Forum Member

Default Where You Keep Your Turnout Gear?

Our department keeps a lot of turnout gear stored on the apparatus. I've been in and around several volunteer departments and never saw this done before. Most keep it in the firehouse, and most of the other let the members carry it in their vehicles, which makes more sense than putting it on the apparatus. Putting it in the apparatus takes up valuable compartment space, and most of the time, the members' whose gear is on the apparatus don't show up. Our town is quite small, so it is not an issue of members having to travel a long distance to get to the firehouse. What do you think?

Forum Member

Most close people leave there gear at the station. Our station is oddly placed in our coverage area though, as we are located along one side of it, so some people have to drive from halfway across the county. They normally have there gear with them.

MembersZone Subscriber

We've got a mix. The guys who live in or close to town keep their gear at the station. Those who live a ways away keep it with them. No gear is left in compartments, like you say it takes up valuable space.

Some guys will keep their gear in or by the cab of the truck. However, it's only when they're available for that day and are close to the station. The agreement is, if you keep your gear by a riding position, you move it to the locker before you are in a position you're not available.

Forum Member

In a gear bag in the back of my pickup truck.

Some people who live very nearby keep their gear at the station. We keep a few spare sets at the station as well in case someone needs it.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

In our vehicles.

A few of the guys that ride motorcycles a lot will keep it at the closet station.

Forum Member

Whangaparaoa Peninsular North Island New Zealand

Talking Really?

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    In our vehicles.

A few of the guys that ride motorcycles a lot will keep it at the closet station.
    SENSE OF HUMOUR WARNING

Firegear/motorcycle and you all in a WC? I don't believe it-- come out of the closet.

Forum Member

East of the Pecos...South of North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by 2andfrom View Post
    SENSE OF HUMOUR WARNING

Firegear/motorcycle and you all in a WC? I don't believe it-- come out of the closet.
    Here in the South it is an OH. Some of the betters have ID plumbing. My gear rides in my pick-up otherwise.

Forum Member

In my nice little stall at the fire station that has my name on it where everyone else keeps theirs
    If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

Ryan

Forum Member

In the red gear rack the station so nicely paid for, with my name on the front of the locker, so nobody confuses it with the other 40 sets of gear next to it.
    Do a little dance, make a little rum, Italian Ice! Italian Ice!

Actual lyric: Do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight, get down tonight.
    (KC & The Sunshine Band "Do A Little Dance")

My thoughts are mine alone and do not represent the thoughts of any Organization to which I am affiliated.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Putting it in the apparatus takes up valuable compartment space, and most of the time, the members' whose gear is on the apparatus don't show up.
    Quite true....If you let one or two guys do it, then you'll find that all 30 or so will think it's a good idea, and that just won't work.

One thing I've found, though...the guys that don't show up most of the time are the ones who want to keep their gear on the apparatus...see, they don't want to be "bothered" with figuring out a way to keep their gear at the ready, they want it to magically appear at the fire scene when they arrive. These are the same guys who keep their gear in the shed or garage at their house and then show up for a fire with no gear ..."Umm, yeah, I wasn't at home when we got the page..."

Another reason some guys want their gear on the truck is that our response area is pretty spread out, and not everyone comes by the station, depending on where they live....some go to the scene in POV's, so they want their gear to show up with the engine. I say, keep your gear with you and you will have it wherever you are or wherever you are coming from!

Bottom line, if you have even an ounce of dedication, you will figure out a way to have your gear accessible all the time. A couple of us who live close by and always make it to the station for the truck (like myself) keep it at the station. Most others keep in in their POV, either in the trunk if it's a car or in the extra cab or one of those big tool boxes if it's a truck.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Either at the firehouse in the red lockers or in a gear bag at home. We have a mix, some guys like to keep them at the station in the new lockers and some like to take it home so they are already dressed as they pull up to the firehouse.

MembersZone Subscriber

Now that it has warmed up it is in my trunk. But I do have a place at the station for it. Most of the personel keep it in their vehicles. Only the drivers are allowed to place their pants/boots in a side compartment while driving and that is at their discreation.

With the very cold winter we had, we told some of the new FF's that they might want to keep ther gear in the house at night (by the front door). It is real uncomfortable to crawl in your gear if it 15 degrees and your gear is the same temp.. LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

Now that it has warmed up it is in my trunk. But I do have a place at the station for it. Most of the personel keep it in their vehicles. Only the drivers are allowed to place their pants/boots in a side compartment while driving and that is at their discreation.

With the very cold winter we had, we told some of the new FF's that they might want to keep ther gear in the house at night (by the front door). It is real uncomfortable to crawl in your gear if it 15 degrees and your gear is the same temp.. LOL

MembersZone Subscriber

the gear the dept bought me is at the fire station, my personal set is usually in the trunk of my car.

MembersZone Subscriber

Have seen it done all ways in my various gigs, and can argue all methods. I have seen pumpers designed with rollout full depth compartments behind the cab specifically for turnout gear bags, and also converted bread trucks whose primary purpose was transporting the membership's gear to the call (should it be first or second due?? Gear... water..... hmmmmm ).

