subject, does one department mind if you wear their gear for fires with the other department and vice versa? .

MembersZone Subscriber

We all keep ours in our vehicles.our area is about 120 sq miles so pov responses with the flow of traffic our normal for us.I live too far from a station to catch a truck except in daytime when im usually the only one on my end of the area and then im driving the truck.Right now my car has the nice aroma of woods fire since I havn't had time to clean my gear from last week.I try to wash it every few calls.

Officers keep their gear in their cars and respond to scene

firefighters keep their gear on the gearrack at the station and dress before they jump on the truck

Most of our drivers keep a set of gear on the First run truck so the drivers never have to worry about having their gear, also if a firefighter on scene has a problem and one of the drivers gear is on the truck and he didn't show, it's fair game for a spare set of gloves, hood, boots, whatever

Forum Member

Once an interior FF in my district you get two sets of gear, one for the station and one for your PV. Right now, as a recruit I only get one set and I keep it in my truck.

I keep mine in the back of my truck. The only members who are required to keep their gear at the firehouse are probies. We want to make sure thye're going to stay around awhile and don't quit after a month and make off with $1000 worth of gear.

Forum Member

Default SOP we have to keep it in station

My department SOP's state that unless you are a line officer, all gear must be stored in the station. As a matter of fact, unless there is immediate life safety threats or you are a line officer, anyone who responds directly to the scene faces a 1 month suspension. If you are a repeat offender, it is grounds for dismissal. Stay safe.

Forum Member

Mine is in my cubby in the gear rack at the station. But I also live only two blocks away. Cheifs and the members who are more distant carry theirs in gearbags in their POVs.

Forum Member

I wear mine all the time. That way I don't have to decide where to store it.

Forum Member

My stuff is hanging on the wall at the station. Some people keep it in their personal vehicles, but I don't want bulky, diry, wet, smelly stuff in my new truck. In fact, I've never carried mine in my personal vehicles in the five years I've been a member despite the fact that I have two sets.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am a career chief officer with a take home car (Crown Vic). My PPE is in the trunk of the car, just like when I was a volunteer many years ago. The plus side is I respond to the scene and always have it with me. The biggest downside is the winter. Nothing worse then putting on cold boots at the start of the incident. I usually take it inside on really cold days.

The shift fire fighters leave their gear in one of the two station they are assigned.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 06-18-2007 at 10:26 PM.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

All of our firefighters are required to keep their gear in the station and respond to the station for calls.

Just say no to POV response!

MembersZone Subscriber

Keep our stuff at the station. The veteran members that have more than one set keep it in their POV or at their house.

All members respond to station unless the run is on the way to the station.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Turnout storage?

In my dept. we "Generally" keep our gear at the station. Those who live outside the district are allowed to keep their gear with them at their home because a call my be closer to them then they are to the station. But those who keep their gear with them at their house are required to go to the station unless the call is on the way to the station.

Forum Member

At my station some keeps the gear there and others keep it at their home. I keep mine at home in a Galls bag. That way I can go straight to the fire instead of going to the firehouse, if I had to.
    Yellowhammer

Cool Gear

My gear is stored in the back of my van in a red bag
    only the Chief Officers and the Career guys have their gear at the hall, we could store our gear there but we respond to in town calls directly so it does not make a lot of sense

fireusafpro
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowhammer View Post
    At my station some keeps the gear there and others keep it at their home. I keep mine at home in a Galls bag. That way I can go straight to the fire instead of going to the firehouse, if I had to.
    A volunteers bible...Galls..LOL.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fireusafpro View Post
    A volunteers bible...Galls..LOL.
    You know that you are a Volunteer wannabe!!!!!

(How else would you even know about Galls!!!)
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

fireusafpro
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by THEFIRENUT View Post
    You know that you are a Volunteer wannabe!!!!!

(How else would you even know about Galls!!!)
    Trust me, Any Firefighter know that galls is a vollies ONLY reading material. Well that and Gay and Proud.

Thread Information