I keep mine in my vehicle when off duty, and next to the truck when on duty. I never know from shift to shift which station I will be assigned to, so it is not practical to leave it at any of the stations.

I'm not sure how I feel about keeping it with me. We hear the horror stories of all the nasty badness wafting off the gear, so we aren't supposed to store them in the bunkroom or wear them in living areas. Yet we keep them in our vehicles (those of us without trunks) where the heat can cook them into putting out more hazardous fumage even when properly stored in their red bags. Because of the cold in some areas, some people prefer to take the stuff into their homes in the winter, though I stopped doing that myself a few years ago.

The safest, best answer is to store them where they are not a hazard while in storage. Storage in cars is somewhat less hazardous than in the home, as it is much easier to exchange air in a car than in a home. If that means cold boots, maybe that is the lesser price to pay over time. And yes, I did my time in climates with 15F below. Pay now or pay later.
    Last edited by ElectricHoser; 03-12-2007 at 05:37 PM.
    You only have to be stupid once to be dead permanently
    IACOJ Power Company Liason
    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution
    and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy. - Dave Barry.

MembersZone Subscriber

All of us keep the gear in our vehicles or at home. (personal preference) The drivers obviously keep their gear at the station. I know what you are talking about storing it where you will breath in the bad stuff. Some of our guys use big plastic totes with lids. That would be one way to store it at home. I on the other hand don't mind the smell and usually have the gear in ext. cab of my truck. It is just when the wife rides in my truck do I hear about it. Obviously if it was a real bad fire and a lot of toxic fumes and the gear really stinks or the gear is frozen solid, we keep it at the station for a while. Most of us have back up gear for those situations.
    Do not equate money with success. There are many successful moneymakers who are miserable failures as human beings.
    What counts most about success is how a person achieves it.

Nordy

DVFD

At our Dept. The Chief officers, Captains and LT's keep there gear in there personal vich. The FF and Eng must go to the station to ride the truck.The Officers have radio's and make sure a truck is rolling before they head to the call.

K Dugas
    Duson Vol.Fire Dept.
    FF1 Haz Mat OP's

Forum Member

Most of the members at my old department kept their gear at the station,with them and/or for the real hard corps types,at home by the front door.
    I kept mine at the station in the gear grid so I'd know where it was when I got there.
    We had two stations and alternated "hosting"training nights and bring a rig to the training house.Those riding the rig to the other house would pile their gear in whatever compartment was available to keep the cab freed up for leg room.
    We'd keep the D/S #1 compartment reserved for the driver,since he kept his "toys" there for the arcane art of engineering.All the other compartments were fair game.

MembersZone Subscriber

All members are supposed to keep their gear at the station unless the Chief gives them permission to take it home with them. There are a few exceptions such as people who keep gear at our substation and need to take it to the main station for drill. There are only a handful of people who are allowed to take their gear home with them.

Forum Member

Keep them in my pickup. We tend to respond to calls in POVs and I drive the vehicle that is approprate. So its easier for us to have it with us at all times.

MembersZone Subscriber

As Chief, mine stays in my personal truck.

The rest of the guys keep it on the racks at the hall.

We strongly discourage POV responses to scene, as we need to ensure the appropriate trucks can roll.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I keep mine in my truck. An old habit from days gone by. This is because of the 78 square miles we cover and being an officer I may drive directly to the scene, depending where I am at relating to the call. This way at the very least a size up can begin and transmitted to incoming units. Most members keep gear at the station on gear racks. If you keep gear in your vehicle you can drive direct if you would be passing the scene to the station, unless no apparatus is enroute. That is usually not a problem with our department, we average 2 to 3 minutes for an apparatus getting in service. Otherwise we are supposed to respond to the station even if you carry your gear. If for some reason you show up to a scene without gear you are assigned a task that requires no gear, such as traffic control, we carry safety vests for that, or switching over to drive tankers or pump operator. If one has the certification they may be assigned to monitor rehab. You might even be ordered to go to the station where your gear is to stand-by for another call or to ride with mutual-aid companies that respond for an in-station fill in.
    Last edited by LtTim556; 03-16-2007 at 06:27 PM.
    Vintage Firefighter: The older I get, the braver I was.

I leave my gear in my car all the time. If I respond to the station like I do 80% of the time, I have it. If the call is around the corner from my house, I have it. A big gear bag makes things easy

Forum Member

I volunteer @ 2 different departments. Since carrying all that turnout gear in my car wouldn't be feasible. I keep the set of bunker for the department in the district where my home is in my car since I go from station to station depending on manning. For the other department I leave it at the station since I can drive a squad or command truck if arrive at the station and all the apparatus have departed.

Default Keep my gear in my truck

We are a very small dept in a very rural area, I usually couldnt make it to station before the fellas that are close to station. Response with POV is the viable way in my district.

Thread Information